• Show
Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

they also had a bunch of down years where they stockpiled picks even before Carroll got there, so he had a pretty deep roster to work with going in.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• BoltBalls
      Always keep eye contact!
      • Jun 2013
      • SD!
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      i don't like it for any team outside of QB. On the radio the other day the host was bitching about the Broncos injuries and his co-host called him out which I loved.

Basically said every teams fans complain about a their injuries. The Chiefs, the Pats, The Falcons and he rattled off a bunch of injuries across the NFL. It's the same for every team.
      I agree, perhaps for the QB it might be excusable but there is a reason why teams draft up and coming QBs even with a solid starter and evaluate all of their backups. The Chargers still beat the Colts in '07 divisional playoff game when Rivers went down. We had a solid backup QB in Volek. Injuries should never be an excuse but they are anyways, especially for the media darlings.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Ive been saying for a couple years now that we need to model our team after the Seahawks....but i was referring to the draft. Carrol went 7-9 his first 2 seasons. Hardly stellar. Most will say McCoy needs to be fired if we end up 7-9 this year. The Seahawaks current roster is loaded with starters that were drafted under Carrol's tenure. And the depth they have is better than most teams...also drafted under Carrol. They waited a couple years for the team to develop this talent and in the 3rd and 4th years of that rebuild went out and signed big names. They did it the right way. We made some bad free agent moves this year. But those players can come off the books relatively easily sooner rather than later. So that in the 3rd year of this rebuild we should be sitting pretty cap wise. I still think this team needs another solid draft next year...then another in 2016 coupled with some minor splashes and then in 2017 go after the big names. We will have 4 drafts under our belts and should be in the hunt as superbowl contenders at that point. I know many dont want to wait that long...but Seahawk fans had to wait for the 3rd year to be competitive. I can wait if it means we will be loaded in 3-4 years.

The key is drafting well and developing. I agree Pagano isnt the answer. McCoy needs to bring in his guy over there. And that guy needs to bring in his position coaches. Developing our draft picks especially on that side of the ball is imperative to our success.

For this team to even compete with the scrubs we have makes me feel like the staff will be able to turn better talent into premium players. Offensively i see the work paying off. But drafting defense will probably be the major theme over the next couple years so we need to get rolling on the coaching part of it.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

For this team to even compete with the scrubs we have makes me feel like the staff will be able to turn better talent into premium players. Offensively i see the work paying off. But drafting defense will probably be the major theme over the next couple years so we need to get rolling on the coaching part of it.
          That's kind of where I'm netting out.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            Ive been saying for a couple years now that we need to model our team after the Seahawks....but i was referring to the draft. Carrol went 7-9 his first 2 seasons. Hardly stellar. Most will say McCoy needs to be fired if we end up 7-9 this year. The Seahawaks current roster is loaded with starters that were drafted under Carrol's tenure. And the depth they have is better than most teams...also drafted under Carrol. They waited a couple years for the team to develop this talent and in the 3rd and 4th years of that rebuild went out and signed big names. They did it the right way. We made some bad free agent moves this year. But those players can come off the books relatively easily sooner rather than later. So that in the 3rd year of this rebuild we should be sitting pretty cap wise. I still think this team needs another solid draft next year...then another in 2016 coupled with some minor splashes and then in 2017 go after the big names. We will have 4 drafts under our belts and should be in the hunt as superbowl contenders at that point. I know many dont want to wait that long...but Seahawk fans had to wait for the 3rd year to be competitive. I can wait if it means we will be loaded in 3-4 years.

The key is drafting well and developing. I agree Pagano isnt the answer. McCoy needs to bring in his guy over there. And that guy needs to bring in his position coaches. Developing our draft picks especially on that side of the ball is imperative to our success.

Carroll must have set some kind of a record for player movement when he took over. His roster bore almost no resemblance at the end of that first year to when he started tearing things down. I believe this is the best way to start a rebuild if you don't see talent there.

Our situation is a bit different in that we had talent at some spots and uncertainty at many others because the previous regime failed to develop it's young players. This is a time for patience as we needed this year to evaluate just how much of a tear down is needed at the end of the season.

