• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

EVERY NFL team received $244 million in shared revenue in 2016. That figure comes from the that was released this month. Most of the shared revenue comes from television contracts, while the rest comes from the sale of officially licensed merchandise.

Not included in that figure are local revenues generated by ticket sales, concessions, parking fees, and sponsorships, among other things. League-wide, that figure is lower than the shared revenue, an average of about $187.5 million per team but that figure can vary wildly from larger markets to smaller ones.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

The expected counter-column from Vincent Bonsignore:

The Chargers will take their Fight for L.A. to the field on Saturday, their opponent the very roommates they’ll eventually share a stadium with. But then, this whole Fight for L.A. thing was never …
      Considering they are one year into a minimum 33-year stay in Los Angeles, time is clearly on their side.

Comment

• SDFan
        SDFan commented
        Editing a comment
        What "minimum 33 year stay" is he talking about? Certainly not to stay at Stubhub. Is there an iron-clad 30 year lease to play in Kroenke world that has been published and independently verified? If so, I must have missed that. I don't recall NFL putting any minimum stay into the approval to move to LA either? From what we know of how the NFL and Kroenke operates, they could certainly create any justification for the Chargers going back to SD pretty much any time it made sense to enough owners.

• Bolt-O
        Bolt-O commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I never heard of the 33 year thing either, but Vinnie has a direct line to the ownership, it appears.

• KNSD
        KNSD commented
        Editing a comment
        3 years in Stubhub + 30 year of $1/yr rent in Inglewood.
    • SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by rustybolt View Post
      The NFL does have a form of revenue sharing to promote parity. Or large market teams would dominate the league and the smaller market teams won't be able to compete. They don't share on everything but it's a percentage kicked back to the NFL to run their operations and begin to level the playing field. It's no different than the relocation fee the league demands. It's paid to the league then apportioned to the individual franchises. No different than the league getting a percentage of the merchandising revenue as well. Look at these teams as business franchises with each owner owning a portion of the overall business the NFL. Franchises kickback a portion of their revenue to the mother company and so do the NFL franchises. Have you noticed that is exactly what they are called. Better believe that John Elway pays a franchise fee to gool old Papa for his pizza joints. That is one of the reasons they require anti-trust exemption because in reality it's a business cartel. You better believe all members of a business cartel pay a fee to belong to that cartel, the NFL is no different.
      Rusty, it sounds like you are confusing how MLB operates with the NFL RE; revenue sharing and higher grossing clubs paying a penalty (sharing) back to poorer clubs. Please provide some links to educate me if I'm mistaken. Same with all 32 clubs kicking back a portion to the NFL which is a corporation in its own right, even though the 32 teams are roughly defined as "franchises". Check their published by-laws for more. I'm not buying the idea all clubs kick back any$ annually to Corporate NFL for op ex.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

I think Rusty is confused often

Comment

• buttkissdick
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2017
          • Send PM

I bet the Black Out deal was making Teams lose Money....Good thing that was lifted. The last 2-3 season's had atleast 2-3 Blacked out Charger Games right???
          Dean was getting free rent from the Practice facility & some free Qualcomm Rent right??

I'm not sure where I'm headed with this, But the Spani have been eating "Bobby Bonilla" type contracts from the Past, Blacked out Games, Low attendance, Losing Seasons, Merch was prolly not selling as Good, ETC

SO it seems like this has SNowballed for them.....I wouldn't be surprised is this isn't "Fake News"

SOunds Plausible to Me

Comment

• buttkissdick
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2017
            • Send PM

Jared Gaither & Robert Meachem's Flopping Careers & YUGE (in my Trump Voice) Contracts, Single handedly forced the Chargers to move 2 L.A

Waaait..................WHat?!?!?!

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

NFL owners like to fantasize that the blackout rules keep stadiums full, but any real examination shows that is simply not true. MLB attendance went up after they got rid of their blackout rule. Attendance for NFL games tends to mimic the teams record, which is much the same as any other sport. Win and people will come and watch.

The NFL is in love with the idea of the big TV market, but remember that 2 NFL teams in fairly recent memory have left LA because small markets were actually more profitable. That is probably not the case in the current situation, once the new stadium is built, but I don't think it is as one sided as it is often portraited.

Ultimately it was the stadium issue in SD that forced the move.

Comment

• Concudan
                Concudan commented
                Editing a comment
                Spot on.
            Working...
            X