• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Fan Turnout For The Seahawks Game

So there were over 22K in attendance. For a preseason game. In a stadium that only seats maybe 25K. Most were Bolt fans. I know we have a tiny fan base. But it would seem we are growing. I think we are in a way the "something different" in LA. New fans dont want to just jump on the easy train that is the Rams. Im pretty excited about our recovery if we start winning.

Then there is this. Probably some hate watching but still....i have been seeing a lot of haters get back on the wagon.

• Screeme
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Time heals all wounds, right?

I told everyone who asked if I was "still a fan" last season, I'll always be a fan of Rivers, so I'll be a fan til he retires. But, honestly, this season it's a lot easier to just follow the team (it still stings a little to say LA Chargers) and by the time the Rivers retires, I'll probably be excited about whoever his heir apparent is, or Bosa or something else.

I guess what I'm saying is, Last season was tough emotionally, but it's going to get a lot better from here on out.

Being a good team and Winning games certainly won't hurt.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post

I told everyone who asked if I was "still a fan" last season, I'll always be a fan of Rivers, so I'll be a fan til he retires. But, honestly, this season it's a lot easier to just follow the team (it still stings a little to say LA Chargers) and by the time the Rivers retires, I'll probably be excited about whoever his heir apparent is, or Bosa or something else.

I guess what I'm saying is, Last season was tough emotionally, but it's going to get a lot better from here on out.

Nothing makes me happier than having you with us completely on board with these kids.

Comment

• Rugger05
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post

This pretty much sums up my feelings. My only caveat is I will never buy anything that says Los Angeles Chargers. My feeling is more people will come around to this team if they can win. I really believe the depth on this team is something I thought I would never see.

Comment

• Attack
          Attack commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear you on the Chargers gear. I remain a huge Chargers fan til I die, but just can't say "LA" Chargers. I will only buy gear with a lightning bolt or gear that says Chargers. No gear with "LA" on it.

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm firmly convinced that they'll eventually be back in San Diego someday.
      • Hard Charger
        Chargers fan since 1977!
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

It's destiny... We're gonna blow it up this year! Then we'll have all the bandwagon fans jumping on board. I've been a Chargers fan since '77, never lived in San Diego for a second (my daughter does for the moment). It cut me deeply when they moved! I hate the fact that they moved, but I just can't see myself dropping this team.

HC

Comment

• JDA21
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I'm still going through some strong emotions regarding the Chargers. At times, I'm interested and read up on what's going on. Other times, the hate for The Spanos family overcomes me. If the LA Chargers ever win the Superbowl, it would be a slap in the face.

Comment

• richpjr
            richpjr commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not sure I have ever found anyone who is a fan of the Spanos family. Most, if not all, of us root for the team in spite of them, not because of them. I had season tickets for 28 years and likely will never go to a game in LA, but I'm still rooting for them.

• Bolt-O
            Bolt-O commented
            Editing a comment
            I've noticed that the Spani have been conspicuously absent from the preseason gamecasts. Maybe due to Faye passing on, but its better they just stay off the airways.

• WindsorUK
            WindsorUK commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm in the same boat.
            Hearing the words Los Angeles before the Chargers still makes me want to puke. I assume some day the nausea will pass.
        • Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Originally posted by JDA21 View Post
          I'm still going through some strong emotions regarding the Chargers. At times, I'm interested and read up on what's going on. Other times, the hate for The Spanos family overcomes me. If the LA Chargers ever win the Superbowl, it would be a slap in the face.
          So how does that work? Do you hope they dont win a Superbowl?

Comment

• UtahBolt
            Did we win?
            • Jun 2013
            • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
            • Send PM

It's interesting because it seems like there is still some animosity for the team outside of So Cal as well. I recently traveled the country for a year and anytime I wore a Chargers shirt or hat, I would get some sort of question along the lines of "are you still a fan"? I even went to the NFL Hall of Fame a week after LT was enshrined and when I walked up to the ticket office with a Chargers shirt, the guy in the booth even said is that an LA shirt or still a SD shirt? I said it was a Charger and shirt he said something like, "oh your still a fan then" with a disapproving smirk. This was actually at the NFL Hall of Fame!

More recently, we hosted a gathering and the topic of football came up and a good friend of mine said to me and another Chargers fan there (probably the only other one in Utah!) that he can't believe we were still a fan. That what the Spanii did was inexcusable and that we are basically sheep to keep following them. I simply replied with "yes, the way they handled the whole thing was awful but there was fault on all sides and...well...what were they supposed to do?" Stopped him cold. Not to bring up the whole move argument again, but I have found that no one can answer that question (because there is no right or wrong answer) and it seems to settle the dispute pretty quickly.

I know some of you will have a much more informed response to that question and it is not my intent to search for the answer, it is simply to say that there is still a lot of disapproval out there and that is the one way I found to counter it when challenged.
            I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              Heatmiser commented
              Editing a comment
              I live near Cleveland and fans here went through the same thing when Modell stole the team. (By the way, what Modell did makes the Spanos family look like saints. What a despicable, greedy person Art was). It is not unusual to hear questions like these when any team moves. Over time, people forget all about it. I remain a fan but will always call them the San Diego Chargers.
              TG

• SDFan
              SDFan commented
              Editing a comment
              BIG difference with CLE situation: the city got to keep the name, unis, etc. AND the NFL gave them a new team back.
          • Hard Charger
            Chargers fan since 1977!
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

"I remain a fan but will always call them the San Diego Chargers."

So does everyone else, it seems. The field announcer did it during the Seattle game...

HC

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

"San Diego Chargers" sounded perfectly.

Comment

• Boltergeist
                Pesky apparition
                • Jun 2013
                • Baja Oklahoma
                • Send PM

I'm obviously not gone and continue to follow the team. I still hate the spanii for what they have done. I followed a team through highs and lows from the time I was five. I knew when they finally won the Superbowl, I would be able to say that I stuck with the San Diego Chargers through thick and thin. And then someone whose daddy bought the team when I had already been a fan for more than a decade decides to move them because he was afraid the Raiders would steal his market, proving that loyalty is a oneway street. It sucked last year and it sucks this year.

To answer Fleet's question even though it wasn't directed at me; I won't root against them in any game and if they go to the Superbowl I will root for Rivers and his team to win. There will be a painful side to it in that my dream of finally seeing the San Diego Chargers win the Superbowl was stolen by an entitled brat with no vision. It will be bittersweet to say the least. It will be even worse watching Deano lift the Lombardy Trophy. The funny thing is, if they had just thrown a bone to San Diego fans; called the team the Southern California Chargers or not been so tone deaf in their pursuit of the "fight" for LA, I might feel differently. I wish I could get over it like a lot of you have, but it still doesn't feel right.

Comment

• richpjr
                  richpjr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Spanos family could be the most tone deaf ownership group ever. There are other lousy owners, greedy owners and sleazy owners but never have I seen such bumbling clown like Dean who just can't out of his own way. Yet somehow, here I am, still rooting for them...

• BoltBacker
                  BoltBacker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree that Spanos's could have handled it better but the city of San Diego is to blame as well.
              • Joy Division
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

I'm a Chargers fan. They could move to the CFL and I'd still be a Chargers fan eh...

Comment

Working...
                X