• Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    Later on in the same game:

1. Everett gives a real lame chip, basically just reaches out and taps Maxx in the shoulder as if to say, "I chipped him...kind of..."

image.png

2. Pip again fails to shuffle to the outside quick enough...looks like Pip is so desperate he grabs Crosby's facemask:

image.png

3. Maxx swipes his way by Pip and breaks free:

image.png

4. ...and sacks poor Herbie again.

image.png
    @#2 is where Pip loses. The hand punch should be chest/outside shoulder (like Slater does). Pip's high hands (a consistent problem) are easily swiped away (see also the pressure/interception v Broncos game early). Then he is off-balance (missed punch + hand swipe) and Maxx has him beaten.

Compare Pip's sequence to Fuaga's sequence (on Voch Lombardi link I posted).
    These techniques can be coached... but 5 years in (and 2 Mannyweather Summer Camps) these shouldn't still be issues.
    OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
      Guess who just got beat by Max Crosby here in the same game?

image.png
      Guess who has given up on the run game again...?
      Dudes just pin their ears back when the offense is predictable and there is no threat of a running game.
      So again... who do you want as a run blocker...?
      OLineCentric

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Pip keeping the pocket high & dry here on 3rd & 4 with no help.
        Whose #98 again? Big completion to K.A.

image.png

Here's another angle of the 2nd Pip sack. The pressure from Slater's guy forces Herbert to roll towards Crosby.
        Herbert is 10 yards back from the fucking line of scrimmage.

Ordinarily here, the RT would steer the pass rusher beyond the QB.

image.png

TD to KA!!!! Pip keeping the pocket high and dry again, without help. Is that #98 again?
        image.png

Chargers scored 24 points that 1rst half. Listening to Boltnut, you'd think Max Crosby made Pumpkins his bitch on most plays.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Can you identify where Max Crosby is on this play?

Hint: he's running a stunt and one Charger Olineman has his back to him .... Herbie is about to get bush whacked!!

image.png

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I think Taliese Fuaga will dominate Maxx Crosby in the run game.
            He'll beat the snot out of him, wear him down, and slow his pursuit.
            Then they will hit the Raiders with play-action deep.
            That is the Harbaugh way. He's mentioned many times that this is how he plans to win.

So the real question is... who do you want your run blocking RT to be...? Taliese or Plumpkins...?
            I think the rookie will learn that he's no longer playing against Pac 10 defenses.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I think the rookie will learn that he's no longer playing against Pac 10 defenses.
              At least you get to see him against future NFL players... Latu and Trice.
              Souix Falls.... not so much.
              OLineCentric

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                @#2 is where Pip loses. The hand punch should be chest/outside shoulder (like Slater does). Pip's high hands (a consistent problem) are easily swiped away (see also the pressure/interception v Broncos game early). Then he is off-balance (missed punch + hand swipe) and Maxx has him beaten.
                Good point on hand punch...but I also maintain that Pip's feet are ALSO a big part of the problem...he just seems way too slow to shuffle and mirror Crosby...whoever we get at RT absolutely needs to have a quicker shuffle AND use correct hand punch technique...

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Good point on hand punch...but I also maintain that Pip's feet are ALSO a big part of the problem...he just seems way too slow to shuffle and mirror Crosby...whoever we get at RT absolutely needs to have a quicker shuffle AND use correct hand punch technique...
                  Pip needed a lasso on that play: Crosby went wide a birth of him on that pass rush.

Why is Herbie standing so far back there, 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage?
                  Any OT would have trouble keeping Crosby off of the qb there.

Probably because Herbert has no faith in his interior 'protection'.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

So you’re saying their pass blocking stinks as much as their run blocking?

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

I'm more interested in OTA feedback than what the OL did with no real coaching and a poor backup C.

I do not believe that any of them are as bad as they looked in 2023. Other than Clapp who has been replaced..

Comment

• ChargerBooster
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Thanks and props to this thread’s poster doing all the analysis.

So currently Clapp is gone, no longer a Charger and while he never was close to a top-tier Center, he gave proficient play, but not consistent, nor was he a true standout there. Addition by subtraction ? I believe in the old football axiom: “You build from the inside —> out.” So Center - to Guards - to Tackles”. Our roster, as it stands is currently improved in two ways: onboarding Bozeman at Center and, one would hope, the further development of McFadden. I believe we will be seeing Tackles/prospects being brought in to compete with Pipkins. I know I am certainly not the only one looking forward and waiting for this.

Note from ChargerBooster: Tommorrow will be the first day for players to arrive at our facilities and begin on-field conditioning and strength work. And yes, this ties in. Hoping Justin Hebert’s broken/fractured bone in his throwing hand and all related potential side-issues are heading towards that fully recovered bill of health and medical clearance to begin throwing.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargerBooster View Post
                          Thanks and props to this thread’s poster doing all the analysis.

So currently Clapp is gone, no longer a Charger and while he never was close to a top-tier Center, he gave proficient play, but not consistent, nor was he a true standout there. Addition by subtraction ? I believe in the old football axiom: “You build from the inside —> out.” So Center - to Guards - to Tackles”. Our roster, as it stands is currently improved in two ways: onboarding Bozeman at Center and, one would hope, the further development of McFadden. I believe we will be seeing Tackles/prospects being brought in to compete with Pipkins. I know I am certainly not the only one looking forward and waiting for this.

Note from ChargerBooster: Tommorrow will be the first day for players to arrive at our facilities and begin on-field conditioning and strength work. And yes, this ties in. Hoping Justin Hebert’s broken/fractured bone in his throwing hand and all related potential side-issues are heading towards that fully recovered bill of health and medical clearance to begin throwing.
                          Clapp after Linsley was not nearly as great a loss of individual blocking as OL leadership skills. Regardless, the remaining OL live in Ben Herbert's world / Mike Devlin's OL today.

Comment

Working...
                          X