• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Dog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

NFL's top defensive line

Ranking NFL defensive linemen by team: Have J.J. Watt's Texans been overtaken?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...nts/464850001/newly minted Melvin Ingram, who's converting from linebacker, could give J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney serious competition as the league's top end tandem. Ex-Seahawk Brandon Mebane's reunion with new DC Gus Bradley means he should be more comfortable in the middle. And if a lighter, healthier Corey Liuget rebounds in a scheme players typically love, this could be a special quartet.

2. Houston Texans: Clowney finally played like a No. 1 overall draft pick after settling in at defensive end. Hard to imagine a more destructive or talented D-line duo if Watt reverts to form after missing the first games of his career in 2016. NT D.J. Reader had a solid rookie season but must now fill Vince Wilfork's huge cleats full time. And depth is a drawback, especially if Watt's back flares after multiple surgeries, or if the injury bug returns for Clowney.

• Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

That would be very cool if it really happened that way. I have little to no confidence in Liuget right now but I'm hoping Bradley and this new scheme will make a difference with him. Man, that would be so awesome if we started resembling the Johnson/Jones/Kelcher/Dean days. I would like nothing better.
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

I am hoping that another season under Giff Smith, along with the return to his more natural position of 3-technique DT will give him the chance to really be much more productive. If not, I can see us cutting him next season. He gets paid way, way too much money to be an unproductive guy.

Comment

• WindsorUK
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Windsor, U.K.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Millionaire Pussy View Post
        That would be very cool if it really happened that way. I have little to no confidence in Liuget right now but I'm hoping Bradley and this new scheme will make a difference with him. Man, that would be so awesome if we started resembling the Johnson/Jones/Kelcher/Dean days. I would like nothing better.
        That was an AWESOME front 4. Shame our LB's weren't that great( Lowe, Horn, Goode?)

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Bolt-O commented
          Editing a comment
          True... The DBs (Williams, Buchanan, Fuller, Edwards) were good, but never great also. But Gene Kline was more interested in the bottom line, when it was still possible to keep players for longer. The ponies don't complain... and here we are.

Also, the Chargers had the original Fearsome Foursome...DE Ron Nery, DT Bill Hudson, DT Ernie Ladd, and DE Earl Faison.
      • richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Heard an interview with an NFL scout about building a team and he said he would concentrate on the QB first and the defensive line second. If our line stays healthy (ha!) and plays close to t heir potential, we will have a very good line.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Health. Probably aren't too many teams that could say all they need is some good health luck to field a dominant team. We seem to be one now, at least on O and D, ST is still baking.

Comment

• CTrout
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Some of the young guys like Square, Palepoi and Reid looked impressive at times last year aswell.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
              Some of the young guys like Square, Palepoi and Reid looked impressive at times last year aswell.
              Yes. I like Reid a lot. Hoping he's 100% now and stays that way. Palepoi surprised me. He might be a darkhorse break-out candidate. And Square might have a chip on his shoulder after being caught using roids. Or whatever it was.

It's good to have Liuget insurance in those guys.
              For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• WindsorUK
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Windsor, U.K.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
                Good call Trout!
                To get to the next level, you've got to have a bit of a luck to have quality players fall into your lap.
                Those 3 dudes are definitely solid performers along the front line. And you can add Philon to that group as well.
                Good health finds it way to Carson and this D should be rather formidable.

Comment

Working...
                X