X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pumpkinhead80

people liked hester? guess i had to look in obscure corners of the internet to finally find some.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Who cares what his 40 time is. It's meaningless. And at 205 pounds he is going to have a hard time running through all the tackles like he did on those highlight clips. He is an interesting prospect, but he probably has very little chance of stepping up from Div II to the NFL, especially given he is not very big.

But the thing people are forgetting, who is going to play FB? Even if we carry 4 TE, we probably are going to want to carry someone who can be a FB. It is not like those TE are blockers. Green is a smallish, receiver type of build, who can probably turn into an OK blocker, but he will always be a receiver first. Gates is a receiver first too. So that means in short yardage Phillips is the only true inline TE we have. So, someone is still going to have to line up in the backfield to lead block. So, if we carry a 4th RB, that guy would also need to be a FB type, or at least it makes it easier to scheme things.

I used to like Brown better, but he has shown he is very injury prone, and didn't flash much in the way of remaining run skills. He catches well, and he can catch out of the backfield, but so can Woodhead. And he cannot lead block. So, he has to prove he can be a solid backup to Mathews, who is not exactly a rock of granite. I think Brown is the guy who is on the hot seat more so then McClain, just because as the 4th RB, McClain is the 4th RB and the 1st FB. You have to carry 4 RB, so if the 4th RB is a FB, then you are fine for those few times you need one.

The #2 RB is where we need someone to step up. Is Brown the guy? I can't see Woodhead not being the main 3rd down option. He will get some change of pace, but he cannot carry the load. So Brown is the odd guy out.

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

Hill is more of a developmental guy IMO, practice squad guy more than likely. You make a good point that he needs to put on a bit of muscle, but he has the frame to do that. He may have already done so. I like his highlight reel, but it's just that - highlights. Maybe he's the next Arian Foster, who knows.

As far as the FB position is concerned, I will just point to this - 8% of offensive snaps. That's how often Gronk or Hester was on the field last season COMBINED for McCoy.

Compared to Dreessen and Tamme = 75% and 46%

It's the reason they signed Philips the 1st day of FA. He's going to be on the field a lot. We are going to use many, many, many more 2 TE sets, then a 1TE/1FB set.

At this point, McClain's salary just isn't justified for the amount of playing time he's expected to receive in McCoy's offense. The FB position just isn't very valuable anymore with the increasing versatility that 2 TE sets bring. If he's not on the field very often, I can see McCoy going with C. Gronk who knows the system already.

We get a nominal 1.4 mill this season for dumping McClain, but more importantly we get 4 mill in cap room next season.

Ravens pretty much just did the same thing dumping Vonta Leech who is considered the best FB in the league. They also transitioned to a predominant 2 TE system with Pitta and Ed Davis.
        Last edited by Beerman; 07-14-2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
          With the choice between Hester and McClain the team made the wrong choice.
          because NOrv would have used Hester better than he used McClain? He couldn't figure out how to use Tolbert OR Hester the year before so he loses Tolbert to FA, then begs AJ to sign McClain- and cuts Hester. To me this says more about NOrv's deficiencies than McClain's.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
            because NOrv would have used Hester better than he used McClain? He couldn't figure out how to use Tolbert OR Hester the year before so he loses Tolbert to FA, then begs AJ to sign McClain- and cuts Hester. To me this says more about NOrv's deficiencies than McClain's.
            I don't think that was the case. Wasn't there supposedly a rift between AJ and Norv because he wasn't getting the players he wanted? McClain played in 33% of snaps last season on offense. Hardly seems like a worthwhile addition for the usage.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post

As far as the FB position is concerned, I will just point to this - 8% of offensive snaps. That's how often Gronk or Hester was on the field last season COMBINED for McCoy.

Compared to Dreessen and Tamme = 75% and 46%.
              Simple explanation. Gronkowski is not an NFL FB and Hester was signed after Mcgahee got injured late in the year and played 3 games
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                Norv did use Hester better. Because Hester could block. McClain couldn't.
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• thelightningwill
                  Go Aztecs and Pads
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                  Norv did use Hester better. Because Hester could block. McClain couldn't.
                  Hester couldn't block.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                    Hester couldn't block.
                    As a rookie you are correct
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Boltdog
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Lunar Surface
                      • Nutrition Consultant
                      • Send PM

McClain probably no longer has the burst that allowed him to be an RB with previous teams, but maybe he'll get a chance to show if he can contribute to this new offense. More likely he gets released due to his contract numbers, and so we can pick up some DB, OL, or NT backups as needed prior to the regular season....
                      Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdog View Post
                        McClain probably no longer has the burst that allowed him to be an RB with previous teams, but maybe he'll get a chance to show if he can contribute to this new offense. More likely he gets released due to his contract numbers, and so we can pick up some DB, OL, or NT backups as needed prior to the regular season....
                        You don't keep a FB in the hopes that he can be a mediocre RB IMO at his price tag. Writing is on the wall IMO if we need cap space. My guess is he's the first to go and we keep the cheaper C. Gronk who McCoy used last season.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                          You don't keep a FB in the hopes that he can be a mediocre RB IMO at his price tag. Writing is on the wall IMO if we need cap space. My guess is he's the first to go and we keep the cheaper C. Gronk who McCoy used last season.
                          McCoy didn't use Gronk last season and he didn't use him because he sucks
                          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X