• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
    When a QB savvy coach like Pep Hamilton says he is playing out of his mind athletically in training i think it makes sense to kick the tires. He really needed to spend time with a QB coach and in get into a training program. Even if we did sign him i would expect it to be another camp arm. If he beats out Clemens so be it. Kaep had 16 TD's in 12 games last year. Despite only having 2 INTs thats not exactly killing it. I think RG3 is a very solid running QB he just cant stay healthy. If you devise a system for his skillset he can have some value. I just think our offense is far from being something he would ever be able to grasp.

However if Rivers goes down....Clemens will kill us in the passing game. Essentially killing Gordon. If you at least have a mobile QB you can do some things. Ramp up the run game and let our deadly receiving corp make it easier on him. Hes never really been surrounded by a cast like we have.

Clemens knows the plays. Thats about it. We are done if Rivers goes down. Probably dosnt even matter between Clemens and RG3 from a skill standpoint. Ive always felt that if RG3 could stay healthy he can do some good things. But in Cleveland he had to be the guy. Let him run an offense similar to what Dak does.

Kaep has a rep for being difficult to coach. He likes to improvise and do his own thing. Is he coachable? I think his sitting for the anthem thing was more a symptom of that sort of thing. Im not knocking his stance i just think when you here he has a selfish side regarding the way he plays the game he may also do whatever he wants off it without regard to how it impacts his teammates and team in general.
    Couple of points in rebuttal. BIG IF on RGIII staying healthy....he hasn't done it yet. Also, killing it in training and on the field are totally different as u know.

Secondly re Kaep " not exactly killing it" , I agree, but given the dog crap of talent in skill positions and on the online and a complete embarrassment of a D, I am not sure that 12 GS 2500 yds passing 16 TD, 4 INT 500 yds rushing and another 2 TDs with a QBR of 90 can in anyway be looked at as poor production. That team sucked, its coaching sucked, its roster sucked. The coachability point I also question given that his biggest backer has always been Harbaugh and he is anything but easy to please. He raves about his work ethic and loves the kid. By all accounts I have read he is a great Team mate and works his ass off. I would be interested where you got the other info. I hate his interviews etc, but he really hasn't played badly especially when he had some talent on the roster. He also has experience winning in the NFL including the playoffs. To me he is a large step above RGIII, but either way we are in a heap of trouble if Rivers were to go down.

Comment

• Pointyearedog
      Humble Chargers Fan
      • May 2017
      • Golden Hill
      • Medical Devices Operations
      • Send PM

Yeah, but can he be an option in a "wildcat" scheme, or be a second running back that can throw?
      "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." --Frank Zappa

Comment

• Big Dog
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Secondly re Kaep " not exactly killing it" , I agree, but given the dog crap of talent in skill positions and on the online and a complete embarrassment of a D, I am not sure that 12 GS 2500 yds passing 16 TD, 4 INT 500 yds rushing and another 2 TDs with a QBR of 90 can in anyway be looked at as poor production. That team sucked, its coaching sucked, its roster sucked. The coachability point I also question given that his biggest backer has always been Harbaugh and he is anything but easy to please. He raves about his work ethic and loves the kid. By all accounts I have read he is a great Team mate and works his ass off. I would be interested where you got the other info. I hate his interviews etc, but he really hasn't played badly especially when he had some talent on the roster. He also has experience winning in the NFL including the playoffs. To me he is a large step above RGIII, but either way we are in a heap of trouble if Rivers were to go down.
        Those things can all be true; that kaep was a hard worker under Harbaugh, slacked off with next coach and tried a little harder last year.

Being in the Bay Area the rumor going around was the coaching staff put a timer on Kaep's iPad and gave him some game tape to review, he said he studied but he didn't open it. Meanwhile his backup was given the same tape and he put in 18 hours. That was it and coaching staff was done with him.

Then Kelly came in and gave him another chance and did decent on a crappy team.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Couple of points in rebuttal. BIG IF on RGIII staying healthy....he hasn't done it yet. Also, killing it in training and on the field are totally different as u know.

