• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

First Look - Charger's 90 man roster

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

Really excited to see the camp battles on the OL and in the secondary.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

This is why i dont think we cut any of the OL before camp. Possibly but i think fear of losing your job can bring out the best of a guy like Franklin and Tuerk. Lets see how they respond to players coming in expected to win. And with jobs on the line. I as well am looking forward to the battles. Im excited to see how Jenkins looks. New defense though. Probably new terminology. Altanta's D didnt gel with young players until later last year. They run some of the same under/over schemes. The key for them were the additions of Neal and Jones. I just hope we are ok in the middle on the back end. So King will be fun to watch fight for a roll.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I think they want the compition for camp. But if I was Franklin, I would be ready to go day 1, because I think he could be a pre-1st cut release to give him a chance to catch on with another team. The rest I think they want to see how things work out. Line them up, see who competes.

There is a much bigger difference in terms of concepts between the old defense and the new for Atlanta than with us.

OLD D------VS------NEW D
        Nolan 34D---------Quinns 43.
        Pagano's 34D --- Bradley's 43

Nolan plays an old style 34 that 2 gaps, we played a 34 over/under shifted 34. The Seattle Quinn/Bradley D is built on a D that is very similar to Wade's D, with the 43 over/under alignments, 34 personnel (rush LB playing LEO, 3 DL similar to the 34DE, NT, DT group).

Add into the tranisiton that I think Quinn is still gutting the roster to get guys he wanted. I know our D is in a bit of transition, but it has a number of good players and the unit played well in stretches last year.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

If Andre Williams is finally playing up to his potential - on a consistent basis - that would be HUGE!!!! I think it could be the difference between playoffs or no playoffs. Because we all know Gordon will either get hurt or need time off from time to time due to overuse. He can't run 40 times a game. That would be awesome. Go Andre.
          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• chargerkdb
            Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Hotter than hell, Georgia
            • Send PM

Factor in that there will be cuts both now and post June 1. With teams changing coaches and schemes there will be guys cut that just didn't fit but still have some tread. We were fortunate to pick up Slauson last year, hopefully we will get a shot at one or two this season

Comment

• bolts4lyfe
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2017
              • Send PM

My projected 53 (we all know another player or two will be added like a Slauson, Flowers, Barksdale, Freeney)

QB: Phillip Rivers, Kellen Clemmens
              RB: Melvin Gordon, Andre Williams, Branden Oliver, Kenjon Barner
              FB: Derek Watt
              TE: Hunter Henry, Antonio Gates Jeff Cumberland, Sean McGrath
              WR1: Mike Williams, Tyrell Williams
              WR2: Keenan Allen, Travis Benjamin, Dontrell Inman
              LT: Russell Okung, Chris hairston
              LG: Forrest Lamp,
              OC: Max Turek, Spencer Pulley
              RG: Matt Slauson, Dan Feeney
              RT: Joe Barksdale
              (24)

LDE: Joey Bosa, Chris Landrum, Isaac Rochelle
              DT: Corey Liuget, Carraun Reid, Darius Philon
              NT:Brandon Mebane, Damien Square
              RDE: Melvin Ingram, Jerry Attaochu
              SAM: Korey Toomer, Kyle Emanuel
              MIKE: Denzel Perryman, Joshua Perry
              WILL: Jatavis Brown, James Onwualu
              RCB: Jason Verrett, Craig Mager
              SS: Jahleel Addae, Rayshawn Jenkins, Dexter McCoil
              FS: Trovon Reed, Dwight Lowery
              LCB: Casey Hayward, Desmond King, Trevor Williams
              (26)

PK: Josh Lambo
              P: Drew Kaiser
              LS: Mike Windt
              (3)

Obviously I won't go into depth about QB, but for WR I have Williams pegged as the number 1 (as Rivers new go to contested catch guy he loves throwing to) with Allen as the 2 who can go to the slot in 3 wide out sets with Benjamin as the deep route runner, Tyrell and Inman go back to the spots as valuable depth, injuries aside this corp is very strong.

TE I think this year is the year HH takes the reigns from Gates, allowing Gates to remain fresh as purely a Redzone threat and a situational 3rd down pass catcher, Cumberland adds nice depth as strictly a blocking TE you can catch and McGrath stays for how well he did as a blocker.

RB Melvin Godon is the absolute winner this offseason, getting a run first HC, getting Okung, and getting upgrades on the O line, he will share touches with Adre Williams who the team is extremely high on with Oliver taking the Woodhead role as the 3rd down pass catcher, Barner will remain depth and serve a role as a kick returner

The O line is the biggest question, so many pieces to project, only real sure thing is Okung at LT, I went with Lamp at LG because thats where I project his best position, I think Turek will get every opportunity to start at Center and last season training and learning the NFL game will do wonders for him this coming year, Slauson will sure up the right side adding a veteran leader on the line, Barksdale's back and I am hopeful having an established player next to him will bring him back to 2015 form. Feeney will become the RG of the future but will serve his first year as valuable depth. Regardless I think Franklin is gone

Telesco already said the edge rushers are Ingram and Bosa and he's excited to have Attaochu and Landrum as depth
              the rest of the Dline is pretty set, with Mebane, Liuget and guys like Philon, Reid, and Square

Toomer is a player to keep an eye on in TC an I believe he gets the start on the strong side, Perryman will be the Mike as he is slowly developing into the leader on this defense, and Brown will become the Will and focus strictly covering the TE.

