Joey Bosa is Already the Best D Player the Chargers Have Ever Had.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RollingThunder
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Joey Bosa is Already the Best D Player the Chargers Have Ever Had.

Yes, I watched Leslie O'neal and Junior Seau and both were amazing but Joey Bosa is the most talented defender we have ever had. The guy is an absolute beast and it is only his second year.

I would go as far as to say he's already the best defender in the NFL, maybe not stats wise but talent wise, he just has "it" and he is only going to get better. The dude is already performing at an amazing level and seems to turn it up another notch when it matters most.

Look at how many game changing sacks or pressures has he had already. He's faced off against the league sack leaders in head to head games and yet did you ever feel he wasn't the best defender on the field?

He has a bright future ahead and the opportunity to be one of the best defenders the NFL has ever seen, Chargers or not. The sky is the limit.
    Last edited by RollingThunder; 12-04-2017, 05:11 AM.
  • RollingThunder
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

http://www.chargers.com/news/2017/12...ro-bowl-voting

Joey Bosa Leading DEs in Pro Bowl Voting

Joey Bosa has put up a Pro Bowl-worthy performance all season long, and it looks like his play is paying off.
    As we enter December, Bosa leads all defensive ends and ranks 19thhere to keep voting for him as well as his Chargers teammates, as Pro Bowl voting ends Dec. 14.

Last edited by RollingThunder; 12-04-2017, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Better than Shawne Merriman?

I was 16 when he was a rookie and wasn't watching as closely as I do now, but as someone that just watched the game to enjoy it, Merriman made a really dominant start to his career. He made the all pro as a rookie and in his second year. Pretty similar in stats as well to Bosa.

For me, Bosa has been one of our best draft picks in our history and fingers crossed he continues like this and has a great career with us.

Comment

• RollingThunder
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Better than Shawne Merriman?

I was 16 when he was a rookie and wasn't watching as closely as I do now, but as someone that just watched the game to enjoy it, Merriman made a really dominant start to his career. He made the all pro as a rookie and in his second year. Pretty similar in stats as well to Bosa.

For me, Bosa has been one of our best draft picks in our history and fingers crossed he continues like this and has a great career with us.

"He set the record earlier in the season for the most sacks by a player through his first 20 games in NFL history (19)"

Yes better than Merriman and hopefully without the PEDs.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

The stats don't tell the whole story.

If nothing else, look at the sack stats and see how many other edge rushers have a teammate up at the top of the list. Only the Jags have Campbell (who splits time inside and outside) and Ngakoe. Everyone else has just one. Other years is often the same way. The team pass rush needs at least 2 players, but the higher sack totals come from 1 player getting all the sacks. Many of them are often garbage, meaningless without the impact.

It doesn't appear on the stats list, but Ingram and Bosa could both have had more sacks the last 2 weeks if the goal was just getting sacks. Both have been limited to their rush lanes the last two weeks because of Prescott and Kizer's mobility. Not stunting, very little blitzing. We could have kept stunting them like we did earlier in the season, but both those guys would have made us pay by breaking long runs, and so we asked them to stay in their rush lanes and it worked. Both got QB got some yards on the ground, but mostly we neutralized them. And Bosa and Ingram still forced some negative plays.

He makes a ton of plays in critical situations. Can you put a price on that? Like yesterday, Kiser did help him by finally holding the ball. Bosa overran the play and got him on pure second effort on pretty much the only pass all day that Kizer held on to up to that point. It always seems like he is making a play when we need one. If he isn't, it is because he is drawing so much attention that it frees up someone else and they are making the plays.

Bosa makes everyone around him better. Last year it was mostly the rest of the front 7, but the extra attention that Bosa and Ingram are drawing in pass protection is a big part of why the secondary is playing so well. He gives the DB confidence that they don't have to cover too long, so they are super aggressive. They also run a lot of traps in the secondary, which is part of where those picks keep coming from.

Some of that also comes from his great effort. Bosa never gives up on plays. Other players on the D have really ramped up their effort. I don't know how much of that is deliberate, but whether they are consciously doing it, or just following his example, we are a better defense because of his example, And it all basically started the 1st game he stepped on the field.

Bosa doesn't have very many negative plays. The last couple of weeks he has had a couple of personal fouls, but the one against Kizer was pretty borderline, IMHO. But while he has a few lapses in run D, he really just makes his plays and plays his assignments. A lot of super productive players will freelance a good bit, and that usually leads to negative plays, and it gets tolerated to a certain degree. Just not Bosa. Seau used to do a fair amount of that. Under Arnsparger, it was allowed and the other 10 players were forced to be super disciplined to compensate. But Bosa is plug and play, just line him up and he is an impact guy without having the rest of the scheme disrupted.

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Cool the jets. I get it he is great but better than Junior in 2 years? Easy there.

Comment

• whookimane
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

I have been watching games for about 13 years and he is probably the best defensive player I can think of over that span. He saved the game yesterday with that sack fumble. Also, forget the sacks, that bills game with all of the ints, Bosa was in his face hitting him on like 4 of the 5 ints he threw. He makes an unreal impact on the defense and its crazy to think hes just 22 years old

Comment

• vinabolt
                Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                • Feb 2015
                • Send PM

He's up there with Seau.

Better than Harrison, Leslie O'Neal, Norman Hand, Jamal Williams, Raylee Johnson, Shaun Phillips, Shawn Merriman or anybody else in their prime with us.

Merriman was dominant and clutch. He started fast and fading fast, hopefully this won't be the case with Bosa.

Like Steve mentioned, Bosa and Ingram special because they're also bust their tails playing the run, doing their job. Bosa have always like that in college and now in the pro, playing his assignment, doing his job.

I kinda worry that he'll leave to chase money once his rookie contract is up, refuse to sign extension. The contract dispute he had with the Spanos was more ugly than the Seau, LT, Rivers cases, there were more ugly words to the media, the his family involved. And his mom doesn't sound like an easy person to communicate with.
                Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• CTrout
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

2 very different positions but Seau imo is still in a class of his own. I know nobody can do it alone but damn there sure were games when it appeared Jr. was destroying everything....run, pass, inside, outside....didn't matter, he was in on EVERY play.
                  Either way Bosa is quickly becoming or already is one of the best playing right now.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Yeah i was going to say his best attribute is how he makes everyone else around him better. Ingram for starters. But the secondary is playing out of their minds and a lot of it has to do with the pass rush lead by Bosa. I was watching his brother Nick on Saturday and hes a situational player due to injury. Larry Johnson as ive mentioned in the past is probably the best DL coach in the country. Nick has similar hands but his run defending capabilities are not close to Joey's. Merriman was a great LB but he wasn't as versatile as Bosa. Bosa could probably line up over every gap on the Dline. I wouldn't put it past him to be able to 2 gap over the center. He can play OLB as well. I think Merriman was for the most part pure athleticism and Bosa is excels more due to high football intellect and a refined skillset.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

Probably not the right thread to put it in.

But that last INT to Phillips was because of Melvin Ingram.

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Panamamike commented
                          Editing a comment
                          A couple have been outright BS. Just sayin....
                      Working...
                      X