• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Does this restructure put us in a bad spot if let's say...he shits the bed for a 3rd straight year and we need to find a replacement?

Guess he can stay and mentor the new guy.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
      Does this restructure put us in a bad spot if let's say...he shits the bed for a 3rd straight year and we need to find a replacement?

Guess he can stay and mentor the new guy.
      We only added 3.3 mil to the next 2 seasons cap. No biggie. Just means we gotta keep finding quality UDFA's!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

So on increases the reasons to extend his contract in the next two years by 3.3 mil per year.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Den60
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
          Why extend him untill they see how he does in the new system??? Its the same agument i have with you predicting a worse record than last year dispite not a real game has been played yet.
          Why would the system matter if he is a franchise QB. Until this restructure he was the 5th highest paid (in terms of the cap) player in the league. Do you think he is the 5th best player in the league? I don't. He isn't even the 5th best QB in the league IMO. I'd put him in the 15th best QB range myself.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
            Why would the system matter if he is a franchise QB. Until this restructure he was the 5th highest paid (in terms of the cap) player in the league. Do you think he is the 5th best player in the league? I don't. He isn't even the 5th best QB in the league IMO. I'd put him in the 15th best QB range myself.
            "In terms of cap" isn't a fair measure. It was all base salary going forward.

Not something that can be simplified by such statements
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

He'd be 5th best (or better) if he had Denver's talent surrounding him. Conversely, if Manning had to play with the sub-standard talent that Rivers has had to, he might have retired by now...

But he doesn't, so he'll take his lumps from people who don't see the big picture.

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                If he plays well he will. Brees cap hit will be 26 mil in two years, over 17 mil this year and over 18 mil next year. Eli's cap hit is near 21 mil this year. Sam Bradfords cap hit in 2014 will be 17.6 mil and is over 15 mil this year and Matt Staffords cap hit is 17.8 mil this year.
                Rivers is still kinda cheap compared to some other QB's. QB's are expensive...even those that arent up to Rivers level.
                What level is Rivers? The highest I've heard him rated is #11. The worst is #19. I think he is in the middle portion of that range. That doesn't scream "elite" to me.

I have said that players don't often see the last year of their second contract. Often times they are let go even before the last year. Generally the latter years inflate the amounts to make the agent look good but the money isn't guaranteed.

Comment

• Den60
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                  I think they think that there is NO reason to make a decission on Rivers one way or the other yet, and if I get the cap, this doesnt make it esier to trade him next year.
                  We may not trade him. Did Indy trade Peyton?

Comment

• Den60
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    He'd be 5th best (or better) if he had Denver's talent surrounding him. Conversely, if Manning had to play with the sub-standard talent that Rivers has had to, he might have retired by now...

But he doesn't, so he'll take his lumps from people who don't see the big picture.
                    Speculation.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Speculation.
                      Common sense.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

BTW, lost in all of this. Pretty solid move on Rivers' part. Sure he got to see more money now but he didn't demand more years. Pretty cool on his part
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          Common sense.
                          Yeah, right. He hasn't been extended by this team because even they have doubts. They need room, he has the biggest contract on the team and all they managed to do was concert salary to bonus so they could spread the hurt over the next three years rather than in this one. To me this is a big indicator that they know where to go to get cap room but it doesn't tell me this is a player they are convinced is worth keeping.

Comment

Working...
                          X