• Show
Clear All
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
    I bolded the ones I felt were busts. Commented on the others.

2003 - Sammy Davis
    2004 - Eli Manning/Philip Rivers - Awesome
    2005 - Merriman/Castillo - Castillo was decent for a while
    2006 - Cromartie Still playing, but Meh
    2007 - Buster Davis
    2008 - Antoine Cason Meh
    2009 - Larry English
    2010 - Ryan Mathews TBD
    2011 - Corey Liuget Solid
    2012 - Melvin Ingram TBD
    Merriman isn't even close to the worst pick for me. Anyway just for fun, my AJ list:

AJ's Worst picks:

1) Trading up for Mathews (1st - 2010). It's bad enough to use a high pick on a running back but to also trade a 2nd round pick. Put all that pressure on him to follow in LT's footsteps and he turns out to be an average back at best. And I still think he did it as a big FU to LT.
    2) Trading a 2nd round pick to move up and draft Hester (3rd - 2008).
    3) Larry English (1st - 2009).

Honorable mention: Trading down to get Sammy Davis (1st - 2003), Buster Davis (1st - 2007), Antoine Cason (1st - 2008), Jonas Muton (2nd - 2011), Charlie Whitehurst (3rd - 2006), Kurt Smith (6th - 2006)

AJ's Best picks:

1) Eli/Rivers (1st - 2004)
    2) Trading up to get Weddle. (2nd - 2007)
    3) Hardwick (3rd - 2004)

Honorable Mention: Shaun Phillips (4th - 2004), Darren Sproles (4th - 2005), Vincent Jackson (2nd - 2005), Michael Turner (5th - 2004) - I almost didn't want to list those last three because they were allowed to walk for nothing.

Too many "worst" picks in his last five years and too many "best" picks in his first three years.

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
      AJ's Worst picks:

Honorable mention: Trading down to get Sammy Davis (1st - 2003), Buster Davis (1st - 2007), Antoine Cason (1st - 2008), Jonas Muton (2nd - 2011), Charlie Whitehurst (3rd - 2006), Kurt Smith (6th - 2006)
      Dude, CBJ was a great pick! He's been absolutely money for us! Sure, not as a player, but we didn't need him to be because we had Volek. And he is a competent backup. But the most important reason CBJ has been great is because he showed enough to get us that pick from Seattle.
      Adipose

Comment

• MakoShark
        Disgruntled
        • Jun 2013
        • North Alabama
        • Send PM

Oh boy...1 seemingly benign question and the thread is turned into a good AJ vs bad AJ discussion. Why do some people have such a problem with moving on?

Oh crap I did it again!
        sigpic

Comment

• thelightningwill
          Go Aztecs and Pads
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

If Merriman is a busted pick, then Rodney Harrison is a fucking horror show. I'm sure the Patriots fans puke every time they see that cheater on television.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
            If Merriman is a busted pick, then Rodney Harrison is a fucking horror show. I'm sure the Patriots fans puke every time they see that cheater on television.
            different rules there: Patriots condone cheating to win and Rodney led them to a Super Bowl without running his mouf to the press.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Who picked CVB?

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Too many "worst" picks in his last five years and too many "best" picks in his first three years.
                As I was reading through your list, that's exactly what I was thinking. Was just about to post it LOL

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
                  THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
                  Generous Donor
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                  Merriman was a terrible pick for us, the worst of AJ's career here and the most damaging to this team because we counted on him to come back from his injury in 2007 when we were still in the window with our core talent. The guy was nothing once he had to go off the roids (yeah, he managed a half a season after his suspension but he was still benefiting from his prior use of them during that time). He managed to fool us into thinking he was salvageable so we kept counting on him (and the drafting of English was a hedge against that bet). and Buffalo into thinking the same but the guy was nothing when he could rely on meds.
                  During the "half a season" he "managed", he started 15 games and the playoffs. He had 12.5 sacks (+1 in the playoffs) and 54 solo tackles (his highest tackle total of his career). He had 2 forced fumbles/recoveries. He was 2nd Team All-Pro and made the Pro Bowl. Yes, he was "assisted". But he was "taken out" by the Titans and never ever recovered. Ignoring his devastating knee injury at the hands of Fisher/Swartz only supports the chosen narrative that he was all roids and nothing else. Its truly unfortunate on all levels, I thought he was a future HOF'er.
                  NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• sandiego17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by KYBoltsFan View Post
                    During the "half a season" he "managed", he started 15 games and the playoffs. He had 12.5 sacks (+1 in the playoffs) and 54 solo tackles (his highest tackle total of his career). He had 2 forced fumbles/recoveries. He was 2nd Team All-Pro and made the Pro Bowl. Yes, he was "assisted". But he was "taken out" by the Titans and never ever recovered. Ignoring his devastating knee injury at the hands of Fisher/Swartz only supports the chosen narrative that he was all roids and nothing else. Its truly unfortunate on all levels, I thought he was a future HOF'er.
                    Excellent post. Worst pick of AJ's career that included Sammy Davis, Buster Davis, Larry English, Ryan Mathews, etc. Hyperbole doesn't do that claim justice.

Comment

• BoltBalls
                      Always keep eye contact!
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SD!
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                      Dude, CBJ was a great pick! He's been absolutely money for us! Sure, not as a player, but we didn't need him to be because we had Volek. And he is a competent backup. But the most important reason CBJ has been great is because he showed enough to get us that pick from Seattle.
                      Guess who we used that 2nd round pick from Seattle to trade up for... Mr. Mathews.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                        I hated that pick because there was no need to draft a QB that high at that time and it proved to be right because he never saw the field, Volek did. AJ did manage to get some compensation for him by trading him to Seattle but that was just breaking even but that compensation was wasted on trading up for Mathews. So basically we paid for trading up for Mathews four years in advance lol.

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2013
                          • Send PM

Merriman isn't even close to the worst pick for me. Anyway just for fun, my AJ list:

AJ's Worst picks:

1) Trading up for Mathews (1st - 2010). It's bad enough to use a high pick on a running back but to also trade a 2nd round pick. Put all that pressure on him to follow in LT's footsteps and he turns out to be an average back at best. And I still think he did it as a big FU to LT.
                          2) Trading a 2nd round pick to move up and draft Hester (3rd - 2008).
                          3) Larry English (1st - 2009).

AJ's Best picks:

1) Eli/Rivers (1st - 2004)
                          2) Trading up to get Weddle. (2nd - 2007)
                          3) Hardwick (3rd - 2004)

Honorable Mention: Shaun Phillips (4th - 2004), Darren Sproles (4th - 2005), Vincent Jackson (2nd - 2005), Michael Turner (5th - 2004) - I almost didn't want to list those last three because they were allowed to walk for nothing.

Don't forget that great Anthony Waters selection for the Drew Brees comp pick.

For all his obsession with getting comp picks, he sure squandered them.

Other than the Whitehurst trade, AJ failed to get decent compensation or leverage our talent we had to an absurd degree. Turner, Jackson, Sproles, Brees gone for absolutely nothing.
                          Last edited by Guy Lombardo; 11-14-2013, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X