As one of Mathews' biggest detractors over the years....

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
    But still, every time he touched the ball, there was this little voice in my head saying please hold onto the ball.

And I support him 100% now.
    That little voice faded away with each game, by the 2nd Denver game he gained my trust completely.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Eating crow.

I imagine if OIP dug back in the archives from earlier this year he could find a thread started by me and titled "I'm done."

I recant.

Mathews has really shown me something this year. I'm not sure he will ever be the complete back I envisioned but he's shown me some real toughness this year. Like Woodhead, he has the ability to move piles for additional yards where often they don't appear to be. Or to squirt out the other side of a pile. He has always initiated contact but he's done it more productively this year. he's played through some pain. I still get bummed out on some of his blocking, his choices in hitting the holes/following blockers and seeming inability to break the long ones for scores (finishing). But in fairness, I am comparing him to his predecessor and maybe placing too much emphasis on his draft position. He's cut down on fumbles and improved enough in areas of weakness while maintaining the skills I've always admired. I think there's a place for RM on my team. But I think he is at his best as part of a rotation. And this year, with Woodhead, we've had a lot of productivity out of the position.

I'm pleased to be have been wrong about this.

Comment

• RTPbolt
        Charger Fan till the end
        • Jun 2013
        • North Carolina
        • Send PM

I NEVER gave up on the kid. He's just learning the ropes in the first few seasons. It was obvious the kid runs damned hard and is a natural North South runner that fights for yards...few do a good job of that. What's rare is his speed to the edge and to me that sets him apart...i think it was the Denver game or Oakland game when he ran to the sideline, cut and was just gone for the 20-30 yard TD...pretty special ability. He's learning to use his blockers better and has pretty good vision. He doesnt try a lot of wiggle in his running which might limit his long TD chances but frankly those contribute to fumbles IMO getting hit unexpectedly from behind. He's not LT (nobody will every be) but he's a dangerous multi-purpose player that has progressed every year...he's a bell cow back with speed.

His two knocks were fumbling which he's shown he has learned to limit this year, and getting a major injury which is hard to control.

Kid needed coaches to believe in him and coach him up. He's responded with 1200+ yards and 6 100 yard games (most in the NFL this year I think). Can't ask for a lot more but he will improve his blocking over time IMO. He's close to a complete back.

Mathews deserves series kudos for helping carry this team along with Rivers, Gates and Allen on Offense.

Comment

• maurile
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Neither Green nor Gates are very good blockers, but Green is less bad.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
              He has ran the ball very hard this year.

Wish he had just a bit more breakaway speed...rarely can he break the big one, but he's really played well.
              It's not speed that breaks the long runs. It is just making sure that everyone gets blocked. We need to doa better job of having the WR block downfield to get the really long runs. With the exception of VB, the WR this year are not very good blocking downfield. Floyd is a good downfield blocker, since he dates back to being a blocker for LT.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                Why? We are set with Mathews and Woodhead.
                upgrade over Ronnie Brown
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by maurile View Post
                  Neither Green nor Gates are very good blockers, but Green is less bad.
                  Ive seen Green make some good blocks. But Id have to say I think Gates is better.
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    It's not speed that breaks the long runs. It is just making sure that everyone gets blocked. We need to doa better job of having the WR block downfield to get the really long runs. With the exception of VB, the WR this year are not very good blocking downfield. Floyd is a good downfield blocker, since he dates back to being a blocker for LT.
                    Good point, but I also think he limits himself by some of the decisions he makes.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

I don't disagree, but I do think the open field running can be learned. Inside running is moistly instinct, but once you get into the open field, you can get better with experience and he hasn't had that many chances to get into the open field until lately. But even if he doesn't, I'm fine with what he is finally doing.

I do want to upgrade the downfield blocking too though.

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                        But still, every time he touched the ball, there was this little voice in my head saying please hold onto the ball.

And I support him 100% now.
                        Seconded. Great year for the kid!
                        sigpic

Comment

• TTK
                          EX-Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • America's Finest City
                          • Send PM

Way to go, Ryan!

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jan/03/bolts-block-busters-chargers-ryan-mathews-nfl

Mathews thanks offensive line with Gucci

Comment

Working...
                          X