• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    JH3 and Me
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Maybe disparaginhg Nabers as a player is a little strong but some here acting like he would have been a silly pick for the Chargers and we cant use or dont need Nabers because we want to run the ball lol. Every team in the NFL can use an exceptional player like Malik Nabers.

BTW by all reports Fuaga is playing great in NO, you can get a good tackle with the 14 pick. If you want a Nabers or Harrison, you have to act on the rare occasion you are drafting in top 8 picks. Personally I am just not going to buy in on the notion, that because Harbaugh wants to run the ball effectively we should never have a top level WR1 for Justin Herbert to throw to and make game winning plays with.
    I agree Nabers is a special receiver, I wanted him if they picked WR. But I was fine with the Alt pick and am not coming back to coulda woulda shoulda everyone now. I just note we would not have had the #14 pick if we took Nabers so your counter-argument is sorta blown to shit. you describe an alternate scenario that could not occur.

Elite OTs are more highly valued than WRs, because they are equally important and elite OTs are more rare. you're wrong imo to say an elite OT is not worth 5, teams take the best OT in the 5-area every year without fail. They sprint to the podium to take them. Teams get great receivers in the 10's and 20's every year as well, also in Rd 2, Rd 3 etc. great OTs in Round 3 and on are unicorns.

I do 100% agree with you that the league is BOTH trenchers and playmakers and opinions that we don't need playmakers are ill-considered (to be polite). Great teams need both.

2024 Chargers rebuild was based on a high draft pick and a massive Cap hole in the roster. They were very limited. They DID trade up to early 2nd rd to grab imo the best remaining WR after those first Big 3 were all gone early. They otherwise executed a strategy to build from the inside out - anyone watching 2023 Chargers saw massive ternch weaknesses all game every game. It made sense and still does.

I'd be more critical of the lack of improvement from LG-C-RG, personally. that is where the offense is getting beat the most, preventing ANY WR from having an impact.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Surprised to see a few people defending Derwin and saying the hit doesnt deserve a suspension. Clearly missing the main point. Derwin is a repeat offender of this type of hit over and over again. That is the reason why he earned this suspension. Previous warnings dont seem to register with him. Maybe missing a game will.
      I want Derwin to succeed. I keep waiting for him to play to a level that makes me say, damn, he is worth every penny of his highest-paid contract. But it hasn't happened. He's not an embarrassment, but IMO he's about average. He has defenders on this board, they see it differently. That is their prerogative. But nobody has been able to give examples of what Derwin does to justify his contract.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

What did Minter say exactly? And what has Derwin accomplished besides giving up TDs to Travis Kelce, getting flagged repeatedly for personal foul penalties and now getting suspended?
        Go find the videos. Now you just talking nonsense reverting to an old defense. Who was good in that defense? Mack...only one and his job didnt change. Go after the QB and play the run.

It dont matter if Derwin plays great for 5 games, you wont say a thing...if he gets penalised for a hit or whatever in the next, it will take all that away in your eyes. So does it really matter what Minter has said?

You wont hear it anyway. You know what he has said. You know what Harbaugh as said.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Go find the videos. Now you just talking nonsense reverting to an old defense. Who was good in that defense? Mack...only one and his job didnt change. Go after the QB and play the run.
          You're entitled to your point of view and I respect it. I just don't share it. I'm still waiting though for someone to explain exactly what it is that Derwin does so well that justifies his elite salary.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Surprised to see a few people defending Derwin and saying the hit doesnt deserve a suspension. Clearly missing the main point. Derwin is a repeat offender of this type of hit over and over again. That is the reason why he earned this suspension. Previous warnings dont seem to register with him. Maybe missing a game will.
            But it wasnt the same hit. he 2 others were more a defensless reciver type. This one was a running TE. He was a runner at that point. He took 4 steps tucked th ball away. Never seen a RB and defender lower both heads and defender get called for it. The other 2 or 3 in prior years id agree with those. But it sure irks me that a 300 lb DL hits a 170 lb WR in the head while being held up by other defenders , hits him in the head and his helmets flys off and he doesnt even get flagged.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

You're entitled to your point of view and I respect it. I just don't share it. I'm still waiting though for someone to explain exactly what it is that Derwin does so well that justifies his elite salary.
              Again go find the videos of Minter. They have watched every snap even in Staleys shit defense. Our QB isnt exactly lighting it up lately either and other QB that make more arent as well. Its just the market. Dont hate the player, hate the system/payscale and GF that paid him. He was a stud under Gus. Been steady this year but had the mistakes this week....and thats all you remember.

