• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OhioBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

How would this Defense look if?

It would be interesting to see if these two players (Ingram & Taylor) would make a difference in our defense. Ingram doesn't get injured we don't sign Freeney, and Freeney has been good for us, but I have to think a younger, stronger, faster Ingram would have and equal or even a little better impact. Taylor I think hands down would be better at safety Gilchrist is always a step too slow and out of position. Soon as Taylor is completely healthy it is time to plug him in. The other injury we don't know how good he could be, but we know he has the speed and quickness to be a nickel CB Steve William the rookie. I think they would of made a difference in our two defeats.

RDE Corey Liuget
    DT Cam Thomas
    LDE Kendall Reyes
    OLB Melvln Ingram
    ILB Manti Te'o
    ILB Donald Butler
    OLB Jarret Johnson
    RCB Shareece Wright
    LCB Derek Cox
    SS Brandon Taylor
    FS Eric Weddle
  • Yubaking
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Ingram out with an injury has had about as much of an impact as Freeney did for us (0.5 sacks, 2 tackles). It is not yet known if Ingram will grow into being an elite pass rusher. You can't ignore his lack of sacks last year in significant playing time and pretend that he is a fully proven player. Cox looks average as a #1 CB. Wright is well below average for a #2 CB. We don't know what Te'o has. We don't know what Taylor has. We do know that he wasn't good enough to beat out Bigby as a rookie. We are weaker at NT. I don't think anyone questions that.

So I think we need a CB and NT for sure and may or may not need additional help at SS and ILB. We may need to find a pass rusher at OLB as well. We have 6 picks in next year's draft and I would spend at least 5 of them on the defensive side of the ball.

The defense is much worse than last year's right now and I think it would be even if Ingram and Taylor were healthy, but maybe not quite as bad as it has been.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I really hope Ingram can come back this season. I'd like to see what he can do out there.

I don't know if Taylor will ever amount to anything.
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• sandiego17
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
        Ingram out with an injury has had about as much of an impact as Freeney did for us (0.5 sacks, 2 tackles).
        Serious question, did you watch the Eagle game or did you just look at the box score? If you didn't see the impact, you're not watching closely. Arguments about his value vs. contract, etc. are plausible, your impact argument citing only sacks is useless. Now he's hurt, he can't make much of an impact on the field hurt, now can he? He may still be have an impact with the young guys, but that will be impossible to measure. Are you arguing Phillips wouldn't have got hurt? What is the point? Last week you Freeney wasn't the issue (according to you), his getting hurt made him the issue?

The defense is much worse than last year's right now and I think it would be even if Ingram and Taylor were healthy, but maybe not quite as bad as it has been.
        Even though you think it was terrific, some disagree (really happy Telesco is one of them), and you cannot simply dismiss that disagreement. You have not persuaded those who think it was bad in the least bit and self-congratulatory "read my post as proof" isn't proof. Last years D wasn't good. This D has been worse, and yet most are still not interested in reliving last years D with Bigby, Spikes, Martin, Cason, etc. getting playing time. Crezy right?

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Might as well 'bold' Manti's name, too, for all he's seen the field.

Ingram would have fun to watch this season...however...he didn't exactly set the world on fire as a rookie.

The few plays that Taylor participated in during the pre-season gave me some hope for him. He appears to be quite a 'thumper'.

You might as well add Williams to the list of 'missing persons', too.

We SHOULD draft defense heavy next year.

And...perhaps a quality FA?

The defense could have 4-5 new starters.

Comment

Working...
          X