• Eastlake
    • Send PM

Practice Squad if he's lucky.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I was thinking he was fourth after Green on the depth chart.
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
        I was thinking he was fourth after Green on the depth chart.
        Doubt we keep 4 TE's again. We'll keep Goodman before we keep a 4th string TE IMO.

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
          Doubt we keep 4 TE's again. We'll keep Goodman before we keep a 4th string TE IMO.

depends how many RBs & OLs we keep. Gates & Phillips have injury history and Green is more raw and not seen as a blocking TE.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
            depends how many RBs & OLs we keep. Gates & Phillips have injury history and Green is more raw and not seen as a blocking TE.
            Doesn't even matter, IMO. A UDFA TE isn't gonna be more valuable than an extra OL, RB, WR, or even DB/LB who will play extensively in ST's. Unless this guy is a ST demon, he's toast IMO. Gates/Green will be the pass catching TE's, with Philips handling the main blocking duties. Just don't see a need for the guy.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Even on a team without a lot of depth, making the final 53 is tough.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Yubaking
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

The way the roster is setting up, it will be very difficult for Walker to make the final 53 due to what seems to be happening at several other positions.

At WR, the team is more or less forced to keep Meachem regardless of his performance due to his salary cap unfriendly contract. Alexander, Floyd and Brown will easily make the team on ability as will Allen if he can remember which team's uniform to wear. That leaves Royal and Goodman and I don't see Walker beating out either of those players.

At RB, we do not have a reliable #2. Rather, we have a #1, a FB and two #3 RBs. So, if the team is going to keep Brown, then they almost have to add another RB to be the #2, especially in light of Mathews' injury history. Woodhead is too small to be the primary ball carrier and Brown lacks the ability to excel in that role at this point in his career. Maybe Brown will get cut, but if the team carries 5 RBs, that's one more deep offensive position that will take away from Walker's chance to make the team.

Also, at OL, there are many mediocre and/or young players that aren't separated by much in terms of demonstrated ability at this point in their careers. I could definitely see the team keeping 9 OL players and with there being a year long battle for starting jobs everywhere except OC. Baxter, Clary, Dombrowski, Dunlap, Fluker, Hardwick, Harris, Molk, Ohrnberger, Rinehart, Schilling, Starks and Troutman are just the top 13 OL guys. I could see us keeping Clary, Dunlap, Fluker, Hardwick, Molk, Rinehart, Starks, Troutman and at least one of Baxter, Dombrowski, Harris, Ohrnberger and Schilling, which would give the team 9 OL players.

Because of these and other roster considerations, I do not see Walker making the final 53 players.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Even OC is up for competition IMO
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                    The way the roster is setting up, it will be very difficult for Walker to make the final 53 due to what seems to be happening at several other positions.

At WR, the team is more or less forced to keep Meachem regardless of his performance due to his salary cap unfriendly contract. Alexander, Floyd and Brown will easily make the team on ability as will Allen if he can remember which team's uniform to wear. That leaves Royal and Goodman and I don't see Walker beating out either of those players.
                    At RB, we do not have a reliable #2. Rather, we have a #1, a FB and two #3 RBs. So, if the team is going to keep Brown, then they almost have to add another RB to be the #2, especially in light of Mathews' injury history. Woodhead is too small to be the primary ball carrier and Brown lacks the ability to excel in that role at this point in his career. Maybe Brown will get cut, but if the team carries 5 RBs, that's one more deep offensive position that will take away from Walker's chance to make the team.
                    Also, at OL, there are many mediocre and/or young players that aren't separated by much in terms of demonstrated ability at this point in their careers. I could definitely see the team keeping 9 OL players and with there being a year long battle for starting jobs everywhere except OC. Baxter, Clary, Dombrowski, Dunlap, Fluker, Hardwick, Harris, Molk, Ohrnberger, Rinehart, Schilling, Starks and Troutman are just the top 13 OL guys. I could see us keeping Clary, Dunlap, Fluker, Hardwick, Molk, Rinehart, Starks, Troutman and at least one of Baxter, Dombrowski, Harris, Ohrnberger and Schilling, which would give the team 9 OL players.

Because of these and other roster considerations, I do not see Walker making the final 53 players.
                    ever heard of an H-back? We have 1 "true" FB on the roster who actually may help us more as the #2 RB. I don't see 2 "pass catching" TEs active each week if Gates is healthy. I think Mathews and Gates and Woodhead are locks- but there's probably 5 more RB, TE, H-back spots open to get enough runners and blockers to make the offense go. Phillips has injury history and we need another inline or lead blocker if McClain is used much at RB. And what about Gronk the FB- why sign him? A TE can also be used as an OL in a pinch if he is versatile enough. I could see Brown getting cut. I could see 2-3 H-back types in addition to Gates & Green at TE. I think I'd like to see Walker play some in preseason before speculating on his chances, but the final group of RB, TE, FB, H-back is far from settled.
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

We should have signed Tebow!

(Joke)
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• thelightningwill
                        Go Aztecs and Pads
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

If we ever need to kick somebody into a slow motion arch over a table and onto a pile of exploding chairs, Walker is our man.

Comment

Working...
                        X