Chiefs at Chargers (+8.5) Pregame Discussion (Wk 4)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • captaind
    Cook This Pork Chops
    • Jun 2013
    • Balcony
    • Senile Agitator
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    It’s just really hard to see a path to victory this week. Too many of our best players out. We might be the worst offense in football right now. We’ll probably need a Minter Miracle to get a win.
    Dungeon Master says, “When things are at their worst, things will be at their best.”

We’re gonna pull this off. How, I have no idea. But I have foreseen it.

Comment

• rensoul
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

semi-exposed.
      The edge depth didn't show up
      Coverage on 3rd down wasn't there
      can't tell if this was a Minter-problem or simply not good enough talent.
      The D also got tired from giving it up through the air on 3rd as well as a late-game abandonment of the run by the offense.
      WTS the D didn't give up more than 10 points before the offense fell apart, the other 10 points came when the game was well in hand for Pittsburgh.

injuries
      penalties
      3rd down D
      Foheko

in that order for me.
      The Edge depth was there it just is what it is, adequate. Tuli/Dupree are average players at their positions at this point. Bosa is arguably top 10 at his position and at his best possibly even higher.

The difference with him out, is the Edge depth and interior players are not good enough to get consistent pressure on their own by bringing just 4. So blitzing extra guys leaves the coverage vulnerable.

It's a similar effect that the Raiders just experienced with Crosby playing hurt against Carolina, their D looked terrible with him not at his best or Chicago's D last year before they traded for Sweat.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

Dungeon Master says, “When things are at their worst, things will be at their best.”

We’re gonna pull this off. How, I have no idea. But I have foreseen it.
        I think if defense or STs can get a score...it will be interesting. Chiefs haven't looked invincible either.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• rensoul
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2023
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I think if defense or STs can get a score...it will be interesting. Chiefs haven't looked invincible either.
          It seems like Mahomes throws 2-3 risky passes that could be picked off more often than not when he plays.
          The Chargers have a decent chance if they can catch a couple of those.

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

The Edge depth was there it just is what it is, adequate. Tuli/Dupree are average players at their positions at this point. Bosa is arguably top 10 at his position and at his best possibly even higher.

The difference with him out, is the Edge depth and interior players are not good enough to get consistent pressure on their own by bringing just 4. So blitzing extra guys leaves the coverage vulnerable.

It's a similar effect that the Raiders just experienced with Crosby playing hurt against Carolina, their D looked terrible with him not at his best or Chicago's D last year before they traded for Sweat.
            we dont have to have a great DL with great edge rushers...I love the way KC generates pressure with one great interior DL.......and they blitz like crazy, but from all over so offense never knows where its coming from.... and when they blitz they usually get there... sometimes Chargers blitz and no one gets there or they take bad angles.....

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

2 days after this L and I see positivity taking hold here at TPB, LFG!!
              I hope Jim and company are positive too and working their asses off on a gameplan that will shock the world along with a few Charger fans.
              With Herbo, we can fucking do this!
              And give KC something to think about the weeks leading.up to our game IN KC when everyone is healihy.
              With a healthy enough Herbo, any game is winnable.
              ​​Don't EVER EVER EVER GIVE UP GOD DAMMIT
              WE WILL NOT BOW TO KC
              Darius "4.36" Davis
              top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP Magic Number 1

Comment

• rensoul
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2023
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

we dont have to have a great DL with great edge rushers...I love the way KC generates pressure with one great interior DL.......and they blitz like crazy, but from all over so offense never knows where its coming from.... and when they blitz they usually get there... sometimes Chargers blitz and no one gets there or they take bad angles.....
                Karlaftis is actually a pretty good Edge rusher. Chris Jones with Aaron Donald now retired, is basically a 1 of 1 player, he's the best at his position in the league. So he's often going to be doubled or he's going to beat his one on one.

And it's easier to blitz a lot with an All Pro CB back there to lock up one side, they were able to lock up more than that when they had Sneed so they could man up and blitz extra guys.

It's not a very good comparison, a team can do a lot of things other teams can't if you have a Chris Jones or Aaron Donald with an All Pro CB behind them like McDuffie/Ramsey.

I would think it's actually harder to find a Chris Jones/Aaron Donald or the next JJ Watt than it is to find good edge rushers.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Rapoport: Is it worth it to play Herbert v the Chiefs? "I would wonder about that."

Los Angeles Chargers Update | Derwin James Suspension, Justin Herbert and Joe Alt Injuries

Comment

• rensoul
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    Rapoport: Is it worth it to play Herbert v the Chiefs? "I would wonder about that."

Los Angeles Chargers Update | Derwin James Suspension, Justin Herbert and Joe Alt Injuries
                    No it's not. The injury probably won't heal without rest and he'll be a sitting duck without the OT's.

The team could be at worst 2-2 with 3 weeks of rest for him and the OT's.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

lookin pretty grim - no Herbert, Slater, or Alt, plus our SS on the defense. Maybe start Stick because he's pretty good at running. I don't think we can expect a running game to work with both starting OT's out. I fear we have no chance in this game. Rest and rehab the injured and get ready for the game after the bye.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• rensoul
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2023
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        lookin pretty grim - no Herbert, Slater, or Alt, plus our SS on the defense. Maybe start Stick because he's pretty good at running. I don't think we can expect a running game to work with both starting OT's out. I fear we have no chance in this game. Rest and rehab the injured and get ready for the game after the bye.
                        Heinicke gives the team a way better shot to compete than Stick imo.. Heinicke is a scrappy player and I've seen him win some ugly games before.
                        The defense is down Derwin/Bosa, not good but not insurmountable on that side of the ball.

The OT's being out is a big deal, I don't see the team winning without some turnovers/ST play but Heinicke at least gives them a punchers chance.

Comment

• Factotum
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2024
                          • Send PM

I suspect that if Jim Harbaugh could go back to middle of this past week, he would have sat Herbert down but hindsight is always 20-20 and a HC who makes the ultimate decision must also have trust in his star QB's say in addition to the team's physician's advice but I now strongly suspect that Herbert has dramatically drawn down on that kind of wherewithal! In short, I don't expect Herbert to play based on Herbert's own say. I do however understand as to why Harbaugh took such a huge risk because to have played it safer (again the 20-20 hindsight factor) may have sent the wrong message to his Team.

The Pitts game was so close until that crucial pivotal moment at the start of the 3rd which quite honestly with a few more fortunate bounces going in the Chargers way, injuries notwithstanding, could have been the opposite of what happened to the Chargers; we could have been looking at a decimated Steelers at 2-1. Someone had mentioned and had asked why the Steelers had their s**t together despite reserves playing as tackles? It is quite simple really, their D started to beat up on our O as they were the better conditioned, healthier and stacked unit. Our D suffered as soon as Bosa was out and then the guys just wore out in a great trenches warfare which unfortunately resulted in Chargers suffering the casualties of that war in a lopsided way.

In this football universe which that KC unit will be facing this compromised Charges unit will win 9 out of 10 games in any combination and permutation but there is always that 1 in 10 chance for us, despite the NFL and the refs favoring over KC in questionable situations. Amusingly, I will use a movie metaphor known as "the annexation of Puerto Rico". Ha!

Comment

Working...
                          X