• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

#1 Chargers brass values draft picks. We're not giving up a 1st for Aiyuk.
    #2 We're not paying Aiyuk $30M/yr which is what he's seeking. He turned down $24M/yr AFTER he saw what the top WRs got.
    #3 I believe the Chargers are taking a look at what we have first. Potential is there. If it doesn't work out we may spend on a 1st rounder or
    one of the top vets, next year, not this year.

So you're assessment is correct unless the Chargers lose their mind.
    think there's a good chance that Joe is gonna take his two comp pix from the both of Palmer 'n Chark and call it a party of five (McConk, QJ, Rice, CJ 'n Derius).... he might add someone in the draft or in FA for a possible sixth wideout, but doubt it's gonna be a high pick, as see us going Dline 'n DB early, and waiting on the O 'til the mid rounds @best ??

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

I have a prediction about the future of WRs in the NFL. I believe they are trending toward being like RBs, you don't need to draft them high or pay them, because they are replaceable, college football is churning out so many talented NFL WRs these days, you can find decent talent in the later rounds or among UDFAs.

I know that belies the current trend toward mega contracts for WRs, but I think that is going to change. The one big difference between WR and RB, is that RBs have a short shelf-life, which has contributed to the diminishment of value of that position. This is not the case for the WR position. But I make my case based on these observations:

The Chiefs traded away the best WR in football then won two consecutive Super Bowls with a subpar WR corps. Yes, the Chiefs have Mahomes, something no other team has, and they also have Kelce. But that showcases if you have a good QB and TE, you don't need great, costly WRs.

The best WR in the 2023 rookie class was a 5th rounder. Tank Dell was the 2nd best rookie WR in the 2023 class until he broke his leg. He was a 3rd rnd pick who was out-performing every 1st and 2nd round pick, including Crashee Rice.

The best WR in the 2021 draft class - 5th overall Jamarr Chase? Maybe. But in reality 4th rnd pick Amon-Ra St. Brown has been Chase's equal, and has been better than the other 4 WRs drafted in the 1st round and the 5 in the 2nd round.

Of the top 8 WRs in receiving yardage last season, half were drafted in rounds 3-6: Tyreek Hill, St. Brown, Nacua, and Nico Collins (3rd/89th/2021).

Jim Harbaugh didn't hesitate to move on from one of the best WRs in the game (KA). He didn't use the No. 5 overall pick on Malik Nabers, I doubt he would've drafted MHJ over Alt either. He clearly does not assign that much value to the WR position, and I think we agree he knows what he's doing.

The Packers evolved into one of the best passing offenses in the league last season with four WRs who were drafted in the 2nd, 4th and 5th rounds in 2022-23.

Brenden Rice and Cornelius Johnson had 2nd/3rd and 4th/5th round grades. They fell to the 7th round not because they were over-graded IMO, but because there was so much WR talent available deep in the draft, a growing trend. I believe both are legit NFL talents.

Brandon Aiyuk and the 49ers are at a contract impasse. Aiyuk has averaged 1179 yds receiving and 7.5 TD catches the past two seasons. He is reportedly seeking $28 mil per season. The 49ers are already paying Deebo Samuel, but they still have Brock Purdy on a 7th round rookie deal (approx $1 mil per year) and they can probably afford to pay Aiyuk what he's asking. But if you were the 49ers GM, would you pay Aiyuk that much, given how good rookie WRs are becoming? The 49ers drafted Ricky Pearsall at the bottom of the 1st and Jacob Cowing out of Ariz in the 4th.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
        Chargers Hall of Fame
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        The Chiefs traded away the best WR in football then won two consecutive Super Bowls with a subpar WR corps. Yes, the Chiefs have Mahomes, something no other team has, and they also have Kelce. But that showcases if you have a good QB and TE, you don't need great, costly WRs
        This is the main reason. Having a solid/stud TE in this era of football is so key.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          JH3 and Me
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

I have a prediction about the future of WRs in the NFL. I believe they are trending toward being like RBs, you don't need to draft them high or pay them, because they are replaceable, college football is churning out so many talented NFL WRs these days, you can find decent talent in the later rounds or among UDFAs.

I know that belies the current trend toward mega contracts for WRs, but I think that is going to change. The one big difference between WR and RB, is that RBs have a short shelf-life, which has contributed to the diminishment of value of that position. This is not the case for the WR position. But I make my case based on these observations:

The Chiefs traded away the best WR in football then won two consecutive Super Bowls with a subpar WR corps. Yes, the Chiefs have Mahomes, something no other team has, and they also have Kelce. But that showcases if you have a good QB and TE, you don't need great, costly WRs.

The best WR in the 2023 rookie class was a 5th rounder. Tank Dell was the 2nd best rookie WR in the 2023 class until he broke his leg. He was a 3rd rnd pick who was out-performing every 1st and 2nd round pick, including Crashee Rice.

The best WR in the 2021 draft class - 5th overall Jamarr Chase? Maybe. But in reality 4th rnd pick Amon-Ra St. Brown has been Chase's equal, and has been better than the other 4 WRs drafted in the 1st round and the 5 in the 2nd round.

