• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

Keep the Chargers Brand in San Diego and force Dean Spanos to change team name

• Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

I was the 5th signature on that petition.
    More to come...
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

While I would totally love it for them to change their name, he's already said it's not happening. From all reports he is a spiteful person, so being "stung" by fan criticism likely means he'll keep the name and switch to powder blues full time.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Spiteful? Noooooo..
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• OhioBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Cleveland kept team name and colors when they moved to Baltimore they became the Ravens.

What chance do you think San Diego gets team back?

How does the LA Chrrggrs survive two seasons playing in Carson where the seating capacity is only 30,000? How does LA support two teams?

Took Cleveland 4 years? Somewhere in between those woeful years of LA Chrrgrs Rodger Goodell gets a team back in San Diego.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Differences between that Cleveland situation and the San Diego one:

1. Browns consistently sold out the stadium, even when they were crappy. And those were Browns fans in the seats. Chargers attendance?
            2. Browns ownership did not even give the City a chance to talk about keeping the team. No negotiation. Zip. Chargers had 12 years of talks.
            3. Cleveland fans, residents, the city, all wanted a football team. They would have done a lot to keep the Browns. They did a lot to get the 'new' Browns. Seems like a lot of people in San Diego don't care (present company excluded).
            4. Cleveland was willing to build a brand new stadium, which they did. If San Diego would not/could not do it for their existing team, we should expect it to happen for a new team (which will want even more, not less, concessions from the city)?
            5. Cleveland sued Art Modell for the browns name, colors, history, statistics, everything. And because of 1-4 above, Art Model lost and the NFL felt pretty bad and restored football to Cleveland.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• TTK
              EX-Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • America's Finest City
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

1. Browns consistently sold out the stadium, even when they were crappy. And those were Browns fans in the seats. Chargers attendance?
              2. Browns ownership did not even give the City a chance to talk about keeping the team. No negotiation. Zip. Chargers had 12 years of talks.
              3. Cleveland fans, residents, the city, all wanted a football team. They would have done a lot to keep the Browns. They did a lot to get the 'new' Browns. Seems like a lot of people in San Diego don't care (present company excluded).
              4. Cleveland was willing to build a brand new stadium, which they did. If San Diego would not/could not do it for their existing team, we should expect it to happen for a new team (which will want even more, not less, concessions from the city)?
              5. Cleveland sued Art Modell for the browns name, colors, history, statistics, everything. And because of 1-4 above, Art Model lost and the NFL felt pretty bad and restored football to Cleveland.

TG
              The NFL knows Deano's efforts here were a farce, for at least the last few years anyway. If they really covet the SD market, they'll make it happen. Greed will win out over common sense in the end though.

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

TG
                Out of the 12 years of talks, Team Spanos probably logged a grand total of 8 hours max. More time was spent by Fibs playing spin doctor - maybe that's what they mean by "12 years of talks".

Comment

• vinabolt
                  Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                  • Feb 2015
                  • Send PM

TG
                  Great takes. Some really accurate points here. It's totally different situations and eras. Cleveland has the support and they're 1. The Browns is Cleveland. They're 1. The Browns, whatever the owners, have the support of the majority fanbase, the citizens, the politicians, the city leaders, the public. There are more other teams' fan in SD than Chargers fan. Heck, there are probably even more Raiders fan in SD more than Chargers fan. Other teams fans conquered Qualcomm in most games. The empty seats, etc.. And the Chargers were born in LA.

It's a dumb, unrealistic, desperate wishful thinking and selfish petition and basically get laughed at.

It's basically to kill of the Chargers and say if we can't have it, you can't too. It basically saying FU we're going to sabotage this to Chargers fans, especially those who are outside of SD.

And who the hell will read letters from change.com? The Chargers? Spanos? Goodell? NFL? SD local government, politicians? Lol. If each person write their own letter and sent it would be a bit more effective. But SD fans, man, they can't get anything done. SD people tends to wait for others to do big things for them, that's why stadium solution never works and after this fiasco I don't think any businessman would want to bring their team to SD. It's a very weak market and weak support. It's not a sport city, let a lone a football city.

That's why this petition and the Raiders to SD talks are basically some bad jokes. I laughed so hard at the Raiders to SD thing that I couldn't even type anything there. You couldn't in 12 years and now suddenly you can have a stadium for the Raiders to go there? Lol. And the Davis why would them choose that SD market over other cities? It's a town for vacation, not a sport town. That's why he won't even considered it. And it's not even realistic or doable.
                  Last edited by vinabolt; 01-17-2017, 10:44 AM.
                  Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I really hope the city somehow keeps the name, colors, and history in SD.

Comment

• sandiego17
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I wasn't on board with rebranding before the move was official and not sure I am now. But if they do re-brand, I will have at least one reason to be happy about it. The 'selfish' narrative is stupid beyond words.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                        I wasn't on board with rebranding before the move was official and not sure I am now. But if they do re-brand, I will have at least one reason to be happy about it. The 'selfish' narrative is stupid beyond words.
                        No shit, a real stupid take to call San Diegans selfish.

Comment

Working...
                        X