• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Passing up on Amon Ra St. Brown for Palmer, who played at the local University, didn't bother you D-Mac?

Telescos heavily scouted USC/UCLA players, and yet missed the old dart board entirely on that one.

Fun Telesco fact:

In his 12 Charger drafts, Telesco devoted one entire draft to Domers, 1 entire draft to Horn Frogs, and one entire draft to locals.

That small pond would make even Brandon Staley protest.
    U forgot about all TT's Sammy Small Schoolers who never worked out...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      JH3 and Me
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Passing up on Amon Ra St. Brown for Palmer, who played at the local University, didn't bother you D-Mac?

Telescos heavily scouted USC/UCLA players, and yet missed the old dart board entirely on that one.

Fun Telesco fact:

In his 12 Charger drafts, Telesco devoted one entire draft to Domers, 1 entire draft to Horn Frogs, and one entire draft to locals.

That small pond would make even Brandon Staley protest.
      JP was a random pick, nobody saw that pick coming. Bother? i guess, but the Kitty pick bothered alot more. JP has been a decent pick, one of his best Rd3 picks in a decade so its not the one I think about as being the TT bother at all.

I thought TT had a peculiar habit of locking into one program certain years. TCU you note very well as a great example, it was just weird to draft 3 guys from that one program. Its like he only personally scouted a couple of the locations his staff was going to, and those ended up being his mental draft board. That and the Senior Bowl.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Looking at these draft classes just makes me soooo happy TT's no longer calling the shots. SO many misses . . . . . . . .
        So many UNACKNOWLEDGED misses.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

JP was a random pick, nobody saw that pick coming. Bother? i guess, but the Kitty pick bothered alot more. JP has been a decent pick, one of his best Rd3 picks in a decade so its not the one I think about as being the TT bother at all.

I thought TT had a peculiar habit of locking into one program certain years. TCU you note very well as a great example, it was just weird to draft 3 guys from that one program. Its like he only personally scouted a couple of the locations his staff was going to, and those ended up being his mental draft board. That and the Senior Bowl.
          Other TT 3rd round reaches were Watt, Mager, Tuerk, Pip and Woods...I guess we at least got some average production from Pip, but it took years to coach him up...that's a whole lot of whiffs...

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
            Additionally, while UDFAs like Antonio Gates and Kris Dielman rate legitimate praise, UDFAs like Jacques Cesaire and Jahleel Addae do NOT.
            That's your opinion. But in mines, guys like Cesaire and Addae do. When it comes to players who weren't stars, but contributors for the complimentary roles. Addae's play was reckless, but he wasn't as bad as he was made out to be. Cesaire was a good pass rusher, something this team hasn't had enough of at the position.

People's standards are too high. That's the problem with this fanbase regarding players. And it's why they easily get disappointed.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              JH3 and Me
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

That's your opinion. But in mines, guys like Cesaire and Addae do. When it comes to players who weren't stars, but contributors for the complimentary roles. Addae's play was reckless, but he wasn't as bad as he was made out to be. Cesaire was a good pass rusher, something this team hasn't had enough of at the position.

People's standards are too high. That's the problem with this fanbase regarding players. And it's why they easily get disappointed.
              yeah buddy! lay down some reality! i'm with you...so are a few of the silent others lurking quietly. if a UDFA makes any useful contribution. its bonus time. UDFA isn't a HOF? HE SUCKS!!! lol ... good times ...

I have zero idea if a single 2024 UDFA will make the roster (not PS, where I expect several, but the active roster). it'll be fun watching and learning ...
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Yessir, *my* opinion. Never presented it as anyone else's!

But I think you overlooked my over-riding point: Had Charger GMs drafted better, there would not have been room on the roster of undrafted free agents. When you get Antonio Gates, or Kris Dielman, as undrafted free agents? SCORE! Difficult enough to find guys THAT productive on Day 1 of the draft, much less from the undrafted free agent pile. BUT... It SHOULDN'T be *that* difficult to get Addae/Cesaire-like talent in rounds 4 - 7, and yet it was, evidently, for Charger GMs.

