• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MassGeneralBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Telesco and Spanos should look at what Seahawks have done and follow blueprint

I always argued since the end of 2009 season that we shouldve tried to lure Pete Carroll to San Diego but Spanos believed in division of power which is absolute bs if youre able to get the right coach. Now theres things about Seattles team that I dont care for regarding some of the character flawed people they bring there, but youve got to give Carrol and their GM props in how they develop young players especially on the defensive side of the ball. Gruden was mentioning that last night besides Earl Thomas the majority of the secondary are late round picks but their coaching staff is able to coach em up to elite level play, as opposed to our defensive staff which week in week out is not able to coach these scrubs to look half competent out there, constantly making bone head mistakes or getting completely trampled by the opposing offense.

Spanos needs to look at Seattles stadium and the effect their fans have in creating that atmosphere and hire that architect and build the exact same thing in SD. Telesco needs to draft players with more speed and toughness especially on the defensive side of the ball, cause I give credit ti Wisenhunt and Mccoy for getting more out of the offense than the talent they have to work with, but Paganos defensive staff has only gotten 1 week of decent defensive play (against the Colts), and if this continues he needs to be shown the door.

Interesting read from Bolts from the Blue on our defensive struggles

Obviously, there is plenty wrong with the 2013 Chargers, but Kyle Posey breaks down the biggest problems facing the team moving forward.
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by MassGeneralBolt View Post
    I always argued since the end of 2009 season that we shouldve tried to lure Pete Carroll to San Diego but Spanos believed in division of power which is absolute bs if youre able to get the right coach. Now theres things about Seattles team that I dont care for regarding some of the character flawed people they bring there, but youve got to give Carrol and their GM props in how they develop young players especially on the defensive side of the ball. Gruden was mentioning that last night besides Earl Thomas the majority of the secondary are late round picks but their coaching staff is able to coach em up to elite level play, as opposed to our defensive staff which week in week out is not able to coach these scrubs to look half competent out there, constantly making bone head mistakes or getting completely trampled by the opposing offense.

Spanos needs to look at Seattles stadium and the effect their fans have in creating that atmosphere and hire that architect and build the exact same thing in SD. Telesco needs to draft players with more speed and toughness especially on the defensive side of the ball, cause I give credit ti Wisenhunt and Mccoy for getting more out of the offense than the talent they have to work with, but Paganos defensive staff has only gotten 1 week of decent defensive play (against the Colts), and if this continues he needs to be shown the door.

Interesting read from Bolts from the Blue on our defensive struggles

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2013...efense-offense
    And while he's at it, he needs to bring the people down here as well; and the weather. No way - even with a brand spanking new stadium - that San Diego ever becomes another Seattle. Totally different cities; totally different metro 'personalities'.
    Last edited by QSmokey; 12-03-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

A stadium that can generate a 2.0 on the ricter scale on a hotbed of eathquake fualts? Nothing wrong with that! Lets let the USGA frack at the stadium site too...
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

I've been coming around on a coaching change on defense. The complete lack of development of Liuget and Reyes this year has been disturbing. To begin with not sure why he moved them out of their positions. Throw in the poor coverage schemes and shit blitz design and yea. Time to move on.

I think it's time to move on from the 3-4. We are in a perfect position to switch defenses.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Can we have their entire coaching staff other than HC?
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

"We need to model ourselves after the Ravens, Giants, Steelers, Packers."

--Lots of posters over the last few years.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

We are much closer to having a dominant offense than a defense IMO. There's a ton of holes on the team, but I would rather solidify the offense to remain competitive. We clearly need a 2nd WR. Patch up the O line.

I think we went a bit too far on defense going with youth. I would like TT to do what he did on offense this season. Bring in a few very affordable FA vets to plug in the holes on the D and hopefully bring some stability to the group. No big spashly FA signings, just 1-2 year deals that can plug the massive amount of holes we have and HOPEFULLY improve the play of Liuget/Reyes/Weddle.

As far as Butler is concerned on D - Not worth the dollars that he's likely asking for. I like the guy, but he's been a huge bust this year. He's clearly not the game changing ILB you invest a significant portion of your cap in. I would be hesitant to give him anything more than 4 mill a year. There's just too many capable vets on the market every year that can provide equal or better production for much less and with no commitment required.
              Last edited by Beerman; 12-03-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

And this is why we need another WR

BalabbZCEAEOPL-.jpg

Rook is earning respect clearly. Bengals changed it up late in the game and finally decided to take away the inside.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

It took a long time to get a "learn a thing or two" post. MGBs slacking

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

absolute bs if youre able to get the right coach
                    Who's the right coach? Or how do you identify/define the "right" coach?

In the salary cap era, Jimmy Johnson, Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren, Andy Reid, Mike Ditka and Bill Parcells all had what one would consider almost impeccable credentials to play that role and all basically floundered in it. Not a Super Bowl championship amongst them. 1 or 2 Big Game appearances (Holmgren and can't remember the Philly power structure when Reid got them to the SB).

Mike Sherman, Dave Wannstedt, Butch Davis and Nick Saban all probably had pretty similar bonafides as Carroll when they were given that role and all were unmitigated disasters.

I think the track record pretty much justifies the decision-making of the ownership. The checks-balances approach limits risk and supports long-term franchise continuity. While you need to make two good hires and they have to mesh well together, you aren't throwing placing a big bet on one guy. Who was the check on Ditka when he traded his whole draft for Ricky Williams?

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                      And while he's at it, he needs to bring the people down here as well; and the weather. No way - even with a brand spanking new stadium - that San Diego ever becomes another Seattle. Totally different cities; totally different metro 'personalities'.
                      Agree.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                        I think we went a bit too far on defense going with youth.
                        Not saying this as a "gotcha," but I'm surprised to see you say that as it's kind of an about face for you. I recall you saying many times that you felt like dumping all the deadwood on D would be essentially addition by subtraction. I'm not sure I felt like we would be better by getting rid of all those guys, but I also didn't think we'd be this horrible, although in fairness I didn't know we'd be without JJ and Ingram all year. I do think it was the right move for reasons that Panama and I have mentioned perviously.

A lot of people on here were saying they felt like Thomas, Wright, Gilchrist and even Stuckey had the potential to be starting players for us. I was never really sold on any of them, largely because we hadn't seen enough. Now I think we have. None of these guys should be starting in the NFL. I think all can play roles, but not major ones. So we've lived and learned. We've also learned that Butler isn't worth the deal that many (including the "almost never wrong" Den) wanted to give him before the season. I think it's also safe to say that Liuget and Reyes aren't nascent stars. They can be quality players, and in the case of Liuget, perhaps even a Pro Bowler if surrounded by a better cast and employed the right way. So we have a long way to go on D. And we've learned that. Going into the season, I'd say 90% of the folks on this board (myself included), thought the D was the strength of this team. Some call it a lost season. I don't. I think we're avoiding what Washington is going through right now. We're learning what we have at a time when there aren't any expectations. Positive outcomes aren't the only good outcomes. Hypothesis testing is also valuable. The good news is we now know Philip Rivers shouldn't be traded for a pile of magic beans and that our offense has a lot of potential. We furthermore know that we need to get a pass rush in here big time and that a full makeover on D. IMO Pagano's had his chances. If he's coaching and scheming this crew up beyond what they could do on their own, the talent level on D is even worse than we think.

Comment

Working...
                        X