Good player.

• Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

TWEET
    EMAIL

Unrestricted free agency opens in the NFL with the start of the new league year on March 9. With 22 players set to hit the open market, the Buffalo Bills have plenty of decisions to make between now and then. The Buffalo News will take a look at each player with an expiring contract, and offer a verdict on what the team should do. Next: Zach Brown.

Position: Wide receiver. Age: 24. 2016 stats: 13 games (10 starts), 51 catches, 613 yards, one touchdown.

Working in his favor: Woods has been a reliable No. 2 receiver since entering the NFL in 2013, catching at least 40 passes and topping 500 yards in every year. he's a willing blocker who is consistently applauded by coaches for his effort in the running game. At just 24 years old, there is reason to believe the best in Woods' professional career is still to come. The Bills know him better than any other player.
    Working against him: Woods has never shown he's capable of carrying an offense as a No. 1 receiver. He's played in 16 games just once in his career, and dealt with several injuries in 2016. While he's been the No. 2 receiver in Buffalo, a case could be made he'd be better as a No. 3 on a good offense. That's important for the Bills when factoring in what kind of contract offer they should make.

Verdict: Players like Woods made big-time money in free agency. It's all but certain he'll get at least $8 million per year, which figures to put the Bills in a tough spot. While they would certainly like to retain a player they've drafted and developed, they simply don't have the cap space to make him that type of offer. Woods figures to find a big offer elsewhere, and the Bills might be forced to look to the draft for his replacement.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• CTrout
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

8 mill for a #3 WR. Uhhhh...pass
      How bout a OT or OG??

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Its such a deep draft at WR id rather just draft one. Safety, WR, Edge and TE are all very deep. Id spend money on OL and draft these positions. Maybe even RB.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Makes Ingram's contract look cheap.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Ugh.
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Maverick
              (Coryellian)
              • Jun 2013
              • Point Loma
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
              Its such a deep draft at WR id rather just draft one. Safety, WR, Edge and TE are all very deep. Id spend money on OL and draft these positions. Maybe even RB.
              Mike Williams!

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
                8 mill for a #3 WR. Uhhhh...pass
                How bout a OT or OG??
                not only that, but: "Working against him: Woods has never shown he's capable of carrying an offense as a No. 1 receiver. He's played in 16 games just once in his career, and dealt with several injuries in 2016."

So we'd probably rarely have him and healthy Allen on the field together.
                Last edited by SDFan; 03-08-2017, 08:54 AM. Reason: forgot Allen
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• chargerkdb
                  Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                  not only that, but: "Working against him: Woods has never shown he's capable of carrying an offense as a No. 1 receiver. He's played in 16 games just once in his career, and dealt with several injuries in 2016."

So we'd probably rarely have him and healthy on the field together.
                  Well, the trainers tables not going to ride itself. Someone needs to sign for big money and stand on sidelines. Not really fair to let same guys do it every year, need new blood

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

I don't know who thinks he is going to get $8 mill per year. He isn't going to get that from anyone. He will get a contract over $8 million, but it will be for multiple seasons, and probably little bonus money. And I don't think we are going to be the team to give it to him.

Woods is the kinda player we would go out and get if we lost a couple of other players to injury and FA and realize after the first minicamp how thin we really are after the other guys go down. He is not a first choice, because he is not that great a player.

We get Allen back, have Williams and Benjamin as deep threats. Inman is turning into a great depth and possession guy, and he is a steal at $600k. We don't need to go out and get a big money FA to crowd the roster. We have plenty of our own decent but only OK guys who already have some chemistry with Rivers.

If we are going for a WR, I think it would be a Mike Williams type in the draft. I keep playing some of the 1st round scenarios in my head and it keeps coming up with him being the best player avaiable. I think a player like him would be an excellent compliment to Williams and Benjamin. Big, physical and really goes after the ball.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Solomon, Adams, Hooker all gone before 7? Very possible. That would easily put Williams in the mix.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Thomas was never going to drop to us. If he had a really, really shitty combine, then maybe. But all he had to do was finish a bunch of drills and he was going top 5.

Only thing that gets guys on the list out of the top 7 and fall to us is if one or more of the QB can cause them to drop. I just don't see that happening at the top. Maybe right behind us, but not to help us.

Hooker is the only one on that list I am not completely sold on, and that is the injuries not his play.

Comment

Working...
                        X