First of all im not saying RG3 blows the doors off of Kaep. And obviously RG3's health is always a major factor. Im not sold on either of them. When i see a player who has a brutal DVOA i tend to think he is playing off script. Part of that is obviously the team and coaching but more times than not hes extremely bad. He will make some plays but its usually when he tucks the ball and runs or hits his first WR. He dosnt read and progress through his options. He overthrows short passes or throws them so hard he misses completely. He is not efficient. And he has a reputation for doing whatever he wants to do on the field. Getting off script. And our offense is a timing and rhythm offense. His short game isnt a good fit with our underneath style pass attack. RG3 has been forced into becoming a pocket passer. He has struggled clearly but at least he is putting in the time. If and yes a big IF he stays healthy i think he could be a better passer in our system. And then you add in the running plays. Again not excited about either of them but i dont think Kaep is better. I just like RG3's ability to finess passes up high where our game is. We are a jump ball type pass game. Kaep just rips line drives with very little finesse.

But the main reason i cited is that ive heard he wants to get paid. RG3 may end up being a minimum guy. If Kaep takes that type of money then so be it. But i think based on what ive heard hes willing to not play if he dosnt get what he wants. And im not sure he should have that type of mentality.

He ranks last in off target percentage over the last 2 years. Last in completion percentage. He is terribly inaccurate in a system that would require him to make throws before WRs even make a break on the ball. I know many think hes a better runner than RG3....but i dont think so. If RG3 ended up being the more accurate passer of the 2 he could most likely achieve what Kaep does in the run game. Rg3 can run. He just cant stay healthy. Id rather give RG3 minimum than 3-4 million for Kaep.

But neither most likely save us if we lose Rivers. And neither does Clemens.

We should have stuck with my my plan from last year that would have netted us Dak in the 3rd. As i said he was the most NFL ready QB in the draft last year. lol Also Lael Collins would have been drafted if i had my wish. No way i would have let that guy hit UDFA. He would be starting at RT and Dak would be waiting in the wings. Just walking down memory lane. ;(

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

First of all im not saying RG3 blows the doors off of Kaep. And obviously RG3's health is always a major factor. Im not sold on either of them. When i see a player who has a brutal DVOA i tend to think he is playing off script. Part of that is obviously the team and coaching but more times than not hes extremely bad. He will make some plays but its usually when he tucks the ball and runs or hits his first WR. He dosnt read and progress through his options. He overthrows short passes or throws them so hard he misses completely. He is not efficient. And he has a reputation for doing whatever he wants to do on the field. Getting off script. And our offense is a timing and rhythm offense. His short game isnt a good fit with our underneath style pass attack. RG3 has been forced into becoming a pocket passer. He has struggled clearly but at least he is putting in the time. If and yes a big IF he stays healthy i think he could be a better passer in our system. And then you add in the running plays. Again not excited about either of them but i dont think Kaep is better. I just like RG3's ability to finess passes up high where our game is. We are a jump ball type pass game. Kaep just rips line drives with very little finesse.

But the main reason i cited is that ive heard he wants to get paid. RG3 may end up being a minimum guy. If Kaep takes that type of money then so be it. But i think based on what ive heard hes willing to not play if he dosnt get what he wants. And im not sure he should have that type of mentality.

He ranks last in off target percentage over the last 2 years. Last in completion percentage. He is terribly inaccurate in a system that would require him to make throws before WRs even make a break on the ball. I know many think hes a better runner than RG3....but i dont think so. If RG3 ended up being the more accurate passer of the 2 he could most likely achieve what Kaep does in the run game. Rg3 can run. He just cant stay healthy. Id rather give RG3 minimum than 3-4 million for Kaep.

But neither most likely save us if we lose Rivers. And neither does Clemens.

