• Show
Clear All
  • zoom
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Lissemore starting at NT

From UT:

A contract year for Cam Thomas with the Chargers could be the last year.

That is the direction, anyway, the situation appears ahead.

The fourth-year veteran nose tackle has been replaced in San Diego's starting lineup, Sean Lissemore getting the nod Sunday versus the Giants. Lissemore joined the Chargers on a September trade with the Cowboys for a compensatory draft pick, and he is under team control in 2014.

Thomas is not. This is the final year of the 2010 fifth-round pick's rookie deal.

He said Tuesday his approach to the rotation change is to "take it like a man."

"Come ready to play," Thomas said. "Basically, no difference in my mindset. Everything is competition. You just keep going. Keep building. We're out here trying to do something."

Lissemore's promotion was decided in the aftermath of the team's loss to the Bengals one week earlier.

Cincinnati rushed for 164 yards, including 101 in the second half. To ice the game, it chewed 35 yards on eight straight runs, burning three timeouts with three first downs.

This is a rotation change, not a benching.

Thomas, who's made 10 of his 15 career NFL starts this year, played a season-low 17 defensive snaps Sunday against New York. But that was only three fewer than Lissemore.

When asked about Lissemore, defensive coordinator John Pagano said Tuesday he was "very excited" about the 26-year-old.

"His play has really gotten better once he got into the system and what what (defensive line coach) Don Johnson has done with him," Pagano said. "He is a guy that can play the nose or at the end for us. He's a hard worker and disciplined player that is very structured in his game. He needs to keep getting better like everyone, but I thought he played well last week."

In Dallas, Lissemore fell on the short end of an offseason scheme change.

The Cowboys went from a 3-4 to 4-3 alignment, the latter a lesser fit for his skill set. Rather than cut him after the preseason, they traded him to San Diego for a compensatory seventh-round draft pick in 2015.

In joining the Chargers' 3-4, Lissemore needed to regain some of the weight he lost and learn a new language. He did both.

A listed defensive end, he said it'd been a while since he last played so much nose tackle in one game, adding it "went well."

"It's a physical, physical position," Lissemore said. "I always pride myself on being a physical player, but pretty much any position on the defensive line is physical. ... Nose is like stepping into an intersection. You never know where you're going to get hit from. It's tough, but it's fun."
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I thought teams could not trade compensatory picks. See ya Cam Thomas, eventually.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
      I thought teams could not trade compensatory picks. See ya Cam Thomas, eventually.
      You can't. They probably meant 'conditional'??

Comment

• blahblahblah
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

I've been more than okay with Lissemore so far. I didn't see the NYG game but if he can solidify the position our long term strategy really changes.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

No need to draft a NT in the first now!!!
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2013
            • Send PM

It's still a shame we never got to see Byron Jerideu

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

so he'll get cut again if we switch to 4-3 like some on here want?
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Finally. Good to see Cam finally get benched. He's been awful for 3 seasons now. It's too bad, he had a lot of potential
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Opera singer and web developer.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                  Finally. Good to see Cam finally get benched. He's been awful for 3 seasons now. It's too bad, he had a lot of potential
                  He's not benched. It's a rotation. He's just not the starter. And he's responded well. I feel he's a good rotation, keep-the-starter-fresh type of guy. In that role on Sunday he had one of his better games. I would not be opposed to bringing back on the cheap to be a rotational guy. (And I wouldn't be bothered if we let him walk, either.)

We still need to add a stud DT, IMO. Hopefully, the three BAPs when we draft in rounds 1-3 will be, in no particular order, either DT, OLB, LT, or DB.
                  Adipose

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                    so he'll get cut again if we switch to 4-3 like some on here want?
                    That would suck and be kinda funny at the same time. A real WTF? moment.
                    sigpic

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                      He's not benched. It's a rotation. He's just not the starter. And he's responded well. I feel he's a good rotation, keep-the-starter-fresh type of guy. In that role on Sunday he had one of his better games. I would not be opposed to bringing back on the cheap to be a rotational guy. (And I wouldn't be bothered if we let him walk, either.)

We still need to add a stud DT, IMO. Hopefully, the three BAPs when we draft in rounds 1-3 will be, in no particular order, either DT, OLB, LT, or DB.
                      isn't that the same role envisioned for Geathers? probably only keep 1 of those types going forward.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• zoom
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Have to think that Geathers has not impressed to this point. There were opportunities for him to earn some reps and he hasn't even been active. Maybe they are stashing, but i have a bad feeling (hope i am wrong).

Same goes with Taylor (not to derail this thread).

Comment

Working...
                        X