• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rustybolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2017
    • Send PM

Philip Rivers and Yeah Ownership change

The Chargers will probably use their first pick on a QB because they are going to be picking in the top 5 again. UCLA's Josh Rosen is probably their targeted player. But more than that it's very obvious Rivers is becoming fed up with the direction of the team and the futility of playing 16 games away each year.He was so upset he was at a loss for words on Sunday. I've never seen him like that. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he retires at the end of the season. He doesn't need the money and he almost retired before this last contract. Correctly so his family is his world and he told me personally once in a chance encounter that he would retire when football wasn't fun anymore. Looking and listening to him on Sunday it was clear to me that might be the case this season. The team and the franchise are in a death spiral and he knows it.

It's time for two SAN DIEGO CHARGER GREATS, himself and Gates to leave together. Then they both can go into the HOF together. IMO the only thing that would prevent Rivers from walking away next year is if the NFL forces Dean out.

Speaking of which I would like to say that there has been a lot of yes the NFL wants the Chargers back in SD and No there hasn't been any talk about it. It may sound contradictory but in reality it's exactly right on both counts. IMO the real issue facing the NFL are the optics of the Chargers lack of viability in LA, and the very real concern about their ability to be financially solvent in a city that doesn't want them and a total lack of fanbase. So while there may be no talk of forcing a move back to SD, no one has said there is no talk about forcing an ownership change, That is the actual issue at hand. Then and only then if that should occur would the question of whether the new ownership would move the franchise back. IMO the NFL correctly sees this as two separate issues, while fans see it as one contiguous issue.

From what I've heard that is exactly the reason Dean bolted to LA on impulse. I believe that Manchester's and the City's proposal were on the table and Dean was seeing that the owners were probably leaning towards forcing Dean's hand into negotiating a deal with Manchester in which the Spanos family might retain an ownership interest but lose control of the team. So he jumps to LA over night with the idea that if they are going to force him into that he's going to up the value of the franchise by relocating it to LA. It's about a $600M difference in price to Doug and his buddies now. Also he probably would insist on a complete buyout. That would open the door for Eli Broad who has the deep pockets to make it happen.

This is why IMO Spanos really isn't concerned how his team does and a total collapse could work in his favor in regards to making the team "available". IMO the Charger off season could be more interesting than their game season.
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Yup, as long as it remains relatively profitable.

I would love to see Rivers and Gates walk away together after this year. Or find a way to get them on a legit contender.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Dean didn't bolt on impulse. This has been a pretty deliberate path. You can argue that he did or didn't make a real effort to stay (let's not start that up again), but it wasn't just an impulse. We started down that route back in the late 1990's, so it's not like anything but the reality of it was sudden in any way.

The NFL and the other owners just don't get into each other business in terms of the mechanics of deals. They never will. Once it starts with one team, it opens the door to everyone else. The idea that the owners will force another owner out is pure fantasy. If there was a financial or legal reason, sure. But being a shitty owner is not going to cut it. Maybe a court could do it, but the other owners won't.

I do think the Spanos family does want a winner. The fact that they don't seem to have any idea of how to make that happen is a separate issue. Every year the moves look good on paper, only to fall apart once the season starts. The owners just don't have enough control of the day to day operations to pull something like that off (think "Major League" here).

The other thing to remember, and while I am not doubting the sentiment that Rivers will retire when it isn't fun anymore, but he is smarter than almost every fan. He is not going to make that decision based on 1 game in October. He can't quit midseason unless he gets hurt, so he is stuck for the rest of the season. Then he will do the same thing most established vets do, re-evaluate everything at the end of the year. If being discouraged is all it took, he would have quit last year.

Comment

• foreigner
          Tom Telesco is gone
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Rivers is waiting on Mr Spanos to grow some balls. Sit down Philip.. it may take a while.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

tend to agree with this, but what if they made him an offer he couldn't refuse? There is supposedly a league imposed multi-year prohibition on selling the team for some specified number of years after a relocation. Supposed to keep the shitty owners from moving then immediately selling out after a huge run up of value in the club. What if the owners gave Dean a window of opportunity where they waive the prohibition and allow him to negotiate his best deal for maybe 1 year? Of course the league would vet the new prospective owner to make sure they had deep enough pockets to avoid a repeat of another pauper ownership. They could even allow the relocation debt to pass to the new owner. The NFL seems to make and break it's own rules at will, so it's not impossible they could "persuade" Spanos a change is for the best for everybody.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

I think the perceived team valuation in LA, and misconceptions of the fan base played a big part, but I think the fear of competition in the LA market can't be discarded.

