• Jun 2013
    • Send PM

ST Coach - George Stewart

• Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

From pft:

Alex Marvez of Sporting News reports that the Chargers have chosen George Stewart to head up that area of the team.

The move to special teams represents a change in portfolio for Stewart, who has spent the last decade coaching wide receivers with the Vikings. Stewart did open his NFL coaching career as a special teams coach on Chuck Noll’s final staffs with the Steelers and then had the same role with the Buccaneers before moving on to work with wideouts.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Seems to be a 'reach', even though he had experience with Special Teams a long, long, time ago.

Comment

• Rugger05
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Could special teams be any less special then last year???????

Comment

• Heatmiser
          BetterToday ThanYesterday
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

More on Stewart. He has more ST coaching experience than the first couple reports stated. Also, Lynn has a personal history with him. Lynn (according to what I read, not actually remember seeing when he played) was a pretty good special teams player during his short NFL career. Apparently, he remembered and liked what he learned under Stewart in SF.

TG

It’s another shakeup for the Vikings offensive staff under head coach Mike Zimmer, who has hired two new assistants and promoted Pat Shurmur

By Andrew Krammer

January 30, 2017 — 8:25am

The Vikings will need to hire another assistant on offense as receivers coach George Stewart has reportedly accepted a new job with the Chargers after 10 seasons in Minnesota.

Stewart will be the Chargers new special teams coordinator under head coach Anthony Lynn, according to Sporting News. Stewart coached Lynn during his first season in San Francisco in 1996. Stewart got his NFL start as a special teams coach, leading units in Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and San Francisco before coaching 49ers receivers in the early 2000s, including Terrell Owens.

Stewart has coached receivers ever since, joining the Vikings in 2007. During his tenure in Minnesota, three receivers made the Pro Bowl in Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice and Cordarrelle Patterson. Their two leading receivers last season were Adam Thielen, an undrafted free agent, and Stefon Diggs, a fifth-round pick. Stewart was the second-longest tenured Vikings assistant coach behind Kevin Stefanski, who has moved to quarterbacks coach.

It’s another shakeup for the Vikings offensive staff under head coach Mike Zimmer, who chose to part ways with former quarterbacks coach Scott Turner this month, promote Pat Shurmur to full-time offensive coordinator and hire two new assistants in Clancy Barone (TEs) and Kennedy Polamalu (RBs).

The Vikings got just one catch from rookie first-round pick Laquon Treadwell, who dealt with injuries that stunted his development in the second half of the season.
          Last edited by Heatmiser; 01-30-2017, 10:55 AM.
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• homeless simpson
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Wouldn't it make more sense to have him as the WRs coach? Since the one we currently have, while not as bad as the ex St coach, isn't all that great

Comment

• Heatmiser
              BetterToday ThanYesterday
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

This gives us THREE WR coaches! The current guy, Fred Graves (who is still on the staff, just moved to special advisor or something last year), and now Stewart. Lynn is hoarding WR coaches. Plus we have a TE coach and a TE coach coaching RB, so building that pool, too.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• CTrout
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

30 years coaching in the NFL...guess he's doing something right.
                I can't imagine how our STs could be any worse. I'm sure he'll be an improvement.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
                  30 years coaching in the NFL...guess he's doing something right.
                  I can't imagine how our STs could be any worse. I'm sure he'll be an improvement.
                  He will be. We had the worst ST I can ever remember seeing - and we have had some bad units.

Comment

Working...
                  X