• Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    The Chark signing (which I love) made me immediately think three things.

1. I love the veteran presence and leadership that Chark (and Palmer) will bring. It makes me feel better about losing Keenan and Big Mike from that aspect.

2. With all of these WRs, maybe (just maybe) we're going to have a balanced (and successful) offense instead of running the ball 70% of the time like it seemed we were heading towards just a little over a week ago.

3. I don't think we will be in 2 TE sets as much as everyone was predicting. We will have three and four WRs out there more than just occasionally. I'm not predicting an air-raid offense or anything like that. Just that we have the ability, and the players, to be able to do so.

The main thing to take away from these recent additions is that we now have the flexibility (and depth) to run all sorts of offensive formations and should have the ability to adapt to the flow of the game in any situation.

We now have the horses to run any kind of offensive formation that we want. Need a mostly heavy running game? Check. Need to air it out? Check. Want to dictate to the defense and make them try to figure out what we're going to do? Double check!
    Yes! and when we are passing, the defenses wont be expecting a short pass to Keenan Allen 80% of the time.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Cheaper than Boyd. One year deal vs what Boyd wanted longer term. And totally different player than Boyd. Boyd is more like an older version of Josh Palmer. Chark is super fast, deep threat kind of guy. Looked really good one year with Jags but I don't know what happened to him. Injuries? He is kind of long and skinny. Seems like Hortiz is not looking at him as long term solution but rather a place holder to fill a hole. Better player than Exxon-Valdez and a very Ravens like cheap rental that might be a great one year addition if someone gets hurt or does not pan out, cough cough, Johnston.

And no comp pick impacts as the window for all that has closed.

TG
      Last edited by Heatmiser; 05-03-2024, 09:11 AM.
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
        Fantastic signing. Like me, Harbaugh has no confidence in QJ.
        Yeah the more I think about it, the more this signing and the draft signal a vote of no confidence in QJ.

My guess is that they unload him after his first dropped pass in preseason. They will probably have a super short leash. It's unfortunate, I think if he can rebound it would obviously be a huge boost to our offense.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Duck of Death
          Social Piranha
          • May 2022
          • Flyover, USA
          • Send PM

Just think, if he & Herb find chemistry, EVERY WEEK COULD BE CHARK WEEK ….

… sorry, my bad

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

right now? you've seen QJ play football recently?

Chark averaged ~500 yards / season in 6 seasons. QJ gained ~430 yards as a rookie. Q had 3 drops last year, Chark had 4. (and Herbie throws harder lol)

The unrelenting Q-hate is palpable in the TPB atrium. Lets give all of our Charger players a chance in 2024, whats everyone say? Nobody knows what 2024 Q will be yet, he's working, he's focused, he's gonna give it his best. We don't need to tear down one player to be excited about another.
            My point was QJ isnt making catches like Chark was on that highlight reel.

To be clear I am not hating on QJ. NOTHING would make me happier than for him to look like a first round draft pick, blossom into a stud this year and relegate Chark to the bench.

What i am saying is that a good GM plans for any scenario, including the one that QJ is not ready for a full time starter role until year 3 of his career. I dont think Hortiz saw anything from QJ last year that told him there as no need to bring in more competition to his WR group. This is just Hortiz being a good GM and covering his bases with some expereince and adding the fastest WR on the team.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

right now? you've seen QJ play football recently?

Chark averaged ~500 yards / season in 6 seasons. QJ gained ~430 yards as a rookie. Q had 3 drops last year, Chark had 4. (and Herbie throws harder lol)

The unrelenting Q-hate is palpable in the TPB atrium. Lets give all of our Charger players a chance in 2024, whats everyone say? Nobody knows what 2024 Q will be yet, he's working, he's focused, he's gonna give it his best. We don't need to tear down one player to be excited about another.
              Oh my...looks like both QJ and Chark will be, or are already hitting the jugs machine together...

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                WR1 Palmer
                WR2 McConkey
                WR3 Chark
                WR4 Johnston
                WR5 Rice
                WR6 Derius
                WR7 Cornelius

guessing Cornelius goes PUP for an undisclosed "injury" before the season starts, and that we go six deep @wideout....
                Wow, that is a CROWDED wideout room...looks like they'll all be fighting for a spot on the final 53 in the ahem, "CHARK TANK!!!"

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Wasnt Charks best year last year just like it wasnt for Bozeman and Hurst playing ina shit show, but i like that he averages 15 yards a catch.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post
                    Just think, if he & Herb find chemistry, EVERY WEEK COULD BE CHARK WEEK ….

… sorry, my bad
                    No prob, Duck...with that Chark reference, I think you ahem, hit the nail on the "hammerhead"...

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Ontario , Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                      Harbaugh and Hortiz’s rebuild in just one off season has been way beyond my expectation so far.

Considering the cap hell they faced and holes across the roster, I figured they needed AT LEAST 2 seasons to be serious contenders again.

Last year, they had no run offense, no run defense, poor pass protection, lousy pass defense, and questions about keeping their two best DE’s, WR’s, and best TE.

Now, I have to say my expectations have changed. This is a better team with more depth than last year and obviously will be better coached.

Well done Harbaugh!! And thank you Spanii, for hiring him and turning over the reigns to him.
                      ^ This. Under Telesco's thin roster there was always the concern he never did enough to build depth and if a starter went down, the season was basically lost. It is hard adjusting to the having 3 deep and let them compete mentality, Good teams almost have an embarrassment of riches BAL was always stacked w LBs, PHI and SF DL etc. I have to pinch myself this is actually happening.

Comment

• Duck of Death
                        Social Piranha
                        • May 2022
                        • Flyover, USA
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

No prob, Duck...with that Chark reference, I think you ahem, hit the nail on the "hammerhead"...
                        Ouch. We may be in danger of jumping the Chark here

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2022
                          • White Rock, BC Canada
                          • Send PM

What I love is that our GM is not assuming.

Hortiz is not assuming QJ will be a bonafide starter this year.
                          Hortiz is not assuming a 7th round pick will make his roster

That is not how good GMs plan or operate

I also love that Harbaugh will bring in competitors and the best 53 players will make the roster regardless of pedigree or draft position.

Comment

Working...
                          X