Sorry Fellas. Mike McCoy is not the guy.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandiego17
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
    We passed up a good situation for our offense to give our opponent a good oppurtunity to score and take the lead which they did. I don't understand how anyone can justify doing that intentionally.
    First and thirteen at the 8. Not the traditional good situation. I hope the Bolts aren't in many similar situations vs. the Broncos, I don't consider them good.

It was a poor decision and it backfired and it could have been even worse.
    It was a decision, it didn't and it wasn't.

I get that no one wants to criticize anything about a coach who just won a playoff game but these type of poor decisions have cost is games this year and they are mistakes McCoy is still making.
    That's BS. All coaches make mistakes in every game, from Belicheat to Norval. To expect a perfect game is ridiculous. However, IMO, you are harping on a mistake that wasn't a mistake.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
      SLAM DUNK!
      • Jun 2013
      • East County San Diego
      • Bolt fanatic
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
      Get over yourself. what you have is an opinion. Nothing more. Nothing less. It is no more valid than any other here.
      Nearly 2 minutes left in the half and 2 timeouts, is clock really much of a factor?

Fact is it cost us the lead at half time, is the 8 yard line a place where you give up and don't even try to score normally?

I don't see why you do in that situation.

I don't think anyone actually wanted the chargers to run 3 times and punt in that situation and were thinking thank goodness we didn't try to score because we might turn it over if we did.

Anyone in the game day thread stoked we ran 3 times and punted?

I don't think so, it's just irrational defense of McCoy taking place here because we won and people don't want to criticize him and don't like other people doing so either.
      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• BlazingBolt
        SLAM DUNK!
        • Jun 2013
        • East County San Diego
        • Bolt fanatic
        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
        I prefer the team try to get first downs or score TDs when they have the ball
        Shocking. Apparently some think most nfl coaches would not.

Getting a turnover just to punt the ball is definitely an awesome strategy.
        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
          Personally, in that situation, I don't think it would have mattered to me much one way or the other, if they decided to go for the first (and more) or try to get the Bengals to use the timeouts. Its certainly no huge indictment on game management skills. McCoy isn't Andy Reid.
          I basically agree. But in this game against this particular opponent in that situation, I think the conservative approach was the way to go. The game in San Diego was a really tight, physical game until the end. I think my whole thing was to just keep it close. I'll trade 3 for 7 every time.

Comment

• KNSD
            Registered Charger Hater
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

And what was the point of that?
            LOL, I thought you guys were talking about the end of the game. Anyways, lacking those two timeouts increased the probability that Cincinnati would not get a TD on their following possession. (Also increased the probability that they wouldn't get a FG as well).

I don't think it was luck that they ruled that forward progress had stopped because, well, that's exactly what happened.
            Prediction:
            Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
            Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
            Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

We passed up a good situation for our offense
              What was the good opportunity that we gave up on 3rd and 11 at our 9?

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                I prefer the team try to get first downs or score TDs when they have the ball
                Agreed. But I think there are game situations that call for a more conservative approach. Minus the Gates penalty, we're in a situation to do that. With the half drawing to a close in which Cincy really was dominating us on offense, I don't really have an issue with playing field position deep in our own end. I'm sure as hell not going to risk a TO and go in down 7 vs down 3 (which as I said, is basically tied IMO).

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                  What was the good opportunity that we gave up on 3rd and 11 at our 9?
                  Maybe the first and 13 at the 8 was the good opportunity...

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Nearly 2 minutes left in the half and 2 timeouts, is clock really much of a factor?

Fact is it cost us the lead at half time, is the 8 yard line a place where you give up and don't even try to score normally?

I don't see why you do in that situation.

I don't think anyone actually wanted the chargers to run 3 times and punt in that situation and were thinking thank goodness we didn't try to score because we might turn it over if we did.

Anyone in the game day thread stoked we ran 3 times and punted?

I don't think so, it's just irrational defense of McCoy taking place here because we won and people don't want to criticize him and don't like other people doing so either.
                    I personally enjoy debating a difference of opinion and again, that is all it comes down to......an opinion. Your tone of " I am right, everyone else is wrong, and if you don't see that your football IQ bis lacking" is more than a little over the top.

there are pros and cons associated with both scenarios. You have nothing but conjecture that what you propose would be the better and more football savvy thing to do. The fact is we won the game by 17 pts, and held the best home team this year in the NFL to 10 pts. I was yelling at the tv in both cases (the 3 runs first half and 4th inches....wanted a sneak). however, I understand that given the opponent, flow of the game, and certain circumstances (backup OC just entered and perhaps did not want him calling protections vs. crafty DC and excellent blitzing team backed up on our 8). By no means do I presume that which I wanted to do was the best and most prudent course of action. Hence, although it was not what I wanted, I don't mind what they decided to do.

Comment

• TTK
                      EX-Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • America's Finest City
                      • Send PM

If the Gates holding penalty didn't occur and they had 2nd and short and convert the first down with (probably) another run, and get a little more breathing room around the 25 or so, then I think you probably see them open it up to a pass.

Most teams are going to probably go conservative in that situation, down and distance and the way the game was going, get to halftime and make some adjustments. If they were down by a couple of scores, then I think you have to get more aggressive but in a tie game, coaches are going to play it safe.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                        If the Gates holding penalty didn't occur and they had 2nd and short and convert the first down with (probably) another run, and get a little more breathing room around the 25 or so, then I think you probably see them open it up to a pass.

Most teams are going to probably go conservative in that situation, down and distance and the way the game was going, get to halftime and make some adjustments. If they were down by a couple of scores, then I think you have to get more aggressive but in a tie game, coaches are going to play it safe.
                        Agreed.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Pregame, I thought the best way to win this game was to stop Cincy's running game and put the ball in Dalton's hands. I was right, Dalton isn't ready for the big time yet.

IMO, the biggest mistake in this game was made by Marvin Lewis when he gave up on the running game way too early. If you can run successfully, you have to keep at it. I don't know if you call it winning football. but it sure is non-losing football.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X