Sorry Fellas. Mike McCoy is not the guy.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandiego17
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
    Ok, so the negatives that could happen on 3rd and 11 (if we are just talking about 3rd down, they could have been more agressive on 1st or 2nd as well) are not worth risking for the possible goods that could come out of tryin a pass there? Is that what you are saying?

As I stated earlier, what are these horrible negatives that could have happened and how likely were they?

Of course the chance to get a TD was diminished by no having a time out, but I was asking if they had a chance to score a TD even with no timeouts? Yeah, they still did.

I think they could have at least made a compromise between risk and reward, as I said try a screen pass. A dumpoff to woodhead (has one of those ever been incomplete?). They can do something relatively safe that at least has a better chance of breaking for a first down I believe.

They had 2 seconds to get the kickoff, you only need 1. The clock was stopped on the try.
    Most of the time I hate the 3rd and long draw or run, I even got a lecture from Steve on why coaches revert to it because I question that call. However, 3rd and 11 from the 8 in a tie game on the road, with less than 2mins and and the opponent has only one timeout? You're quibbling with that call and point to it as proof of some game management skill issue? I consider that beyond a reach. 1st and 2nd down were over, and I still contend they were trying to get the first down. They did get 7 on the first run, what if they got 8 or 9 on first or second down? They didn't.

You diminish their oppotuniypty to score a td, that's good. Any team has a chance to score a td on any play other than extra points. So? Team could have had a pick six too (more likely than normal considering Dalton's hospitality). What does that have to do with diminishing their chances?

They had only 2 seconds to get the FG try, I would say the chance for the Td was greatly diminished.

It's just not a good example of poor game management that you try to make it out to be.
    Last edited by sandiego17; 01-10-2014, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• sandiego17
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
      I tried to at the office yesterday and one of my co-workers sent me this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233[/ATTACH]
      That's funny.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
        SLAM DUNK!
        • Jun 2013
        • East County San Diego
        • Bolt fanatic
        • Send PM

I only have gone on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about it because of people disagreeing it was a poor decision.

You can say it was only 3 points yawn, whatever. I am not saying it was disastrous. I am just saying it was a poor decision (among many this season but thats beside the point). Yeah we lose and it comes under scrutiny we win it doesn't matter, I get that. None of that matters when you evaluate the situation itself and whether it was a good coaching moment or a bad coaching moment. Any type of statistical analysis or logical approach to evaluating it is going to tell you it was a bad coaching moment. I have laid out many of the reasons why. I don't see anything in that sequence where our offense was in any perilous situation where there was some huge risk of imminent disaster. The field position, the down and distance, the way the game was going with our offense, the time left on the clock, the score, the way ther offense had just found a rhythym against our defense...all of it combined even on the 3rd and 11...it's just a mountain of factors that say it was the wrong decision to be as conservative as they were. It led to us being down at the half having to kickoff and it very well could have been worse if they got in the end zone.

I think I have plenty of very good reasons that have been laid out hopefully pretty clearly by this point. Sure you may disagree it was a bad decision but are you really going to sit there and try to tell me I am way off base to call it a bad decision? And then try and argue with me and convince me why it was a perfectly fine decision? Your wasting your time, you ain't going to convince me. But I will argue with you if you go that route and there sure as hell ain't no way you are going to convince me, with my mountain of evidence and arguments, that it was a good decision. And everyone knows that no one would be calling it a good decision if we ended up losing.
        Last edited by BlazingBolt; 01-11-2014, 01:49 AM.
        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• BlazingBolt
          SLAM DUNK!
          • Jun 2013
          • East County San Diego
          • Bolt fanatic
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
          Most of the time I hate the 3rd and long draw or run, I even got a lecture from Steve on why coaches revert to it because I question that call. However, 3rd and 11 from the 8 in a tie game on the road, with less than 2mins and and the opponent has only one timeout? You're quibbling with that call and point to it as proof of some game management skill issue? I consider that beyond a reach. 1st and 2nd down were over, and I still contend they were trying to get the first down. They did get 7 on the first run, what if they got 8 or 9 on first or second down? They didn't.

You diminish their oppotuniypty to score a td, that's good. Any team has a chance to score a td on any play other than extra points. So? Team could have had a pick six too (more likely than normal considering Dalton's hospitality). What does that have to do with diminishing their chances?

They had only 2 seconds to get the FG try, I would say the chance for the Td was greatly diminished.

It's just not a good example of poor game management that you try to make it out to be.
          It's pretty damn ironic to me that I do not question a draw play on third and very long, I totally get it and usually do not have a problem with it depending on the game situation....yet you are the one that thinks these 3 conservative running plays on all more than 10 to go with so much time left were just perfectly fine.

It makes me think your idea that it was a fine decision is colored very much by the fact we won and that McCoy has done a great job getting us to the playoffs and winning a playoff game. Those are things I am clearly giving zero consideration when evaluating the coaching strategy at the end if the half.

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

I only have gone on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about it because of people disagreeing it was a poor decision.
            And you would have saved a lot of bandwidth if you'd politely agreed to disagree instead of making this your holy crusade.
            Adipose

Comment

• BlazingBolt
              SLAM DUNK!
              • Jun 2013
              • East County San Diego
              • Bolt fanatic
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
              And you would have saved a lot of bandwidth if you'd politely agreed to disagree instead of making this your holy crusade.
              Where is the fun in that?

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Opera singer and web developer.
                • Send PM

Where is the fun in that?
                Where is the fun in this?
                Adipose

Comment

• sandiego17
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

It's pretty damn ironic to me that I do not question a draw play on third and very long, I totally get it and usually do not have a problem with it depending on the game situation....yet you are the one that thinks these 3 conservative running plays on all more than 10 to go with so much time left were just perfectly fine.

It makes me think your idea that it was a fine decision is colored very much by the fact we won and that McCoy has done a great job getting us to the playoffs and winning a playoff game. Those are things I am clearly giving zero consideration when evaluating the coaching strategy at the end if the half.
                  It's pretty damn amazing to me that you don't consider game situations in your evaluations. I don't have a problem not only because the chargers won, but because there isn't a problem with it. It's pretty telling that you give zero consideration to other factors, as if decisions are made in a vacuum. All the countless points you give yourself credit for have been refuted, doesn't mean much to me that you consider your argument strong. Mountain of evidence was pretty funny though. And yes, I do think you are way off base. I think you are losing any sense of perspective because you don't like McCoy. When you reference acee's beyond embarrassing article as some sort of proof of anything and also claim you have never seen a coach employ such a strategy, it proves it.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                    SLAM DUNK!
                    • Jun 2013
                    • East County San Diego
                    • Bolt fanatic
                    • Send PM

I disagree completely. I am considering all factors of the game situation, not sure why your saying I'm not.

If we lost by 1 or 2 points I bet you would have a problem with it.

I like McCoy just fine right now, I just don't let that effect my judgement of a particular decision.

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Now THIS I think we all can agree with. We should have all just agreed to disagree and ended this agonizing thread 500 posts ago.

The ONLY issue, as I see it, is that you (Blaze) took it upon yourself to call people (or their opinions) 'stupid' (or something similar) because they disagreed with you. That was a BS thing for you to do, yet I didn't notice you taking on that particular issue with a response, despite the fact that I've posted at least twice about it here.

All the other bandwidth that has been wasted in this thread is just people simply digging their heels in and trying to 'prove' their OPINION, which ranks right up there with the World's Most Fruitless Tasks.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Mountain of opinions now = mountain of evidence. Goodnight Irene.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                          Grammar Police
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

No fun Q, he has annother 10 pages in him minimum!
                          Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                          X