I am a "burn down a poor crop to feed the soil" guy by nature, but I do also see that we have the elite QB in hand and the trickiest part of the rebuild is taken care of if we play this right. That means less of a window for the rebuild when factoring in Rivers' career trajectory, and future expectation. That said, I also feel more tear down is needed once this season has completed. Patching holes with veterans is not the way to go just yet. Surround Rivers with as much young talent as possible, and wind him up and let him carry it next year.

That means find a solution not named Fluker at LT and rip that D apart, starting with the scheme and staff. Pagano has shit at NT, so why continue to run a 3-4?
            Playing Weddle, Luiget, and Reyes out of position only shows me desperation, because it hurts the development of the front 7 and this is a limited window to develop assets here.

Time to burn this craps defensively
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
              Carroll must have set some kind of a record for player movement when he took over. His roster bore almost no resemblance at the end of that first year to when he started tearing things down. I believe this is the best way to start a rebuild if you don't see talent there.

Our situation is a bit different in that we had talent at some spots and uncertainty at many others because the previous regime failed to develop it's young players. This is a time for patience as we needed this year to evaluate just how much of a tear down is needed at the end of the season.

I am a "burn down a poor crop to feed the soil" guy by nature, but I do also see that we have the elite QB in hand and the trickiest part of the rebuild is taken care of if we play this right. That means less of a window for the rebuild when factoring in Rivers' career trajectory, and future expectation. That said, I also feel more tear down is needed once this season has completed. Patching holes with veterans is not the way to go just yet. Surround Rivers with as much young talent as possible, and wind him up and let him carry it next year.

That means find a solution not named Fluker at LT and rip that D apart, starting with the scheme and staff. Pagano has shit at NT, so why continue to run a 3-4?
              Playing Weddle, Luiget, and Reyes out of position only shows me desperation, because it hurts the development of the front 7 and this is a limited window to develop assets here.

Yea its entirely possible we are even closer than they were simply because of Rivers. But at the end of the day we need to build the d like they did and it wont happen ovenight. They have hit on most of their defensive picks.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Well said. The clear difference is that we have Rivers and Carroll had nothing at QB. You can't simply do the "Carroll thing" when you have a franchise QB. You have to take advantage of that and try to rebuild on the fly. I think they tried to work in some vets like Cox in hopes that maybe they could catch lightning in a bottle and maybe make a playoff run. But the injuries, particularly to Ingram, effectively squashed that. I do agree that we need to try to pump up the young talent level but I think you owe it to Rivers to make some key under-the-radar vet acquisitions. What we did on the OL and Woodhead type deals that can help accelerate the process.

Comment

• Wheels
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • San Diego
                  • Send PM

I agree with the desire to switch the schem to a 4-3. I think we could transition to 4-3 pretty easily. Put Ingram on one end, Reyes and Liuget at DT, TBD player at the other DE. Butler at WOLB, Teo at MLB, and JJ at SOLB. If a quality LT isn't there at our 1st round pick, grab the best 4-3 DE available.

Comment

• zoom
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Carroll and Schneider made 284 transactions in year 1.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                      I agree with the desire to switch the schem to a 4-3. I think we could transition to 4-3 pretty easily. Put Ingram on one end, Reyes and Liuget at DT, TBD player at the other DE. Butler at WOLB, Teo at MLB, and JJ at SOLB. If a quality LT isn't there at our 1st round pick, grab the best 4-3 DE available.
                      I'm not enough of an expert to know the strategic implications in today's NFL, but right now we are suffering in a scheme where we simply do't have the personnel right now. But I agree that with the guys we have right now, it might be decent to transition to that. But I think the analysis has to revolve around not only who we have but the types of players currently entering the league and their relative scarcity.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by zoom View Post
                        Carroll and Schneider made 284 transactions in year 1.
                        Well, we're already one up on Carroll. We don't have to give up a draft pick to get CBJ.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                          I'm not enough of an expert to know the strategic implications in today's NFL, but right now we are suffering in a scheme where we simply do't have the personnel right now. But I agree that with the guys we have right now, it might be decent to transition to that. But I think the analysis has to revolve around not only who we have but the types of players currently entering the league and their relative scarcity.
                          I think the gap coverage scheme is more important than the number of guys with their hand on the round. You can 1 gap out of a 34. But we play mainly 2 gap, especially in the splits, and the only guys we have suited to 2 gap are Liuget and Lissemore.

Mainly you just need a bunch of good, aggressive players and confusion on the offense. The rest follows from there.

Comment

Working...
                          X