Sorry Fellas. Mike McCoy is not the guy.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floydefisher
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • siberiacuse, ny
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    I find it hard to fault a coach when he makes a decision that works. We won both the Indy and Denver games so how was it the wrong call? It's only the wrong call if the team fails to convert. Was it the wrong call to run a fake punt at our own 29 yard line (or whatever it was) in the first Bronco game? If that would have gotten stuffed, McCoy would have been crucified by these same guys. Coaches make the right and wrong calls multiple times every game.
    This times about a billion.

Whether it's a right or wrong call is all based on execution. If the defense laid an egg and Manning had driven down the field for the tying score, then people would have claimed it's the wrong decision.

But since the defense came up huge and created a turnover, now McCoy is hailed as making a gutsy call.

It's not always what call you make, it's how the team executes the strategy you decide on.
    sigpic

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Bump.

Comment

• blahblahblah
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

Up and down like a toilet seat at a mixed party.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Time to lift this seats
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Pagano had gotten a lot of respect from players and other coaches dating back to a quote made by Wade Phillips back under Marty, when he attributed a lot of the half time adjustments to Pagano. I think way too many people put too much stock in that, because the guys who usually make the adjustments, or at least are in charge of figuring out what the other team is doing are the guys in the booth, and at the time Pagano was the top defensive assistant in the booth (usually teams put one top assistant/position coach, then the rest are the 2nd position coaches or QC guys).

The other times Pagano got a lot of good press was from the players, who have always been pulling for him. Not sure how many, but considering how many LB we keep, that is understandable too since we have a ton of those guys, and they get asked a lot more questions by the sportwriters. In hindsight, I am not sure he really had that much more support then any other position coach, although the LB coach usually is in a better position to be a coordinator, since he works with the front 7 and secondary.

I think the other thing people may be forgetting is that there has been a shortage of 34 guys who are qualified enough to be coordinators until lately. Only very few colleges run 34 D any more, and until lately the number of pro teams running 34 kept expanding each year. So it was always tough to find people with much experience in the 34. And especially after Rivera horrible learning curve year where he ran the 34 like it was a 43 slide front (his first fill season as DC).

The real problem with our DC picks is why everyone feels the need to get a DC with experience. If the best candidates out there are inexperienced but promising position coaches, just bit the bullet and hire them. That can apply to Pagano, but why not some other guy from another 34 team? AJ and Norv seemed very intent on making sure that whoever was hired had to have extensive experience, which I think excludes some of the best candidates. At some point, every guy has to get that first chance, so the experience thing is just being gutless, IMHO.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Pagano had gotten a lot of respect from players and other coaches dating back to a quote made by Wade Phillips back under Marty, when he attributed a lot of the half time adjustments to Pagano. I think way too many people put too much stock in that, because the guys who usually make the adjustments, or at least are in charge of figuring out what the other team is doing are the guys in the booth, and at the time Pagano was the top defensive assistant in the booth (usually teams put one top assistant/position coach, then the rest are the 2nd position coaches or QC guys).

The other times Pagano got a lot of good press was from the players, who have always been pulling for him. Not sure how many, but considering how many LB we keep, that is understandable too since we have a ton of those guys, and they get asked a lot more questions by the sportwriters. In hindsight, I am not sure he really had that much more support then any other position coach, although the LB coach usually is in a better position to be a coordinator, since he works with the front 7 and secondary.

I think the other thing people may be forgetting is that there has been a shortage of 34 guys who are qualified enough to be coordinators until lately. Only very few colleges run 34 D any more, and until lately the number of pro teams running 34 kept expanding each year. So it was always tough to find people with much experience in the 34. And especially after Rivera horrible learning curve year where he ran the 34 like it was a 43 slide front (his first fill season as DC).

The real problem with our DC picks is why everyone feels the need to get a DC with experience. If the best candidates out there are inexperienced but promising position coaches, just bit the bullet and hire them. That can apply to Pagano, but why not some other guy from another 34 team? AJ and Norv seemed very intent on making sure that whoever was hired had to have extensive experience, which I think excludes some of the best candidates. At some point, every guy has to get that first chance, so the experience thing is just being gutless, IMHO.
              AJ and Norv placed great emphasis on experience across the board. Rookies and young players rarely got run in their planning.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Just curious, how come McCoy and the rest of the coaching staff didn't know the rule against stacking the line on a field goal try?
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                  Just curious, how come McCoy and the rest of the coaching staff didn't know the rule against stacking the line on a field goal try?
                  I don't think it was a coaching call, more of a players getting eager on their own. McCoy said it was unintentional in the Monday PC. Then again, McCoy didn't remember the rules on challenging turnovers.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

He's in over his head.

Comment

• sandiego17
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Maybe Andy Reid can teach him a thing or two about game management.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        AJ and Norv seemed very intent on making sure that whoever was hired had to have extensive experience, which I think excludes some of the best candidates. At some point, every guy has to get that first chance, so the experience thing is just being gutless, IMHO.
                        that's a Spanos decision not an AJ/Norv decision. Spanos was ok with having 2 first time coordinators with Marty since Marty was an experienced HC on a clearly rebuilding team. Marty clearly wanted his brother as DC though but was vetoed by Spanos. Then Wade & Cam left and there was a delay in hiring the coordinators (Shelmon originally didn't want to get promoted to OC if anyone remembers), and unlike in 2002 when we were rebuilding, in 2007 it was a Spanos mandate for continuity due to us having a playoff caliber roster and didn't want 2 first time coordinators with Marty (after Shelmon signed as OC, this is when Pagano was first mentioned as a possible DC candidate but didnt get promoted). Pagano was passed over again as DC candidate when Rivera left and replaced by Manusky (who was a possible candidate for DC knowing Wade would be leaving...though Spanos might've vetoed that promotion too).

During the GM/HC search, i pointed out that there was no way Spanos would sign off on having the GM, HC AND both coordinators all be first timers at their titles, and that's exactly what we got. and if Pagano does get replaced (plus with Whiz likely leaving, with Reich the likely replacement), seeing as how we are now a playoff team, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the next DC will be an experienced one as well.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Kiszla asked for the dream playoff sequence for the Broncos.

Got me thinking. For the Bolts it would be to beat the Bengals, Manning, Brady and Brees
                          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X