• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budsman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

It's really not that puzzling. It's a capped system. Who else IS there to ask for cap relief? The cap only applies to the players, and we're only talking about the top players who are (and have) made many millions off the team already. No-one's asking Scott Matlock to take a pay cut. The team needed the cap relief, Keenan was asked to help. I don't blame Keenan for not taking a haircut, but after all the years of making bank it shows where he's at.

Team; Keenan - we gave you an 80 mil fully guaranteed contract extension in 2020, and have paid you umpteen millions of dollars over your time here. Do you think you can cut us a break and shave 3 or 4 mil or so off of your 23 mil salary this year? That way we can afford to bring in better players and we'll win more games. Keenan; not on your life - I'm offended. I had the best year of my career - I need that 3 or 4 mil . Team; uh . . . . have fun in Chicago . . . . . . . . . . .

And if you think Joey Bosa has earned his money, I have some land in Florida I'd like you to take a look at . . . . . . . . . . . . It's a really good investment . . . . . . . . .
    You know there are other ways of creating cap space right? Dead cap years would have been a great idea and transferring some of the salary to bonus. All of that would t require cutting salary. The salary cap is fake and is easily manipulated. It’s not that hard.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

You know there are other ways of creating cap space right? Dead cap years would have been a great idea and transferring some of the salary to bonus. All of that would t require cutting salary. The salary cap is fake and is easily manipulated. It’s not that hard.
      We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see anything wrong with the team asking players to take a pay cut, and I don't see anything wrong with the player declining said pay cut request.

I'll admit that I was initially upset that Keenan got traded, but after some time to reflect I think this is truly a case of better a year early than a year late. I believe that if KA had agreed to some level of a pay cut he'd still be here, but I'm not freaking out (anymore). We need to let this all play out - we can freak out in August . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Budsman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see anything wrong with the team asking players to take a pay cut, and I don't see anything wrong with the player declining said pay cut request.

I'll admit that I was initially upset that Keenan got traded, but after some time to reflect I think this is truly a case of better a year early than a year late. I believe that if KA had agreed to some level of a pay cut he'd still be here, but I'm not freaking out (anymore). We need to let this all play out - we can freak out in August . . . . . . . . . .
        Fair enough, I get it we don’t have to agree. My biggest concern is that the way they treated a team leader/fan favorite coming off a great year. And most importantly I don’t think you can waste any of JHs 5 years on his contract. You can retool and adjust but just waiving the white flag on any of those seasons is a bitter pill to swallow.

I know it’s not possible monetarily but if you’re going to blow it up, trade JHerbs and draft JJ and start over on a rookie contract. At least then you’re building with a young QB and not keeping a prime QB waiting.

Comment

• Craig440
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

I know it’s not possible monetarily but if you’re going to blow it up, trade JHerbs and draft JJ and start over on a rookie contract. At least then you’re building with a young QB and not keeping a prime QB waiting.
          That sounds like it would be fun, but, I think they are thinking we can win now and Herbert is ready. We seem to be building a: tough team. I think a few guys like Quintin Johnston, Issaha Spiller, and even Palmer and mostly Herbert need to toughen up. I think coaching can do that.

In Harbaugh we trust because we have no choice and this is kind of fun.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post

That sounds like it would be fun, but, I think they are thinking we can win now and Herbert is ready. We seem to be building a: tough team. I think a few guys like Quintin Johnston, Issaha Spiller, and even Palmer and mostly Herbert need to toughen up. I think coaching can do that.

In Harbaugh we trust because we have no choice and this is kind of fun.
            He's a 4th round round pick...he gets training camp and pre-season to impress or he's gone...
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Thought this was a good debate from the talking heads...

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
                Thought this was a good debate from the talking heads...

I agree with what they said about having a veteran WR. I don't think Harbaugh and Hortiz can just turn a blind eye to it.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I agree with what they said about having a veteran WR. I don't think Harbaugh and Hortiz can just turn a blind eye to it.
                  Palmers a veteran wide receiver now...LOL! I think it's a bit over rated in that concept with this years incoming class of receivers. I was more interested in the debate about what the Chargers are gonna do after gutting their entire receiving core.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

So you wanted the team to kick more cap to the future to have Keenan Allen for one more year. Plus Allen viewed himself at $23 - the Chargers obviously left. There was always a price point they would keep each of the players. Bosa and Mack fit the price points - Allen didn't.

The salary cap is not fake. Its real. Its just more pliable in the NFL as compared to the NBA.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

they approached Keenan with several options including a simple restructure that wouldn't have cost him a cent, it was just his roster bonus and salary up front and it would've added voidable years and helped the team get under the cap, the team might not have cut MWs if he had done it and it wouldn't have cost KA any money...the restructures between him and Mack would've meant that the team could continue to work with MWs and Joey either on trades or restructures...instead MWs, Joey, and KA plus their agents colluded to put the team in a position to release them so that they could capitalize on what THEY wanted, increased cap dollars played a part, and in Joey's case he just wants to be free to play with this brother in SF...

The irony of all this shit is that the guy who should have the least amount of loyalty to the club behaved or acted in a manner that displays more caring and goodwill towards the Chargers, Kahlil fucking Mack Broke the stalemate and did a restructure which even included a 5 million $ pay cut...the guy that brought Mack here was fired, he had the best season of his career, and he was the one with all the trade buzz and yet Mack was the one that did the most to help the Chargers, LOL

so Yeah, I'm grateful for all the memories that Keenan gave us over the years, AND I'm also not mad at him to looking out for himself and his friend Mike Williams...

my issue is with folks making it sound like the team did him wrong...Keenan was given every opportunity to stick around, he was also given multiple different opportunities to help the Chargers, and he was also given the opportunity to put his money where his mouth is in regards to retiring as a Charger by taking a paycut on a longer term deal that would've kept him in bolts for the next 3 seasons...

Keenan CHOSE to leave, he didn't want to play in a system where his role would've been reduced, the team gave him choice and he went elsewhere while all along sounding off about how he wanted to retire a Charger, LOL...at some point actions speak louder than words...
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• electricgold
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2020
                        • Send PM

Keenan said there was no emotion in leaving the team and it was a business decision and yet certain fans are falling apart over it?

Why is it OK for Keenan to have no emotion in leaving the Chargers and calls it a business decision, but it's not OK for the Chargers to trade Keenan over a business decision?

Allen was great when he was here and loved, however I was fine with this move about 30 seconds after it happened!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          JH3 and Me
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Literally the first time that was posted was two or three posts above yours. You act like it was said a bunch and I admitted already after seeing it for the FIRST time and doing my homework and looking up the actual rule that’s an addendum to the way it works that yes it is correct.

Come On Please GIF by NBA
                          Didn’t mean to offend, sorry. but literally it was posted many times a week ago. Many times in response to posts about both Mack and Allen possible comp pick awards. I know this as I learned it here a week ago myself. I didnt know it before that either.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X