Verrett and Hayward will start, the team depth is up in the air, as many have pointed out, King will produce as Nickel CB covering the slot, The team is very high on Trovon Reed he did very well for us in his 2 starts at the end of the season, tallying 14 tackle 2 Int's and 3 pass deflections, I'd like to see him get a shot at FS.

That's all I have for now, what are your thoughts?
              Last edited by bolts4lyfe; 05-03-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Rugger05
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by bolts4lyfe View Post
                My projected 53 (we all know another player or two will be added like a Slauson, Flowers, Barksdale, Freeney)

QB: Phillip Rivers, Kellen Clemmens
                RB: Melvin Gordon, Andre Williams, Branden Oliver, Kenjon Barner
                FB: Derek Watt
                TE: Hunter Henry, Antonio Gates Jeff Cumberland, Sean McGrath
                WR1: Mike Williams, Tyrell Williams
                WR2: Keenan Allen, Travis Benjamin, Dontrell Inman
                LT: Russell Okung, Chris hairston
                LG: Forrest Lamp,
                OC: Max Turek, Spencer Pulley
                RG: Matt Slauson, Dan Feeney
                RT: Joe Barksdale
                (24)

LDE: Joey Bosa, Chris Landrum, Isaac Rochelle
                DT: Corey Liuget, Carraun Reid, Darius Philon
                NT:Brandon Mebane, Damien Square
                RDE: Melvin Ingram, Jerry Attaochu
                SAM: Korey Toomer, Kyle Emanuel
                MIKE: Denzel Perryman, Joshua Perry
                WILL: Jatavis Brown, James Onwualu
                RCB: Jason Verrett, Craig Mager
                SS: Jahleel Addae, Rayshawn Jenkins, Dexter McCoil
                FS: Trovon Reed, Dwight Lowery
                LCB: Casey Hayward, Desmond King, Trevor Williams
                (26)

PK: Josh Lambo
                P: Drew Kaiser
                LS: Mike Windt
                (3)

Obviously I won't go into depth about QB, but for WR I have Williams pegged as the number 1 (as Rivers new go to contested catch guy he loves throwing to) with Allen as the 2 who can go to the slot in 3 wide out sets with Benjamin as the deep route runner, Tyrell and Inman go back to the spots as valuable depth, injuries aside this corp is very strong.

TE I think this year is the year HH takes the reigns from Gates, allowing Gates to remain fresh as purely a Redzone threat and a situational 3rd down pass catcher, Cumberland adds nice depth as strictly a blocking TE you can catch and McGrath stays for how well he did as a blocker.

RB Melvin Godon is the absolute winner this offseason, getting a run first HC, getting Okung, and getting upgrades on the O line, he will share touches with Adre Williams who the team is extremely high on with Oliver taking the Woodhead role as the 3rd down pass catcher, Barner will remain depth and serve a role as a kick returner

The O line is the biggest question, so many pieces to project, only real sure thing is Okung at LT, I went with Lamp at LG because thats where I project his best position, I think Turek will get every opportunity to start at Center and last season training and learning the NFL game will do wonders for him this coming year, Slauson will sure up the right side adding a veteran leader on the line, Barksdale's back and I am hopeful having an established player next to him will bring him back to 2015 form. Feeney will become the RG of the future but will serve his first year as valuable depth. Regardless I think Franklin is gone

Telesco already said the edge rushers are Ingram and Bosa and he's excited to have Attaochu and Landrum as depth
                the rest of the Dline is pretty set, with Mebane, Liuget and guys like Philon, Reid, and Square

Toomer is a player to keep an eye on in TC an I believe he gets the start on the strong side, Perryman will be the Mike as he is slowly developing into the leader on this defense, and Brown will become the Will and focus strictly covering the TE.

Verrett and Hayward will start, the team depth is up in the air, as many have pointed out, King will produce as Nickel CB covering the slot, The team is very high on Trovon Reed he did very well for us in his 2 starts at the end of the season, tallying 14 tackle 2 Int's and 3 pass deflections, I'd like to see him get a shot at FS.

That's all I have for now, what are your thoughts?
                Barring the infamous Chargers injuries on the team I see the o-line as the biggest battles going into TC. I think Slauson deserves a spot somewhere but where does he fit in with the two rookies and Tuerk? Does Lamp get kicked out to RT? Do the Chargers feel like starting two rookies and a 2nd year player up the middle? So many options!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I don't see Mike Williams as a day 1 starter. I have him as the #4 or 5 WR to start. Maybe he's a starter by mid season after he gets some seasoning.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

I'm also hoping Toomer gets a starter's spot.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• bolts4lyfe
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2017
                      • Send PM

Agreed, I prefer Slauson at Center due to continuity, I just hated to leave Turek out as the forgotten man again, haha

I would like a

vet, rook,vet,rook, vet type of set up, will be interesting to see how it plays itself out. We actually might get a subtle hint where they line up, tomorrow when the rookies report for mini camp, I believe that starts tomorrow, Telesco said in an interview "Thursday the rookies come in" but I haven't seen any confirmation on the site

Comment

• bolts4lyfe
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Mar 2017
                        • Send PM

He was really good for us last year against the run, I'm hoping he continues off of that, he seems like one of those household type guys that will be really good but really underrated, If Emanuel is his biggest competition his chances are good

Comment

Working...
                        X