Its like this forum. Not quite as busy when we win but boy when we lose, its loaded up and everybody has something to say.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Again go find the videos of Minter. They have watched every snap even in Staleys shit defense. Our QB isnt exactly lighting it up lately either and other QB that make more arent as well. Its just the market. Dont hate the player, hate the system/payscale and GF that paid him. He was a stud under Gus. Been steady this year but had the mistakes this week....and thats all you remember.

Its like this forum. Not quite as busy when we win but boy when we lose, its loaded up and everybody has something to say.
                Again, no specifics on Derwin's play to justify his salary. It surprises me you're willing to throw Herbert under the bus in order to defend Derwin.

Comment

• rensoul
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2023
                  • Send PM

My hopes for Derwin is a fundamentally sound slightly above average safety that doesn't make stupid penalties.

That's not really worth 19 mil a year but for a contract worth what he signed for, he would need to play like Kyle Hamilton to live up to the contract.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I agree Nabers is a special receiver, I wanted him if they picked WR. But I was fine with the Alt pick and am not coming back to coulda woulda shoulda everyone now. I just note we would not have had the #14 pick if we took Nabers so your counter-argument is sorta blown to shit. you describe an alternate scenario that could not occur.

Elite OTs are more highly valued than WRs, because they are equally important and elite OTs are more rare. you're wrong imo to say an elite OT is not worth 5, teams take the best OT in the 5-area every year without fail. They sprint to the podium to take them. Teams get great receivers in the 10's and 20's every year as well, also in Rd 2, Rd 3 etc. great OTs in Round 3 and on are unicorns.

I do 100% agree with you that the league is BOTH trenchers and playmakers and opinions that we don't need playmakers are ill-considered (to be polite). Great teams need both.

2024 Chargers rebuild was based on a high draft pick and a massive Cap hole in the roster. They were very limited. They DID trade up to early 2nd rd to grab imo the best remaining WR after those first Big 3 were all gone early. They otherwise executed a strategy to build from the inside out - anyone watching 2023 Chargers saw massive ternch weaknesses all game every game. It made sense and still does.

I'd be more critical of the lack of improvement from LG-C-RG, personally. that is where the offense is getting beat the most, preventing ANY WR from having an impact.
                    I hear ya, and again I am totally fine with the Alt pick. He will be a good tackle for years, something we need. I am not saying a top tackle is not worth a top 5 pick, i was saying you dont have to use a top 5 pick to get a good one. That was my point in mentioning Fuoga. Guyton also playing very well for Dallas, who was picked at 29.

I was never bent out of shape we didnt pick Nabers, I knew Alt was a Harbaugh pick, but i wasnt going to agree to posts that the Chargers dont need a player like Nabers or should never draft one because Jim Harbaugh is our coach. Nonsense. We in fact do need a passing game, and a high end WR1 could be a useful asset to get the most out of a 260 million dollar QB cuz it has been a while since we have

Some here seem to think that Harbaugh can just bully and run the ball to a SB. Color me unconvinced. The first good defence we faced on the first playoff level team we faced shut Dobbins down to 44 yards and our offence to -5 yards in the 2nd half.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I love your spirit gold... you're not folding like a house of cards.
                      Having said that... I don't see us beating KC without our 2 OT's... and a hobbled QB.
                      To be honest I'm going to be pissed if Herbert plays against KC. What I saw at the end of the pittsburgh game was a guy who couldn't move at all, and that ankle's not going to improve much in 6 days. I had a high ankle sprain in HS (soccer). Dr said I would have been better off if it was a clean break - it would have healed faster. HAS's are no joke.

Putting JH out there on one leg without either starting tackle is just stupid . . . . . . . . 2 - 2 at the break is acceptable under the circumstances . . . . .

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

We need a center badly. Bozeman is the lowest ranked guy in the league at his position. Chris jones is gonna line up over him all day. Didn't they pick up some Denver trash at the center position? Honestly couldn't be worse

Comment

• rensoul
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                          We need a center badly. Bozeman is the lowest ranked guy in the league at his position. Chris jones is gonna line up over him all day. Didn't they pick up some Denver trash at the center position? Honestly couldn't be worse
                          I doubt it can be fixed unless it's through the draft next off-season. The free agent OC's that are available right now don't look much better.
                          I really think they should consider trying out Salyer/McFadden at the spot just to see if there is something there because they know what they have in Bozeman and Mustipher hasn't shown much in his career as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X