Josh Rosen : A mess off the field

• Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    http://www.yardbarker.com/college_fo...12680_23882356

That UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen has all the raw physical talent to succeed at the next level is a question that’s not up for debate. But based on a simple comment made by an AFC executive, it appears NFL teams are concerned about Rosen’s off-the-field personality.

“He’s the one I know the best — he’s got size, athletic tools, velocity,” the executive told Albert Breer of The MMQB. “He’s just a mess off the field and he’s coming off the injury. He needs to grow up, but the talent is off the charts.”

This is something that will be heavily scrutinized in the next 11-plus months leading up to the 2018 NFL Draft.

Rosen is brash. This is known.

He is a guy who had no issue showing off his displeasure with Donald Trump with a hat worn on the golf course last year.

He’s also a kid that put a hot tub in his freshman dorm room and isn’t shy about saying whatever it is that’s on his mind — controversial or not. In a feature for Bleacher Report last year, he shocked people by saying, “The whole CTE thing is completely overblown.”

Though, it’s worth pointing out he had a viable reason for saying that, at least in his own mind.

“The NFL should be more worried about pensions than CTE,” Rosen says. “In the NFL, when you have guys run into each other head-on, full speed, s–t is going to happen. But at least they’re getting paid millions of dollars. In college, they’ve been running head-to-head into each other for what, an education? You see the irony? That’s what you’re supposed to be using your head for, an education.

“If you have CTE by the time you’re 60, but you’re a millionaire up to that point, awesome. But if you’re medically retired from football because of concussions in college and never saw a cent of anything, and all you got was a scholarship, and you’re supposed to be academically sound but you have headaches the rest of your life that affect your work, that’s f– up.”

It’s going to be fascinating to see what emerges as the NFL looks into Rosen’s life in a major way this next year.

He’s about to enter his junior season at UCLA and is no doubt going to come out of school to declare for the draft, barring another injury like the one he suffered last year. He’s fully healthy and is back to practice after suffering a nerve injury to his throwing shoulder.

If he does stay healthy, then there is a real chance Rosen could be one of the first players taken off the board when the draft begins next April.

If, that is, teams are comfortable with who he is off the field. And at this point, it seems that’s in no way a given.
    I like it. Because I agree with talking about the problems, not hiding them.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Agree... and who didn't have a f*!#ing HOT TUB in their freshman dorm ??!!! Yeeeeehaw
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

I didn't see anything major there either but it was worth a post to see how others feel. I'm thinking he had to leave out something else to call him a mess.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Better a hot tub than a bong. Like I had.

Oh yeah, the bad old days of my youth.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• madcaplaughs
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Agreed, the things I said and did when I was that age..... Boy, if I'd been under a microscope.... In retrospect, I guess its better that I could read a book rather than play football!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

I saw nothing worrisome other than the nerve injury in his throwing shoulder.
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

I wonder if the Patriots would draft this guy.
                For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• foreigner
                  Tom Telesco is gone
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

When through his twitter account. Nothing wrong with this kid.....

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

The lack of immaturity raises some big questions from a guy who needs to be a leader, but I really didn't see a huge amount of giant red flags that the article title sort of implied.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

I think there's a difference between immaturity and lack of leadership. Jameis Winston showed time and time again that he was immature, but no one ever said he wasn't a leader. I also think it's pretty unfair and unreasonable to expect a college student not to be immature at times.

Comment

• bolts4lyfe
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Mar 2017
                        • Send PM

Heard an interview with Telesco the other day, Host asked him about being interested in next years QB class and if he's excited to watch Sam Darnold, Telesco revised the question and said he's lucky he'll get to watch both Rosen and Darnold, just thought it was interesting that instead of saying yes, he took it further to mention Rosen

Comment

Working...
                        X