• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OhioBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

At The Beginning Of The Season

At the beginning of the season I think everybody main concern was our offensive line, and we thought we would be okay defensively even though we lost Melvin Ingram and signed Dwight Freeney, we still had the expectation we would be at least decent defensively. We thought our D-line was solid but lack depth, we thought our LB's would be okay, and everybody thought Cox and Wright were upgrades over Jammer and Cason.

With all that said after the first two games and going late into the the 4th quarter of the Titans game, the Offensive line has performed way better than any of us expected, Rivers looks like the Pro Bowler of years past. I think everybody is pleased how we performed based on what we thought would be a big question mark heading into the season.

The defense is now where near what we thought and posted prior to the start of the season. This defense is a MAYJOR dissapointment, hopefully they get healthy and turn things around. We didn't expect this kind of performance at all.
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

The defense lacked so much depth that this was expected. You can't have guys playing that many downs and not have them wear down. And once starters go down to injury the defense is screwed.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Why do people think they are playing so many snaps? They aren't. They just aren't producing. Just look at the Dline snaps across the league, they all play a lot.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

We are really missing a good nose tackle. I think Reyes and Luigit are showing the effects of not having a solid block eater in the middle.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
          http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Why do people think they are playing so many snaps? They aren't. They just aren't producing. Just look at the Dline snaps across the league, they all play a lot.
          Because their #'s don't add up
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Relax everyone, Teo will fix it!
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• OhioBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
              The defense lacked so much depth that this was expected. You can't have guys playing that many downs and not have them wear down. And once starters go down to injury the defense is screwed.
              This is true and noted about the depth I and many others posted the same pertaining to depth, but the first two games we only were missing Teo, and we really don't know how he will perform because we didn't get to see him in pre-season. The one thing we know Teo is an instintive player and I believe he will help, but he's in catch up mode. I think the overall thought is we would be decent defensively. So first two games they are the accounted starters except Bird, but coming out of pre-season he was coached up to start. I think the starter with the exception of Bird are good enough to get some 3 and outs, but this isn't happening often enough.

Lack of pressure up front ant the expectation of Keys and Ligiet to step up, and the national media thought they would be improved therefore free up the LB to ge sacks. This isn't happening.

Jammer lost a few steps, Cason just for whatever reasons couldn't put it together so we upgraded with Cox and Wright right? We play too loose in coverage in the secondary with improved speed, we are rarely in position in the secondary to make a play on the ball or at least be in positon to bat or deflect the ball away or get a tip interception. Our lone interception came from the Defensive line.

Comment

• TTK
                EX-Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • America's Finest City
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                We are really missing a good nose tackle. I think Reyes and Luigit are showing the effects of not having a solid block eater in the middle.
                I don't think that's all it. If you watch them, they're not playing well, getting pushed around. I didn't realize Reyes and Liuget switched positions but maybe it's time to move them back? Same goes for Weddle.

Yeah, there is the lack of depth. But what in the world is Pagano doing with his best players?

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I see a lot of poor play, but I'm also not digging what Pagano is trying to do. It's not like I think Cox is freelancing and playing 15 yards off on his own. The Weddle experiment is a failure. The blitz calls are weak and I don't get the delays at all. I understand he is covering some warts, but man, I think you just have to let these guys play a little.

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                    I don't think that's all it. If you watch them, they're not playing well, getting pushed around. I didn't realize Reyes and Liuget switched positions but maybe it's time to move them back? Same goes for Weddle.

Yeah, there is the lack of depth. But what in the world is Pagano doing with his best players?
                    I don't either because they aren't making playing in the 4 down nickel either.

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Next season, God willing, we will have:

- Manti back
                      - Ingram back
                      - Williams back
                      - Taylor in the lineup
                      - 2nd-round and 3rd-round (picks #35 and #77) spent on defense
                      - Perhaps, finally, a decent (i.e., somewhat expensive) FA pickup
                      - Some additional depth, everywhere

And a starting LT, taken at #3.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                        Next season, God willing, we will have:

- Manti back
                        - Ingram back
                        - Williams back
                        - Taylor in the lineup
                        - 2nd-round and 3rd-round (picks #35 and #77) spent on defense
                        - Perhaps, finally, a decent (i.e., somewhat expensive) FA pickup
                        - Some additional depth, everywhere

And a starting LT, taken at #3.
                        At this point, I'd rather the Chargers go after a pass rusher with #1 next year, providing a good one is available when they pick. Dunlap looks like he can be a pretty decent LT stopgap for another year or more if necessary.

Right now OLB is much weaker than LT.

Comment

Working...
                        X