Of the top 8 WRs in receiving yardage last season, half were drafted in rounds 3-6: Tyreek Hill, St. Brown, Nacua, and Nico Collins (3rd/89th/2021).

Jim Harbaugh didn't hesitate to move on from one of the best WRs in the game (KA). He didn't use the No. 5 overall pick on Malik Nabers, I doubt he would've drafted MHJ over Alt either. He clearly does not assign that much value to the WR position, and I think we agree he knows what he's doing.

The Packers evolved into one of the best passing offenses in the league last season with four WRs who were drafted in the 2nd, 4th and 5th rounds in 2022-23.

Brenden Rice and Cornelius Johnson had 2nd/3rd and 4th/5th round grades. They fell to the 7th round not because they were over-graded IMO, but because there was so much WR talent available deep in the draft, a growing trend. I believe both are legit NFL talents.

Brandon Aiyuk and the 49ers are at a contract impasse. Aiyuk has averaged 1179 yds receiving and 7.5 TD catches the past two seasons. He is reportedly seeking $28 mil per season. The 49ers are already paying Deebo Samuel, but they still have Brock Purdy on a 7th round rookie deal (approx $1 mil per year) and they can probably afford to pay Aiyuk what he's asking. But if you were the 49ers GM, would you pay Aiyuk that much, given how good rookie WRs are becoming? The 49ers drafted Ricky Pearsall at the bottom of the 1st and Jacob Cowing out of Ariz in the 4th.

maybe, not sure. Maybe you’re right on the supply/demand talent equation, I just don’t know. I caution that randomly pointing at one 4th or 5th rd pick while ignoring all of the other 2, 3, 4, 5 rd WRs taken that don’t even stay in the league is bad data analysis. Overall stats still say the earlier the round, the greater the success, and that still applies to every position as far as I know.

Ravens spent 2 #1s on WR in the last 5 yrs, I think. The last one, the one I wanted, is superb. we don’t believe in the Ravens model anymore? Just sayin …
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

maybe, not sure. Maybe you’re right on the supply/demand talent equation, I just don’t know. I caution that randomly pointing at one 4th or 5th rd pick while ignoring all of the other 2, 3, 4, 5 rd WRs taken that don’t even stay in the league is bad data analysis. Overall stats still say the earlier the round, the greater the success, and that still applies to every position as far as I know.

Ravens spent 2 #1s on WR in the last 5 yrs, I think. The last one, the one I wanted, is superb. we don’t believe in the Ravens model anymore? Just sayin …
            That's the trouble with the NFL. All we have to do is what Andy Reid or John Harbaugh did and start building our Lombardi trophy case.
            Un- unh. We ain't them. We'll never be in the same time and place team-wise.
            I really like our draft. I'll just go with that.

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Jim Harbaugh …..clearly does not assign that much value to the WR position, and I think we agree he knows what he's
              Chiefs may have been successful without “the best WR in football, but flip side is he was an an unparalleled boost to Dolphins offense.

McConkey was the 34th pick in the entire 2024 draft and combined with the 2 other WR draft picks the Chargers actually spent way more draft capital on WR than any other position.

What’s this Harbaugh doesn’t assign much value to the WR position nonsense?

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Chiefs may have been successful without “the best WR in football, but flip side is he was an an unparalleled boost to Dolphins offense.

McConkey was the 34th pick in the entire 2024 draft and combined with the 2 other WR draft picks the Chargers actually spent way more draft capital on WR than any other position.

What’s this Harbaugh doesn’t assign much value to the WR position nonsense?
                May be worth noting that KC drafted WR in the 1st in '24, 2nd in '23, 2nd in '22 and signed FA 2019 1st rd pick by Bal this year. Andy has not ignored WRs.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

this was posted by Dan Orlovsky in 2022.

QB 40.0
                  WR 23.0
                  EDGE 22.0
                  OL 19.8
                  DT 18.1
                  CB 17.3
                  S 14.4
                  TE 12.6
                  RB 12.3
                  LB 12.0

That’s the average salary of top 10 players by position

The league GM’s now think WR is 2nd-most important

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                    this was posted by Dan Orlovsky in 2022.

QB 40.0
                    WR 23.0
                    EDGE 22.0
                    OL 19.8
                    DT 18.1
                    CB 17.3
                    S 14.4
                    TE 12.6
                    RB 12.3
                    LB 12.0

That’s the average salary of top 10 players by position

The league GM’s now think WR is 2nd-most important
                    am going linemen all day before WR/DBs....

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

am going linemen all day before WR/DBs....
                      We have the QB...Check
                      We drafted a 1st and 2nd WR with some honorable mentions....Check
                      We added another Edge to our already strong edge positions....Check
                      We added another outstanding Olineman with Alt and a blocking TE...Check

I think we covered our bases this off season...Check!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Being a trencher... I loved the Joe Alt pick and love that we signed Will Dissly in FA.
                        My sleepers are TE Hayden Hurst and LB Junior Colson. If JK Dobbins can stay healthy... wow!

I want to see them get DD involved in the offense... and can't wait to see what Daiyan Henly can do.
                        OLineCentric

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          JH3 and Me
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X