• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    Yeah, right. He hasn't been extended by this team because even they have doubts. They need room, he has the biggest contract on the team and all they managed to do was concert salary to bonus so they could spread the hurt over the next three years rather than in this one. To me this is a big indicator that they know where to go to get cap room but it doesn't tell me this is a player they are convinced is worth keeping.
    He has to perform, just like any player in the league. But way to ignore the point - you think Manning would have thrived the past two years here with what Rivers had to play with? And do you not think Rivers play would not have been much better with Denver's talent?

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Yeah, right. He hasn't been extended by this team because even they have doubts. They need room, he has the biggest contract on the team and all they managed to do was concert salary to bonus so they could spread the hurt over the next three years rather than in this one. To me this is a big indicator that they know where to go to get cap room but it doesn't tell me this is a player they are convinced is worth keeping.
      Its the smart move. That they finally restructured shows they have more faith in hime then what they said last March
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
        BTW, lost in all of this. Pretty solid move on Rivers' part. Sure he got to see more money now but he didn't demand more years. Pretty cool on his part
        He gets $5M now rather than spread over the season. Not a hard call to make. I suppose that taxes could come into play since if he was cut after the season he'd prefer to have more money deferred to 2014.

Comment

• Den60
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Its the smart move. That they finally restructured shows they have more faith in hime then what they said last March

Don't see that. It didn't do anything but move cap money into the latter portion of his contract.

Comment

• Den60
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            He has to perform, just like any player in the league. But way to ignore the point - you think Manning would have thrived the past two years here with what Rivers had to play with? And do you not think Rivers play would not have been much better with Denver's talent?
            I can say that Rivers hasn't played well the last two years and have pointed out that not all of his errors during that time can be blamed on the imminent threat of a sack. I can't say if he would be as effective as Manning in Denver or whether Manning would have been as bad as Rivers here.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

He gets $5M now rather than spread over the season. Not a hard call to make. I suppose that taxes could come into play since if he was cut after the season he'd prefer to have more money deferred to 2014.
              Yes the team needed the money now. Money he was going to see no matter what. What did Rivers gain? Taxes? Really?

He stuck by his word and was willing to restructure. Without an extension.
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Don't see that. It didn't do anything but move cap money into the latter portion of his contract.
                Matters if you think Rivers is the QB in 2014

I do. So, with that it has always been the smart move
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

:chuckle: So first it was a bad indicator that they didnt ask him to restructure and now that he has, its still a bad sign. Got it!
                  They (TT and McCoy) must have also chose to come here because of the epic stadium and great weather and NOT Rivers.

Comment

• Den60
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Yes the team needed the money now. Money he was going to see no matter what. What did Rivers gain? Taxes? Really?

He stuck by his word and was willing to restructure. Without an extension.
                    What I am saying is that it does not show any more commitment to him than they did before changing the way the money is paid. I said Rivers gained really nothing in the deal other than he gets the money quicker. I only mention taxes because that would be something for him and his accountant to discuss to see if there was any benefit in deferring the money . I can say that from a small business standpoint you always seek to push as much of your taxes forward into a new year when you're profitable. Personally, I don't expect that it would be much of a difference one way or another but I don't know what Rivers portfolio looks like. But when it comes to it we are only talking about one paycheck that might be paid after the first anyway.

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                      :chuckle: So first it was a bad indicator that they didnt ask him to restructure and now that he has, its still a bad sign. Got it!
                      Were any years added to his contract?

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

What I am saying is that it does not show any more commitment to him than they did before changing the way the money is paid.
                        I wasn't talking about the team's commitment to him.

I was talking about Rivers and how he really is a team first guy. He didn't have to restructure.
                        BTW, lost in all of this. Pretty solid move on Rivers' part. Sure he got to see more money now but he didn't demand more years. Pretty cool on his part
                        And then you brought taxes into this. As though that was his reason
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                          Grammar Police
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Greedy old Riverd...
                          Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                          X