• SoCal
    • Send PM

Team Concept

• BoltBalls
    Always keep eye contact!
    • Jun 2013
    • SD!
    • Send PM

I think if we were playing against the Broncos in the same exact situation we would have attempted at least one pass for a first down in that final drive. Same strategy goes for any opposing team with a good QB and offense. We played the odds with letting a team not normally known for its passing game and a young QB try to drive down the field and win the game with under 2 minutes left.

Granted, we were shorthanded on D so it is hard to put the game in the hands of players who just came off the street to fill in. Then again, we had guys on the OL at the time all shuffled around as well as one of our key 3rd down WRs in Floyd not in the game. A tough situation all around, and obviously hindsight is 20-20 when the plan failed.

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

Play to your strengths and go for the win.

Comment

• TABF
        Por debajo del promedio
        • Jun 2013
        • SoCal
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
        It took me 5 long paragraphs to say that.

Comment

• BoltBalls
          Always keep eye contact!
          • Jun 2013
          • SD!
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
          If the passing play failed and they were given more time on the clock to drive down and win in the same manner, there would be the same exact thread about how we should have run the ball to grind out more clock.

Comment

• KNSD
            Registered Charger Hater
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Getting a 1st down is more important than running the ball.
            Prediction:
            Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
            Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
            Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• TABF
              Por debajo del promedio
              • Jun 2013
              • SoCal
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBalls View Post
              If the passing play failed and they were given more time on the clock to drive down and win in the same manner, there would be the same exact thread about how we should have run the ball to grind out more clock.
              Not from me... win/lose doing what you do best... after 12 quarters of football even the lamest of bolt fans knows what that is.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Yup.

Comment

• sandiego17
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

There are some that would criticize Telesco or McCoy regardless, so yes, agreed. However, there would have been some who understood why they would try to get a first down there, even with the risk. Or nobody would care either way if Gilchrist...

Comment

• BoltBalls
                    Always keep eye contact!
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SD!
                    • Send PM

I can definitely see both points to the argument, but considering it was the Titans with Jake Locker who haven't proven that they could execute such a game winning drive before with that little of time left on the clock and no timeouts it was simply a play on the percentages. It seemed like a good idea at the time especially with the patchwork OL and the fact that we were up by 4 points, but the offense is the team's strength like others have stated so it was a tough call.

I'm not fully supporting one decision or the other in this scenario as it is now all biased judgement anyways. All I know is that if that INT was caught or the defense made a stop, we would have praised McCoy/Whis for grinding clock in that scenario.

Comment

• sandiego17
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

The OL being what it was almost made the decision for the staff. Not sure what the thinking was behind the defensive call on the TD.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

I can definitely see both points to the argument, but considering it was the Titans with Jake Locker who haven't proven that they could execute such a game winning drive before with that little of time left on the clock and no timeouts it was simply a play on the percentages. It seemed like a good idea at the time especially with the patchwork OL and the fact that we were up by 4 points, but the offense is the team's strength like others have stated so it was a tough call.

I'm not fully supporting one decision or the other in this scenario as it is now all biased judgement anyways. All I know is that if that INT was caught or the defense made a stop, we would have praised McCoy/Whis for grinding clock in that scenario.
                        Jake Locker was as unproven as this defense was.

Rivers completed 20/24 passes yesterday. Let him throw a quick pass or something. I can understand killing more clock if they had less than a minute left but they had over 2 minutes and the two minute warning. That's way too much time, even for QBs not named Manning or Brady.

Even if Gilchrist makes that INT, it just would have been a lucky bounce. Not a great defensive call or play. The receiver was wide open and should have had a big gain on that.

Comment

Working...
                        X