• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thelightningwill
    Go Aztecs and Pads
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

running and defense

Did I miss something or did the Chargers bench Mathews and Woodhead for most of the second half? Seemed like we quit on the running game for no reason.

I still wish we hadn't dumped Franklin at nose tackle. Thomas kept getting pushed aside last night.
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
    Did I miss something or did the Chargers bench Mathews and Woodhead for most of the second half? Seemed like we quit on the running game for no reason.

I still wish we hadn't dumped Franklin at nose tackle. Thomas kept getting pushed aside last night.
    Maybe they were dinged up but they were out for a long time. I don't recall if Woodhead got back in.

Comment

• thelightningwill
      Go Aztecs and Pads
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
      Maybe they were dinged up but they were out for a long time. I don't recall if Woodhead got back in.
      He was in for the Cushing touchdown. Woodhead seems like Brown's backup.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Last night's split in Chargers backfield: Ronnie Brown 25 offensive snaps, Ryan Mathews 20, Danny Woodhead 10.

So much for Ronnie Brown being done. And the interior of the DL was awful.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2013
          • Send PM

Yeah, the D sucked, which is sad because we all that they could be elite. They played like trash.

Comment

• thelightningwill
            Go Aztecs and Pads
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

It's my belief the nose tackle is the most important player on our defense. Without a good nose tackle, the ends, linebackers, and secondary suffer.

Some on here made me think, for a moment, the position wouldn't be used much by us. But, Monday, I noticed Thomas continuously being pushed far to his right, jacking up the rest of the defense a lot.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

It's my belief the nose tackle is the most important player on our defense. Without a good nose tackle, the ends, linebackers, and secondary suffer.

Some on here made me think, for a moment, the position wouldn't be used much by us. But, Monday, I noticed Thomas continuously being pushed far to his right, jacking up the rest of the defense a lot.
              Maybe it wont be used much going forward because he and his backup were just manhandled all game long.

As for Mathews: In all two-minute and third-down situations, Mathews came off the field.
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• TABF
                Por debajo del promedio
                • Jun 2013
                • SoCal
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Guy Lombardo View Post
                Yeah, the D sucked, which is sad because we all that they could be elite. They played like trash.
                I saw flashes of our D playing very well... They were plain and simple gassed by teh end of the 1st qtr. Houston was very very physical and they quickly wore our defense down.

Comment

• Den60
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                  Maybe it wont be used much going forward because he and his backup were just manhandled all game long.

As for Mathews: In all two-minute and third-down situations, Mathews came off the field.
                  Geathers was just brutal.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
                    I saw flashes of our D playing very well... They were plain and simple gassed by teh end of the 1st qtr. Houston was very very physical and they quickly wore our defense down.
                    That sounds like a training camp issue. Defense was gassed early. Mathews was gassed early. The entire team was gassed for the second half.
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2013
                      • Send PM

Sorry, I can't get over the 3rd and long conversions. I can find positives and forgive the other areas, like the 2nd half O, Rivers pick, the D getting gashed against the run and the bad call on Thomas. I simply cannot forgive or get over the 3rd and long pass defense. After last year, seeing this makes me so angry I want to go ballistic. We are so bad we are skewing the conversions statistics on 3rd downs for the league!! I want Pagano's ass fired.

Comment

• Den60
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                        That sounds like a training camp issue. Defense was gassed early. Mathews was gassed early. The entire team was gassed for the second half.
                        Well, they got a short week to get in shape.

Comment

Working...
                        X