They were trying to move with the Raiders and were willing to go to the other conference to do it and split the market to keep out Kroenke. Once that became impossible with the Lambs cementing themselves in LA anyway, the only other options for the market were to be Kroenke's bitch, or let the 'duhs move in and totally cede the LA market.

Prior to the Rams moving back, the Chargers were generally regarded as the home team in the LA media market by CBS, but were generally not by FOX (if games carried was any indication. I'm basing this opinion on the numerous occasions when FOX would have carried a Chargers vs. NFC opponent game, but instead would give LA the game of the week).
              The Raiders still had fans of course, and they would carry the preseason games usually on KCAL or KTLA, but otherwise most Raiders games were not shown in LA, and they sucked all of those post-Gannon years anyway.

But once the Rams moved back, it all changed. I'm sure the Spanii saw their media markets drying up and feared what would happen if Davis moved back down here as well and they had to cling to whatever crumbs they could from a 3-way split on anything above Escondido.
              But now that they've been pawned off on KCOP on a game day, I'm not sure what they must be thinking.

And, I don't think Rivers will quit on the Chargers, but I do think he'll retire rather than allow a trade.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I posted this down in the legacy forum, but for the Los Angeles market this Sunday, the Chargers will be on KCAL 9 in the 10am slot, and the Rams will be on KCBS 2 in the 1pm slot. Normally the Rams game would be on KTTV 11, but they wanted to show the Packers/Cowboys game instead.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                  I posted this down in the legacy forum, but for the Los Angeles market this Sunday, the Chargers will be on KCAL 9 in the 10am slot, and the Rams will be on KCBS 2 in the 1pm slot. Normally the Rams game would be on KTTV 11, but they wanted to show the Packers/Cowboys game instead.
                  Wow, well, here's my prediction for where the game vs the Browns ends up:
                  iMd2HFh.jpg

Comment

• OhioBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Bad all the way around the LA Chargers are in a descending mode that will be dam near impossible to recover from.

1. LA has never been a good market for NFL teams period, Rams to St. Louis, Original LA Chargers 60's to San Diego, LA Raiders back to Oakland.

2. Fan based currently not filling the Stadium that only holds 30,000 most fans are the visiting teams

3. Will not be an attractive FA signing place

4. How do you market a losing team that can't fill a 30,000 capacity stadium

5. Rivers probably will not want to be traded especially if it isn't franchise potential Super Bowl contender and those teams already have their QB. Only team I see that would fit the bill is Minnesota Vikings and that is with a bunch of ifs. Teddy Bridgewater unable to come back and play at high level and they move on from Sam Bradford who is injury prone.

6. Same ownership, same philosophy equals same results till that changes nothing changes

Comment

• Boltster
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Baltimore, MD
                      • Send PM

Post started by a guy who says he knows someone in the organization that knew we were trading up for Anthony Barr a few years ago. Good old Beachbolt from Scout. Has all the answers and hears all the talking within the organization. Yeah right!!

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                        Gwynning_Spirit commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Are you saying beachbolt has gotten rusty?
                    • Wada
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2017
                      • costa mesa, ca
                      • Send PM

Rodney Peete downs the Chargers every chance he gets on his radio show. Big time pimping for Rams and how they've "turned it around."

Pfft....Rams haven't done shit yet. Couple good games for the offense and they're on their way? No way. Their secondary and LB's suck more often than not. Wade Phillips can scheme & hide mismatches pretty well. He's the best signing they made.

Four games into season and this is just the start of a three year slog. Lot can, and will, happen by the time Stan's World opens.

Last year Les Sneed was on the way out by about 12 games in. He (or more likely McVay) made some smart moves in offseason and now he's a friggin genius?

If Andy Whitworth starts playing like his age (turns 36 in Dec) and Sullivan goes down then that whole OL is finished and with them the offense. Rams don't look especially deep IMHO and they've been lucky so far.

Chargers losing close games. Luck swings around and they head in diff direction. Happens. Stay tuned.
                      Last edited by Wada; 10-05-2017, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X