• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

Not really unless you expect Alt/Slater never to play again,

There's a lot more out there in FA at OT than there is at WR right now, Donavon Smith, David Bahktiari, Charles Leno, and DJ Humphries to name a few.

Trading for a WR1 on the cheap isn't going to hurt the ability of signing an OT off the street much if that's what they choose to do.
    Salyer is a decent backup...but who do we have after him? Leatherwood? Sarell?

Comment

• rensoul
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Salyer is a decent backup...but who do we have after him? Leatherwood? Sarell?
      Well, the situation depends on how long they think Alt/Slater will be out.
      If they miss one game this week, they will have 3 weeks to heal up until the next game.

If both will be out much longer than that, there are a number of OT's they can sign off the street as a temporary solution, same quality at WR isn't out there.

Comment

• Go Chargers go
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2023
        • Send PM

Trade them both now.

Comment

• Go Chargers go
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2023
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Derwin has been playing great this year.

An ugly loss and a not so obvious head spear and people are going full Brandon Staley on the guy.
          Sell him while high to NE

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Watching the Falcons game. Storm Norton is still in the NFL!!! LOL
            Is it a coincidence Storm was in the game for an injured starter when the Falcons failed to gain a single yard in two plays thus handing the Chiefs their 3rd victory?

Comment

• northerner
              Charger fan since '79
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

An ugly loss and a not so obvious head spear and people are going full Brandon Staley on the guy.
              he has been playing great, and this play did not look like much in real-time. the issue is that he obviously is on some type of "repeat offender" list with the NFL.

this isn't just a 15-yard penalty anymore. each penalty is going to carry a suspension with it. dude has to change his ways as of today.

i am rooting for him because it seems like a "heat of the moment" thing and not malicious (and he is a great player), but that won't save him.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Big time!

He has had a hell of a year so far and will be in the pro bowl or All Pro at the end of the season.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Again, no specifics on Derwin's play to justify his salary. It surprises me you're willing to throw Herbert under the bus in order to defend Derwin.
                  I'm not throwing Herbert under the bus. He has had good seasons but now he is in injury prone territory and instead of progressing he has stayed the same.
                  I understand he has had to endure different schemes every year and that's tough to do and for him I do hate that as it doesn't help him progress.

Maybe year two in this scheme he is much more comfortable.
                  I only mention it because you never say a bad word about him. Bad decision, bad throw or gets injured....never a bad comment.
                  Love Herbert but I still at this point think Rivers was better. He progressed while Herbert has not. And that's not a bad thing. Rivers will be in the HOF.

I'm hoping he will be able to progress with this staff going forward.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Prisco's NFL Week 3 Post Pattern: QBs paying painful price for subpar O-line play

By Pete Prisco

Sep 23, 2024 at 8:14 pm ET•5 min read
                    What's wrong with offensive play?

That's a question we are all asking. Scoring is down. Big plays are down. Sacks are up. Quarterbacks getting rocked is an every Sunday thing.

The reason is simple. Offensive line play stinks. Usually we see that in the first two weeks of the season, but it carried over this week and again impacted the offenses. Just sitting in our green room watching every game, it seemed like a quarterback was either getting sacked, hit or running for his life on nearly every play.

Offensive lines don't hit in the summer much, which is why they are bad now. The defensive linemen are so athletic that it takes work to prepare for all their stunts and looks. When you combine that with all the off coverages, it's a problem. Quarterbacks are sped up by the fronts, but slowed down by the back-end looks.

Until the offensive line play improves, expect it to stay that way. They don't hit enough in the summer, which is why we are seeing the offensive messes every week in the NFL. This week has been no different.

They don't hit, so their quarterbacks are paying the price.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

Well, the situation depends on how long they think Alt/Slater will be out.
                      If they miss one game this week, they will have 3 weeks to heal up until the next game.

If both will be out much longer than that, there are a number of OT's they can sign off the street as a temporary solution, same quality at WR isn't out there.
                      Put a brace on that knee and play

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                        Outback Goon
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Australia
                        • Send PM

Derwin is elite at open field tackling, play recognition and instincts/timing.

check out film study this week alone.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'm not throwing Herbert under the bus. He has had good seasons but now he is in injury prone territory and instead of progressing he has stayed the same.
                          I understand he has had to endure different schemes every year and that's tough to do and for him I do hate that as it doesn't help him progress.

Maybe year two in this scheme he is much more comfortable.
                          I only mention it because you never say a bad word about him. Bad decision, bad throw or gets injured....never a bad comment.
                          Love Herbert but I still at this point think Rivers was better. He progressed while Herbert has not. And that's not a bad thing. Rivers will be in the HOF.

I'm hoping he will be able to progress with this staff going forward.
                          Herb needs to get a dad bod like Mahomes so he doesn’t get injured as much I don’t think Rivers went through this many OC

Comment

Working...
                          X