• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Attack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2017
    • Send PM

QB of future

Being a proponent of a big, strong-armed, in-the-pocket QB with good pocket presence, but not necessarily needing scrambling abilities, my preference would be to have a QB like Rivers than one like Dak Prescott. I'm not yet convinced that Prescott is the real deal after one yr. A QB like Rodgers would be the ideal.

That being said, according to nfldraftscout, below are the top ranked QBs over the next several years:

Trubisky UNC
    Kizer Notre Dame
    Watson Clemson
    Mahomes TX Tech
    Kaaya Miami
    Peterman Pitt
    Webb Cal

Rudolph OK St
    Falk Wash St
    Mayfield OK
    Browne Pitt
    Flowers South FL
    Linehan Idaho
    White Western KY

Jackson Louisville
    Rosen UCLA
    Allen Wyoming
    Speight Michigan
    Fitzgerald Miss St
    Rypien Boise St
    Browning Wash

Darnold USC
    Francois FSU
    Buechele TX
    Eason UGA
    Hurts Bama
    Jones Duke
    Patterson Ole Miss

Darnold seems to be the prototypical NFL QB, and most teams will be gunning for him, whenever he decides to make the leap. Rudolph seems to be another one with good pro potential. And Eason just completed his freshman yr and has a few more years to get more experience. I wouldn't mind seeing Telesco take a flyer on Webb this year if available in the 4th round (or maybe 3rd).

In order to get a top QB in the next few years, like a Darnold or Rudolph, it will take being in the top 5. If the Chargers play to their potential, this team won't see a top 10 pick. How deep is the QB crop over the next few years? It seems like Telesco will have to dig deep to draft a top ranked QB. Are there any QBs that are missing in the above list? Thoughts looking ahead for the future QB?
  • Classic
    Hall Of Fame
    • Dec 2014
    • Send PM

Francois looks like better version of Winston and Eason is too tall to be that accurate. I wouldn't worry about a QB after Rivers as it's almost always a difficult to win right away with a rookie QB and it's a distraction for the current team.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

The Chagras already have their QB of the future under contract: Mike Bercovici. Undersized guy that passed a lot in college- he's their Drew Bress do-over, except they didn't have to give up a 2nd round pick for him.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• foreigner
        Tom Telesco is gone
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
        The Chagras already have their QB of the future under contract: Mike Bercovici. Undersized guy that passed a lot in college- he's their Drew Bress do-over, except they didn't have to give up a 2nd round pick for him.
        The hot chick guy? you think so? Nah....

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post
          Being a proponent of a big, strong-armed, in-the-pocket QB with good pocket presence, but not necessarily needing scrambling abilities, my preference would be to have a QB like Rivers than one like Dak Prescott. I'm not yet convinced that Prescott is the real deal after one yr. A QB like Rodgers would be the ideal.

That being said, according to nfldraftscout, below are the top ranked QBs over the next several years:

Trubisky UNC
          Kizer Notre Dame
          Watson Clemson
          Mahomes TX Tech
          Kaaya Miami
          Peterman Pitt
          Webb Cal

Rudolph OK St
          Falk Wash St
          Mayfield OK
          Browne Pitt
          Flowers South FL
          Linehan Idaho
          White Western KY

Jackson Louisville
          Rosen UCLA
          Allen Wyoming
          Speight Michigan
          Fitzgerald Miss St
          Rypien Boise St
          Browning Wash

Darnold USC
          Francois FSU
          Buechele TX
          Eason UGA
          Hurts Bama
          Jones Duke
          Patterson Ole Miss

Darnold seems to be the prototypical NFL QB, and most teams will be gunning for him, whenever he decides to make the leap. Rudolph seems to be another one with good pro potential. And Eason just completed his freshman yr and has a few more years to get more experience. I wouldn't mind seeing Telesco take a flyer on Webb this year if available in the 4th round (or maybe 3rd).

In order to get a top QB in the next few years, like a Darnold or Rudolph, it will take being in the top 5. If the Chargers play to their potential, this team won't see a top 10 pick. How deep is the QB crop over the next few years? It seems like Telesco will have to dig deep to draft a top ranked QB. Are there any QBs that are missing in the above list? Thoughts looking ahead for the future QB?
          Cant say i agree. Id like to have a Prescott type who can scramble and not be a sitting duck like Rivers, though it has worked well for Brady. We just cant seem to get a good OL together. And theres nothing to say that Prescott cant be a Rodgers type. I dont think he will AS good as Rodgers though but he dont have to be having the best OL in the league.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

I got a chuckle from that.

Comment

• Rugger05
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

As an ASU season ticket holder I wouldn't say that Berco passed a lot. He didn't start until his senior year, but did play some when Taylor Kelly went down due to injury

Comment

• MakoShark
                Disgruntled
                • Jun 2013
                • North Alabama
                • Send PM

No love for Chad Kelly in that list??
                sigpic

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                  Fluent in Sarcasm
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Iowa
                  • Man of the People
                  • Send PM

Having a QB with good pocket presence doesn't mean you need an immobile QB like Rivers. Luckily most QBs now are athletic enough that they aren't a statue in the pocket like Rivers, and that helps the OL in pass protection too. Rivers still has enough tread on the tires that I'm not worried about drafting his replacement this year, plus the talent isn't really there in this draft. Next year or the following year will be the best time to look to the future, but which draft will just be based on who declares. I'm a big fan of drafting a QB and letting them develop on the bench though, but with the franchise in LA (and the competency of ownership) I doubt they are willing to do that with a higher draft pick.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                    No love for Chad Kelly in that list??
                    Not from me

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                      Having a QB with good pocket presence doesn't mean you need an immobile QB like Rivers. Luckily most QBs now are athletic enough that they aren't a statue in the pocket like Rivers, and that helps the OL in pass protection too. Rivers still has enough tread on the tires that I'm not worried about drafting his replacement this year, plus the talent isn't really there in this draft. Next year or the following year will be the best time to look to the future, but which draft will just be based on who declares. I'm a big fan of drafting a QB and letting them develop on the bench though, but with the franchise in LA (and the competency of ownership) I doubt they are willing to do that with a higher draft pick.
                      I agree. Shouldn't be this year. Next year at the earliest and that should depend of the feeling they get from Rivers if he plans to play out his deal or not.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                        Fluent in Sarcasm
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Iowa
                        • Man of the People
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                        I agree. Shouldn't be this year. Next year at the earliest and that should depend of the feeling they get from Rivers if he plans to play out his deal or not.
                        My sentiments exactly. I hope they can get Rivers' replacement at least a full season behind him. Rivers is probably the most cerebral QB in the league now and if he would be a great example to learn from.

Comment

Working...
                        X