• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Is ILB the running back of the defense?

Don't get me wrong, huge Butler fan. He is a great player. But in today's NFL, is inside LB a premium position? Or is it becoming undervalued the way RB seems to be? Butler is one of the best players, maybe the best on the Charger defense, yet when he is out, the defense seems unchanged. No better, no worse. Just the same. He is a far, far better player than any of his replacements, so is it the position? Wondering if he is going to get that big contract.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

The front office needs to make that evaluation. It really comes down to the dollar figure. I've been pretty vocal about his short comings and paying for his potential vs production. His production surely hasn't merited that big Cushing/Lee type contract. His continued inability to stay healthy makes it very difficult to give him that big guaranteed contract.

Are we better off drafting another rookie ILB and signing Jarius Byrd for example? Maybe a top OLB or NT. They have to determine how to best spend that dollar amount that they have projected for Butler's extension (or at least had this preseason).

It would be a much easier decision if he could get back on the field and actually earn the extension with his play.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Te'O > Mathews ?
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I am thinking more about the ILB position itself and not so much specifically Butler. Is ILB considered a second tier position that can be filled with an average player? Or is a superstar ILB a big deal nowadays?

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• MakoShark
          Disgruntled
          • Jun 2013
          • North Alabama
          • Send PM

Maybe in the 3-4 D that we run the ILB role is slightly deminished because there are 2 of them?

Where's Steve when you need him.
          sigpic

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

In certain systems. such as the Tampa Two, the MLB is still a key position, if he has freakish skills to be able to cover deep, but still play the run tough, like Urlacher. When the run is devalued, the MLB really has to have good cover skills, obviously. I would say that inside linebackers are as replaceable in systems as the running back, but if you get a good one, they tend to be around for a long time too. The position doesn't require the player to be a freak of nature, and so the 'freaks' are playing in impact positions, like OLB, or DE, to get to the QB. It seems extremely rare that an ILB will be drafted in the top half of the 1st round anymore... T'eo might have, if he didn't show his physical limitations in the Alabama game, and had an imaginary affair.

Oh, and IIRC, Urlacher was drafted initially as a strong safety.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              In certain systems. such as the Tampa Two, the MLB is still a key position, if he has freakish skills to be able to cover deep, but still play the run tough, like Urlacher. When the run is devalued, the MLB really has to have good cover skills, obviously. I would say that inside linebackers are as replaceable in systems as the running back, but if you get a good one, they tend to be around for a long time too. The position doesn't require the player to be a freak of nature, and so the 'freaks' are playing in impact positions, like OLB, or DE, to get to the QB. It seems extremely rare that an ILB will be drafted in the top half of the 1st round anymore... T'eo might have, if he didn't show his physical limitations in the Alabama game, and had an imaginary affair.

Oh, and IIRC, Urlacher was drafted initially as a strong safety.
              This. It really depends on the type of defense and scheme. If you play the Tampa 2...MLB is extremely important like Urlacher.

It can also be very important in the 3-4 depending on the type run... for example the Baltimore Ravens style of 3-4 for most of Ray Lewis career.

You could argue that the Chargers did this with Stephen Cooper under Rivera too.

It's all about assignments, how you want them to manage the gaps, etc... where are you funnelling the ball to.

Our current defense...it kinda seems like the ILB's are interchangable.

I'm no expert by any means... I'm not a fb coach, I've just learned by watching and learning.
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• KNSD
                Registered Charger Hater
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Can he stop the run AND cover that quick RB/TE? Give him the cash. If he can't do both then he's pretty disposable.
                Prediction:
                Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Opera singer and web developer.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by bolt-o View Post
                  oh, and iirc, urlacher was drafted initially as a strong safety.
                  IIRC, YRI.

Please disable this fucking ridiculous filter that converts all-uppercase posts to lowercase!
                  Last edited by Panama; 10-18-2013, 12:11 PM. Reason: Fucking hell, if I want to type all-caps, I WILL TYPE ALL-CAPS!!!
                  Adipose

Comment

• sandiego17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                    Can he stop the run AND cover that quick RB/TE? Give him the cash. If he can't do both then he's pretty disposable.
                    Tough to do on the inactive list. His biggest issues have been getting dinged up all the time. Not necessarily his fault, but is that the type of player you want to give a large long term contract? At the same time, when playing, he's not exactly been dominant this season, disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                    X