• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

2013 Defence Berometer.

Did our defence get better or worse this year?

Not a poll, and ongoing thrashing out as the season progresses.

I am not sure yet myself. IMO, if we stop deflating late in games due to self inflicked stuff thats a big improvement.
    Go Rivers!
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Biggest disappointment for me so far is Reyes and Liuget. Neither has made much of an impact on the games. I expected much more of a disruptive presence from both players. Starting to think it was a mistake having them switch sides. Liuget's "injury" may be playing a role in his decreased production, but sadly we have no fucking clue about it.

These two guys were the key to setting up the rest of the D. They need to step up.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

#9 vs. #31

Bring Back Atari Bigby!!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Mods if you want move Yuba's detours here!
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• sandiego17
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Moving from the Rivers is phenomenal thread:

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
          I have not said that those players are good. Sadly, they are only better than the players that have replaced them. Yes, there are lots of games for the defense to get better and yes, they have played against two above average offenses, but they have looked so bad that they will have to do something very different to improve to anywhere near the level at which the defense played last year.
          Disagree in regards to the first line, I think Freeney is definitely better than Phillips. Martin is imminently replaceable. Bigby? Seriously?

I don't see how you think players like Jammer, Spikes and Bigby would not continue to regress, and regress awfully quickly. Even if you kept that D completely in tact, I do believe they would just continue to get worse, no upside there. Hell, none of them even play today. At some point you have to play and develop the young guys the franchise has drafted and invested in. Looking forward to seeing Te'o get some reps, and yes, I do expect him to be a rookie.

Comment

• onelazyfock
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I think we played two high power passing offenses which is a bad matchup for and almost any team in the league. I would bet both will be top 5 offenses at the end of the season. They haven't played well, but they haven't played terribly. Against those teams you need to force turnovers. The lack of turnovers is the biggest disappointment so far but you have to give some credit to the other offenses for taking care of the ball. There weren't many missed opportunities in the department (dropped int's or unrecovered fumbles). That being said I think we matchup much better with running offenses, so hopefully we can do better in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Too early to tell. Plus it sucks losing 2 starting LBers and our starting nickle back before the first game. Nice they did enough against Vick to keep us in it for our first TT/MM win.

Comment

• UtahBolt
                Did we win?
                • Jun 2013
                • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                • Send PM

IMO-The jury is still out on this defense. Statistically they do not look very good but they made just enough plays to win the game yesterday and came up a play or two short of winning last week. They have played two very high powered offenses, outside of Denver they probably won't play many offenses that good again this season. Now, if they give up 400+ yards to Jake Locker and the Titans than we have a real problem.
                I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Yubaking
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                  Moving from the Rivers is phenomenal thread:

Disagree in regards to the first line, I think Freeney is definitely better than Phillips. Martin is imminently replaceable. Bigby? Seriously?

I don't see how you think players like Jammer, Spikes and Bigby would not continue to regress, and regress awfully quickly. Even if you kept that D completely in tact, I do believe they would just continue to get worse, no upside there. Hell, none of them even play today. At some point you have to play and develop the young guys the franchise has drafted and invested in. Looking forward to seeing Te'o get some reps, and yes, I do expect him to be a rookie.
                  I don't mind Freeney at all. I think Freeney replaced Ingram, not Phillips. Having Phillips and Freeney would not have been such a bad thing since we only have Freeney to rush the passer right now.

I never advocated keeping Spikes, Garay or Cason. Spikes and Garay cost too much and Cason just sucks. Jammer was better than Wright last year, so I would have liked to have seen that competition play out instead of signing a player like Patrick, who looked lost out there yesterday. I realize that would leave us with just Gilchrist for nickel CB, but Patrick is just not the answer at that position. Clearly, Phillips and Barnes should have been kept. D. Wlliams was very good for us last year in a reserve role. Honestly, I have no idea why we did not sign him for this year. Bigby is not good, but he is probably better than anyone we have right now. Franklin played very well for us last year.

My plan would have been to keep these guys and draft defensive players in 2014 and 2015 to replace the veterans. My thought is that Patrick, Wynn, Bird, et cetera are nothing more than fringe roster/waiver wire type players. It's not like we are going to build anything with players like that playing for us. We are going to have to replace them anyway, so why not keep proven veterans for now. I agree that some of the veterans were long in the tooth, but we needed just a year or two out of them.

I think the proof is in the results. Last year the unit finished #9. This year they are #31 so far. I expect them to get some better, but I don't see the athletes necessary for the defense to be even out of the 20s overall, which is what I thought was going to happen.

On a positive note, the offense is much better than I thought it would be.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

The proof vs. two of the top offenses in the league? Yea hardly. On a short week, going cross country, for an early game.

Comment

• sandiego17
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      The proof vs. two of the top offenses in the league? Yea hardly. On a short week, going cross country, for an early game.
                      Preseason was proof, this is pudding.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Time to defends this beerometers
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X