• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinabolt
    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
    • Feb 2015
    • Send PM

Players coach, former players turn coaching is the current hot trend in the NBA. Championship teams, too. I'm not sure it will work in the NFL. But the more I read about Lynn and what he said, the way he talks, ect., he's growing on me a bit. He seems to be a charismatic leader and probably a guy who I want to go to war with.

"Leader" is kind of a general concept nowadays and can be interpret in different ways, but he has some of the things that I like. Funny guy. Cussing a lot. Extremely aggressive. Not a "nice guy" at all. He's not a jerk by any mean but he's not Mike Riley, Norv or McCoy. He will get to a player's face. Cool guy. Talks and do things like current players, so he relates well to them. Fan of Martyball and attacking/aggressive Wade Phillips style of defense. He's better than Marty in term of X&O of the running game and the run blocking and ways to use RBs on screens and short passing situations. What he lacks is the X&O part of the passing game. That's why he's cool to retain Whiz. He needs Whiz to help him on the passing game.

He has a very deceptive experience due to the image that he's only be the coordinator this year. But this guy is a football guy since a kid and cannot have a season without football. He's like Belichick, Rivers, Brady in that without football he doesn't know what to do. So after retired from playing football he jumped immediately into coaching. He coached NFL players for 16 years, but only has 1 season of directly involve with X&O of the whole offense, so he's a true players coach and not a schemer, strategician, tactician by any mean.

A very out-of-the-box hire. He's unique in that he has no systems and doesn't come from any coaching tree. He worked under some good coaches in the same amount of time, spent times with different systems.

His running game knowledge mostly came from DEN and Shannahan. Which is probably a good thing since they had a dominant running game during those years. After the NFL banned the cut block, Shannahan sucked in DEN but Shanahan Jr. offenses seems to run the ball well. Lynn's BUF offense also ran the ball really well, actually near the top in league that include the likes of Zeke, Murray, Freeman/Coleman, Gordon, David Johnson, Bell, etc.. So, I'm still skeptical because of their recent failure in picking head coach but I do feel warmer now more than a few days ago.
    Last edited by vinabolt; 01-13-2017, 08:58 PM.
    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
      Hey, they're doing that too!
      All politicians do that - did you hear Faulconer yesterday?

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        All politicians do that - did you hear Faulconer yesterday?
        The presser or the state of the city? I listened to the former, didn't bother following the latter I figured it would be more of the same. My takeaway from that is this was a setup to position the Qualcomm site over to the SDSU plan. I'm disgusted by both sides. San Diego doesn't have to play second fiddle to any city when it comes to corruption.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          Pags should be packing.
          Time to pack this Pags
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Listened to the interview on the Charger website. Never really heard of this guy before, but my initial impression was pretty positive.

Comment

• SteveInCbad
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Bigger question is do we even care who the head coach is after yesterday's news.

I'm not sure if I can root for this team, against this team or just flat out won't care what happens to this team

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SteveInCbad View Post
                Bigger question is do we even care who the head coach is after yesterday's news.

I'm not sure if I can root for this team, against this team or just flat out won't care what happens to this team
                There are some that do care, even if just to watch it like a horror show, or maybe a business case study.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

This might be the best way to be a Charger fan for me. If we win i can feel good for the players. If we lose it wont hurt so bad and i can feel good its happening to the owners. So either way its a win. Them moving to LA may be what it takes for it not too hurt so bad when they lose. And they will never win a Championship with Spanos. So i get to just be a basic fan who no longer has to experience the pain of losing.

Comment

• boldarblood
                    Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SteveInCbad View Post

I defintely still care.

I have put way to much time into this team, 40 years of being a fan. I am invested in the players and the history. I can't just throw that away. I can not honestly allow myself to be a fan of another team.

So I am left with 2 choices. Either stop watching the NFL, which I can't bring myself to. I still love watching football. I still love watching Rivers, Gordon, Gates, etc. So my other choice is to continue to follow the team.

So the Chargers are still my team.

I follow the team, not the owner. The team has no choice in this. I am not going to allow an owner to have control of my ability to be a fan. Long ago I realized NFL on the whole doesn't care about the individual fan. There are no great owners, they are all greedy. Most of them have used public money, or some other shitty thing. It was very freeing.

It allows me to still be a Chargers fan. So I still do care. At the same point, I get why others are not. We all have to make our own choice. I just hope the ones that are hurt will still allow us fans to have a place to talk about our team. But I get it. It sucks.
                    Last edited by boldarblood; 01-14-2017, 01:34 AM.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I disagree in part, good owners win more than others
                      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by boldarblood View Post
                        I defintely still care.

I have put way to much time into this team, 40 years of being a fan. I am invested in the players and the history. I can't just throw that away. I can not honestly allow myself to be a fan of another team.

So I am left with 2 choices. Either stop watching the NFL, which I can't bring myself to. I still love watching football. I still love watching Rivers, Gordon, Gates, etc. So my other choice is to continue to follow the team.

So the Chargers are still my team.

I follow the team, not the owner. The team has no choice in this. I am not going to allow an owner to have control of my ability to be a fan. Long ago I realized NFL on the whole doesn't care about the individual fan. There are no great owners, they are all greedy. Most of them have used public money, or some other shitty thing. It was very freeing.

It allows me to still be a Chargers fan. So I still do care. At the same point, I get why others are not. We all have to make our own choice. I just hope the ones that are hurt will still allow us fans to have a place to talk about our team. But I get it. It sucks.

edit: This article explains to me a lot. Its kinda how I feel about what NFL thinks of fans on the whole.
                        Well put.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                          So, back to Anthony Lynn. Will anyone be offended if I hang the nickname "Chocolate Milquetoast" on him?
                          Yes
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X