Consequently, there was only room on the roster for a player like Addae, or Cesaire, *BECAUSE* the Chargers' overall draft pick success ratio was embarrassingly low.

No discredit to Addae or Cesaire personally. They worked hard and contributed more-- in terms of quality play-- than 3rd round pick Dan Fucking Feeney did!

If picking Manti Te'o answered a LB problem, then the club wouldn't have had to invest second round picks in Attaochu or Perryman. If Leaf hadn't cratered, the Chargers wouldn't have been drafting Eli Manning with the #1 overall pick six years later. This ridiculous duplication of effort resulted in a thin roster.

So IMO, better drafting = less reliance on undrafted free agents. You are welcome to think/feel/believe differently, but I at least brought receipts.

And BTW, if you'd like to defend Addae, I urge you to have a conversation with Top Cat. lol
                Last edited by Ghost of Quacksaw; 05-08-2024, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

The notorious one gives our draft a generational grade

Comment

• northerner
                    Charger fan since '79
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

The notorious one gives our draft a generational grade

nice video. I don't know who the notorious guy is, but I agree with him.

rounds 1-3 fell together perfectly (his discussion on Alt is great - without the run on QB's, Alt goes higher than #5 in most years). Colson falling to us was perfect.

rounds 4-5 are trying to shore up the defense. hopefully they produce and this is where Hortiz and his scouts can shine. the first 3 picks were kind of gift wrapped for us (but the trade-up in round 2 was nicely done).

round 6 is a possible bullseye at RB for a PON and the round 7 picks are some great "let's see what you got" WR picks at another PON (especially for depth).

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

The Athletic compiled a list of their favorite draft picks at each position. We had 2 of them:

OT: Joe Alt, Los Angeles Chargers (Round 1, No. 5)
                      Jim Harbaugh won a national title at Michigan in old-school fashion by building the offensive line. With his first Chargers picks, he bypassed his need at wide receiver to add extra protection for his quarterback and launch his running game. In Alt, the Chargers have a monster (6-8 1/2, 321) with long arms (34 1/4 inches) and speed (1.73 10-yard split). That’s even more rare than finding an elite receiver.

LB: Junior Colson, Los Angeles Chargers (Round 3, No. 69)
                      There are a bunch of reasons for Michigan’s defensive resurgence during the tail end of the Jim Harbaugh era; none was much bigger than Colson. A true freshman starter for Macdonald in 2021, Colson was a durable, athletic and intelligent tackling machine inside for one of the best rush defenses in America. Even more important: Jesse Minter, the Chargers’ current defensive coordinator, took over for Macdonald at Michigan and leaned heavily on Colson over the last two seasons in Ann Arbor. Don’t be shocked if Colson earns a job right away, possibly even as a green-dot defender.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        The Athletic compiled a list of their favorite draft picks at each position. We had 2 of them:
                        Those are my two favorite picks as well. Joe Alt will solidify the OL. Protecting the franchise QB should be priority #1. Running the ball better will make the whole offense better... even the passing game will be better if a defense can't predict the play-calling. We'll be in much better situations (2nd-and-5 or 3rd-and-short). Concerns about the IOL still exist. Best competitors will win inside duties.

I didn't think Colson would be there in round 3. He was a great all-around LB that did a lot of things for Harbaugh @Michigan. Hopefully he can do those things at the NFL level. I still worry about the IDL position and the CB position (especially CB). If Joey stays healthy, that will help the secondary. Jesse Minter will have to get that defense fixed. Let's see how the personnel fits the defensive scheme. Stunts up front and blitzes from various positions on the field. Can he get Derwin involved...? I suspect Derwin, Colson, and Henly will be used wisely. Those are the elite traits guys. If Joey and Khalil still have gas in the tank... the defense could be dangerous.
                        OLineCentric

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          I have no argument with their LAC picks but I like all of them. H2 have been a breath of fresh air.

Comment

Working...
                          X