We should have stuck with my my plan from last year that would have netted us Dak in the 3rd. As i said he was the most NFL ready QB in the draft last year. lol Also Lael Collins would have been drafted if i had my wish. No way i would have let that guy hit UDFA. He would be starting at RT and Dak would be waiting in the wings. Just walking down memory lane. ;(
            I hear ya. I am not sold on either guy at all, and have no interest either in a several mill backup. My bro is a HUGE niners fan so i saw most of the games Kaep has played in on gamepass. Agree that he has no touch, but neither is it a a strong pt for RG3. Neither has been accurate, but neither has been behind a decent line or had any talent to work with the past couple seasons. The entire situation and organization the last 2 years was toxic and their roster was garbage. I give him the nod due to the fact he has won games, including big games, but neither is a fit for our offense. But all else being equal and i had to choose 1, i would take Kaep, and it isn't real close for me.

i was not around for last years draft. I was screaming for a late rd pick on Collinsas well. None of the GMs ever played poker before? No friggin way was he holding out a year out of football.

I will worry about developing a young QB after we win the SB this year

Last edited by Panamamike; 07-26-2017, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

BTW.... FLEET, it is REALLY F'N awesome to talk Charger Football again. I missed it.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

BTW.... FLEET, it is REALLY F'N awesome to talk Charger Football again. I missed it.
                Me too bro. Ive been more quiet than usual because im always trying to tweak with shit here. Themes and ways to make it better. lol Are guest numbers are going up. The magic word for us is winning. You would be shocked at how many fans say they wont know if they are true fans until they show they can win. That is not a true fan to me. Ive always supported this team win or lose. We need to change that way of thinking here. Thats what i love about this community. We are truly fans of the players. Always have their backs. Its awesome.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                  Charger Fan till the end
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Carolina
                  • Send PM

Hard to believe we are so close to seeing some preseason games. Cant wait to see the rookies and vets mesh on the OL and to see Lynn in action.

id take RG3 over Kaep. We dont need a headache at qb like Kaep. RG at least has played well but doesnt have questionable baggage to have to work around with the press. His injuries are fluke and not in his head meaning if hes healthy he has potential to perform again. The Chargers are trying to attract fans and not repel them. No way they consider Kaep in my mind.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                    Hard to believe we are so close to seeing some preseason games. Cant wait to see the rookies and vets mesh on the OL and to see Lynn in action.

id take RG3 over Kaep. We dont need a headache at qb like Kaep. RG at least has played well but doesnt have questionable baggage to have to work around with the press. His injuries are fluke and not in his head meaning if hes healthy he has potential to perform again. The Chargers are trying to attract fans and not repel them. No way they consider Kaep in my mind.
                    Although i think the baggage is BS, it is what it is, and the narrative has been written. However, we were, I thought, discussing them purely on football skills.

For my money, I have 0 long-term interest in either guy, and very little short-term interest either. Give me an accurate intelligent pocket QB any day. Mobile QBs thus far tend to be erratic, struggle to read defences, prone to taking too many hits and thus more suceptible to injury.

I 100% agree with your excitement for things to get going for real. I also am most interested in our Oline; how they gel and work together. I firmly believe that even average Oline play and ST makes us a very dangerous team. Of course, I hope for more than merely average in these regards.
                    Last edited by Panamamike; 07-26-2017, 04:42 AM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

RG3 not signed. I'm not surprised.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Telesco may just be kicking the tires in case RG3 is needed due to an injury in the future. Just part of assembling contingency list. Or maybe they are mildly interested. Who knows?

re Kapernick vs RG3, one point you guys are missing. Both are flawed Qbs who had early success and tailed off. Both have been given chances by multiple coaching staffs. Both have lots of physical talent. But one could be signed for $2M or less and one still thinks he is a starter and wants starter money and wants to start (at least that is what I heard/read). So the money makes Kap an option the Chargers cannot consider.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Joy Division
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

RG3 and Kap both suck (for reasons already mentioned).
                          Let some preseason games play out and we can
                          pilfer a backup from another team.

Comment

Working...
                          X