• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

1/4 to 1/3 of the roster will be gone next year. No worries, the money always works out and we never lose anybody that really counts.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• blahblahblah
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2013
      • Send PM

The rebuild is targeting 2015. Look at the contracts, etc. They can turn over just about the entire roster by the start of '15 without cap implications. That's why Freeney has a two year deal, etc. That's just the way the money turns out.

The money should be there next year to possibly resign Butler (I don't know if he's in the long term plans), potentially extend Woodhead, and evaluate Dunlap for another year. We should also be able to pick up some more complimentary pieces and build through the draft.

2015 there will be a lot of money available but we're looking at replacing Hardwick and Gates by then. Those are big holes, but the resources will be there. Unfortunate for them, but hey, that's the NFL. The team should still be fun (and better) next year, but a title will take significant luck. In 2015 Allen, Fluker, Te'o will still be on rookie contracts, as well as anyone drafted in '14 or '15 and anyone else from this year's draft who develops. Rivers will still hopefully be in his prime. Anyone from the 2011-2012 drafts worth extending can be kept. Room for a couple big FA.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Allen will be getting at least VJ money by then if they want to lock him up before they cant afford him.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• thelightningwill
          Go Aztecs and Pads
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blahblahblah View Post
          The rebuild is targeting 2015. Look at the contracts, etc. They can turn over just about the entire roster by the start of '15 without cap implications. That's why Freeney has a two year deal, etc. That's just the way the money turns out.

The money should be there next year to possibly resign Butler (I don't know if he's in the long term plans), potentially extend Woodhead, and evaluate Dunlap for another year. We should also be able to pick up some more complimentary pieces and build through the draft.

2015 there will be a lot of money available but we're looking at replacing Hardwick and Gates by then. Those are big holes, but the resources will be there. Unfortunate for them, but hey, that's the NFL. The team should still be fun (and better) next year, but a title will take significant luck. In 2015 Allen, Fluker, Te'o will still be on rookie contracts, as well as anyone drafted in '14 or '15 and anyone else from this year's draft who develops. Rivers will still hopefully be in his prime. Anyone from the 2011-2012 drafts worth extending can be kept. Room for a couple big FA.
          I assume Green replaces Gates.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
            Its all im saying. It isnt "dire" and never said it was but to have some room to just sign our rookies, they will need to release some players and thats what ive been saying. Some players will get released. It was stated that we can just keep everyone and not add FA's and we will be fine and that is not true. There will be some changes, there always is.

Rinehart is not under contract for next year for example......we need a OG and if Troutman steps in, great and he most likely will, then we need some depth behind him but we wont be able to resign Rinehart if we dont let anybody go,........ and then you have to account for injuries and be able to sign some replacements during the season which is how we ended up with Freeney.
            it's clear they will not have to release anyone just to SIGN THE ROOKIES. They can easily come up with several million by restructuring a couple vets. Releases IMO will be driven by if a guy can play and fits our plans going forward.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
              it's clear they will not have to release anyone just to SIGN THE ROOKIES. They can easily come up with several million by restructuring a couple vets. Releases IMO will be driven by if a guy can play and fits our plans going forward.
              Well i guess some of you are going to be surprised. Dont you think we will need more than just being able to sign our rookies? Resigning Butler and injuries during the season? Im not and never have called for a drastic purging as some seem to think im saying but a few guys are going to go. Its not like this is a superbowl roster right now and we cant afford to lose anyone.

Comment

• KNSD
                Registered Charger Hater
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                "Hurries and pressures are useless"--Yubaking.

Anyway, in thinking about some of these guys I will say that it is interesting to see how our D has played with Jarret Johnson back in the fold.
                It was SOOO painful to watch him in the middle of that 5 under 3 deep zone against Denver. He's so slow, and it was like a big "throw to my zone Peyton!" sign the Chargers were putting out there. And Peyton did throw it there, and Johnson looked so clumsy on a bunch of plays - missing tackles, etc...

BUT, he made enough good solid tackles to be effective, and every time the Broncos threw the ball at him, the clock wound down because the guy wouldn't get out of bounds.

I LOL'd.
                Prediction:
                Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Well i guess some of you are going to be surprised. Dont you think we will need more than just being able to sign our rookies? Resigning Butler and injuries during the season? Im not and never have called for a drastic purging as some seem to think im saying but a few guys are going to go. Its not like this is a superbowl roster right now and we cant afford to lose anyone.
                  did you even READ the Acee article covering this? They can come up with something like $14 Million with a couple minor releases and a few restructures. Yeah, I know I DID say the word "release", but no huge surprises or worries there: Acee mentioned Royal (guy CAN'T stay 100% healthyand can't practice during week anyways), McClain, and possibly Floyd (again can't stay healthy may not even play again from neck) to get ~$7 Mil right off the bat. Take out either JJ or Freeney for a couple Million more and we haven't even started restructuring the easy ones: Clary, Rivers, Gates. IIRC, they normally set aside $2.5-$4 Mil for rookie pool depending on number of picks they have. This is childs play and won't devastate the roster of keepers for next year at all.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

did you even READ the Acee article covering this? They can come up with something like $14 Million with a couple minor releases and a few restructures. Yeah, I know I DID say the word "release", but no huge surprises or worries there: Acee mentioned Royal (guy CAN'T stay 100% healthyand can't practice during week anyways), McClain, and possibly Floyd (again can't stay healthy may not even play again from neck) to get ~$7 Mil right off the bat. Take out either JJ or Freeney for a couple Million more and we haven't even started restructuring the easy ones: Clary, Rivers, Gates. IIRC, they normally set aside $2.5-$4 Mil for rookie pool depending on number of picks they have. This is childs play and won't devastate the roster of keepers for next year at all.
                    No shit i read it...and as he said...there very well could be a few released and most likely will. What am i saying different? What is so fucking hard to comprehend that im saying the same fucking thing? Did i say they were going to purge the whole fucking team? Geesus people!

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

No shit i read it...and as he said...there very well could be a few released and most likely will. What am i saying different? What is so fucking hard to comprehend that im saying the same fucking thing? Did i say they were going to purge the whole fucking team? Geesus people!
                      the tone of your posts is that you are buying the idea we are screwed WRT Salary Cap next year unless we release some KEY guys to gain $ just to sign rookies and none left for FA. Of course there will be some guys released that have contracts that don't fit or are obsoleted in the system. Also some guys will become FA and not pursued again. No reason to panic and think big names and key contributers will be among those.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

I don't think the salary cap is a big deal next year. TT isn't going to be a big player in free agency anyway. I do think a couple of overpaid but replaceable guys will get cut and a couple of guys given extensions to give them a nice amount of cap space to play with though.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

the tone of your posts is that you are buying the idea we are screwed WRT Salary Cap next year unless we release some KEY guys to gain $ just to sign rookies and none left for FA. Of course there will be some guys released that have contracts that don't fit or are obsoleted in the system. Also some guys will become FA and not pursued again. No reason to panic and think big names and key contributers will be among those.
                          I never said we are screwed. All i said is we are going to have to release some players to get under the cap to sign our rookies, resign Butler and have some room to sign a FA or two and perhaps some others when we have injuries. When did i ever say different? I posted next years salaries to show we will already be over the cap before we do anything else.

I just suggested that Freeney and OR JJ could be those guys though id prefer to keep JJ over Freeney and we all know McClain will be gone and perhaps Floyd or Royal and maybe Clary. Id love to see then cut Cox and sign either Verner or Shields.

If we do ALL that Acee says is possible then we would be in great shape cap wise but doubt all that happens. Not everyone will be up for a restructure of their deals.
                          Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-20-2013, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X