• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

We did that the second game and his replacement torched us (forget his name). It's all about limiting the big play IMO. Regardless if who it is, we can't allow huge chunk plays to Denver.

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post
      I apologize....I meant to say, "Are the Chargers getting love from our own press?" I shouldn't have used "we".
      No, no...you can say 'we'. Weddle cleared that up.

sigpic

Comment

• MakoShark
        Disgruntled
        • Jun 2013
        • North Alabama
        • Send PM

Allow me to spin it this way. The Team may actually take offense to all the 'love' they are getting now. All year they have heard nothing but the negative, if anything at all, and now all of sudden everyone wants on the bandwagon. Before, they were just regular season fodder playing for draft position. Now, they're a 'sexy' pick and everybody wants to write their story. The Chargers should say "F*** them! Its us against the World and we're taking blood samples at the door to check for true blue and gold bleeders! The rest of you GET OFF MY LAWN!"
        sigpic

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
          We did that the second game and his replacement torched us (forget his name). It's all about limiting the big play IMO. Regardless if who it is, we can't allow huge chunk plays to Denver.
          Gage? Just a guess. That name popped into my empty head from nowhere.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post
            I apologize....I meant to say, "Are the Chargers getting love from our own press?" I shouldn't have used "we".
            I have never gotten love from our press.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
              Not so much superstition as I don't want all.this sudden positive spin to creep into their heads and make them overconfident. Sounds silly to have such a mindset heading into a game against a buzzsaw, but I think there is waaaay too much attention being paid to that win in Denver as if we just have to walk in the stadium and the results will replicate themselves.
              Look, the media is doing what they always do. They are encouraging consumption. They have to fuel viewership by talking up what a great game it will be and that's only accomplished if they speak to all the factors that go SD's way. If they weren't talking about any of it, people might not be as inclined to tune in and we'd be complaining that the Chargers weren't getting a fair shake.

I honestly don't think the media has as much impact on the players' views as you attribute to it. We've played Denver twice this year. To come back in the first and win the second, our guys know what went into that. It wasn't just showing up. They also know they are going against one of the greatest QBs of all time, and Thomas, Thomas, Decker and Welker. That's not chopped liver. They nearly blew us out in the first game. They know we're going to play in one of the toughest stadiums in the league. And our guys have been on the losing end of tough losses and almost wins all year. MM is running this "us against the world" thing. And, oh yeah, it's the playoffs. We're not rolling in there 14-2 with Merriman, LT, Phillips, Dflo, VJ, etc. We're going in with Ingram, DJ Fluker, Te'o and L Green and a secondary that's been humiliated most of the year. I personally dont see any way they go in thinking this is a walk in the park. Gates, Weddle, Rivers have all experienced post season heartbreak. They've had a drought and may have worried whether they'd ever get another crack at this. They'll help keep things on an even keel.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Is it too much to ask for a Fluker slam of Phillips this week?

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                  Is it too much to ask for a Fluker slam of Phillips this week?
                  As long as it doesn't draw a penalty at a crucial moment in the game...sure.
                  ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltx
                    Dominate the day
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                    Look, the media is doing what they always do. They are encouraging consumption. They have to fuel viewership by talking up what a great game it will be and that's only accomplished if they speak to all the factors that go SD's way. If they weren't talking about any of it, people might not be as inclined to tune in and we'd be complaining that the Chargers weren't getting a fair shake.

I honestly don't think the media has as much impact on the players' views as you attribute to it. We've played Denver twice this year. To come back in the first and win the second, our guys know what went into that. It wasn't just showing up. They also know they are going against one of the greatest QBs of all time, and Thomas, Thomas, Decker and Welker. That's not chopped liver. They nearly blew us out in the first game. They know we're going to play in one of the toughest stadiums in the league. And our guys have been on the losing end of tough losses and almost wins all year. MM is running this "us against the world" thing. And, oh yeah, it's the playoffs. We're not rolling in there 14-2 with Merriman, LT, Phillips, Dflo, VJ, etc. We're going in with Ingram, DJ Fluker, Te'o and L Green and a secondary that's been humiliated most of the year. I personally dont see any way they go in thinking this is a walk in the park. Gates, Weddle, Rivers have all experienced post season heartbreak. They've had a drought and may have worried whether they'd ever get another crack at this. They'll help keep things on an even keel.
                    I hear ya...and you're probably right. But at this point in the season and especially going against an opponent like Denver, I think having ANY little advantage is really important. And you're probably again right about the players not reading too much into the media, and I think the veterans we have as well as McCoy will do a good job of keeping these guys focused.

As strange as it sounds, I am sort of partial to the Belicheck school of "let's manufacture disrespect to get our guys riled up" because I think on SOME level...it works. JMO.
                    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I hear ya...and you're probably right. But at this point in the season and especially going against an opponent like Denver, I think having ANY little advantage is really important. And you're probably again right about the players not reading too much into the media, and I think the veterans we have as well as McCoy will do a good job of keeping these guys focused.

As strange as it sounds, I am sort of partial to the Belicheck school of "let's manufacture disrespect to get our guys riled up" because I think on SOME level...it works. JMO.
                      I believe that McCoy is kind of doing that with the "us against the world" thing.

Comment

• KNSD
                        Registered Charger Hater
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

As long as it doesn't draw a penalty at a crucial moment in the game...sure.
                        So what you're saying is that it's ok for him to:
                        1. Simply slam Phillips - doesn't have to draw a penalty, nor be at a crucial part of the game.
                        2. Slam Phillips and draw a penalty (but not at a crucial point)
                        3. Slam Phillips at a crucial part of the game (but not draw a penalty).

I'm fine with each of those scenarios.
                        Prediction:
                        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

If you follow what a lot of people are saying, they aren't picking us. They are saying we have a chance. But none of them are really saying that we are the favorites. They are basically covering themselves. Saying that they think it will be an interesting game.

I not only think it will be an interesting game, I think we are going to win. If the guys who made the lines really looked at the teams and checked the matchups, I think they would come to that conclusion too. That is not to say that the Donks can't win. We have to hold Manning in check, because if you are off your game, he will light up any secondary. But that is pretty much the usual disclaimer. That is always going to be true.

You look at the matchups, and our secondary plays well, we get some pass rush, and can stop their run (read tackle), I think we have an outstanding chance. Our D has played really well the last few weeks. Our running game was tough for them to stop last time, and they are missing their best player on D. Manning is potentially scary, but we just have to go in and show no fear. Mix up our coverages, favoring the press stuff a little bit, because Decker and Thomas both get bitchy when you press them a lot. And if we can get some nice solid hits on Manning, that would help.

I just don't think their D matches up against us at all. The only way they stop our running game is to sell out to do it. They only way they stop Rivers and the passing game is to sell out to do it. But if they sell out to stop one, we can beat them with the other, and we are willing to take what they give us all day long. It will keep the ball away from the forehead.

Comment

Working...
                          X