• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
    Well, I think sneaking off in the middle of the night and leaving the players in a lurch without the balls of even saying a proper farewell is cowardly and is backstabbing, so we'll agree to disagree. No mystery why he's unemployed and Long is still coaching.
    As I said, I agreed with that part of your statement. The other part, him not signing an extension because of the open opportunity in Michigan, I do not.

Hoke is currently the DC of the Oregon Ducks. Not a bad gig which will likely get himself another HC shot at some point.

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
      As I said, I agreed with that part of your statement. The other part, him not signing an extension because of the open opportunity in Michigan, I do not.

Hoke is currently the DC of the Oregon Ducks. Not a bad gig which will likely get himself another HC shot at some point.
      Your opinion doesn't cancel out the reptilian nature of Hoke, which I described in my original post. Him not signing the extension doesn't excuse him for not handling his exit like a professional or even a man.

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
        I would be happy with him but I think any coach that comes in has to think about being in rebuilding mode.
        Big deal. Most new coaches are not taking over a good team and often they are rebuilding.

This team is already pretty much rebuilding at most positions anyway.

Comment

• vinabolt
          Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
          • Feb 2015
          • Send PM

CAR defense doesn't look good this year. Sean McDermott was a red hot candidate last year.

He still might ended up being a successful head coach, but it shown that falling in love with a young candidate with only a few successful seasons under his belt, might be a high risk.

I think we'll have to go the AZ, MIN's routes this time, find an experienced long time NFL guy. Either a proven head coach or a proven coordinator, preferably DC, since we already have the offense ready to compete.

The best thing about Bill Parcells, Marty, Fisher, Arians isn't that they scream, but is that they know players psychology, they know how to prepare them mentally. "The gold zone" and "One play at a time" are just some parts of it.
          Last edited by vinabolt; 10-16-2016, 06:52 PM.
          Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• vinabolt
            Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
            • Feb 2015
            • Send PM

There are some main routes that teams go to find their new head coach.

The "Young Coordinators" route (McCoy, Jay Gruden, Adam Gase etc.).

This route tends to combine with the "Belichick tree" route (McDaniel, Bill O'Brien).

The College route (Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, Jim Harbaugh, Chip Kelly etc.).

This route tends to combine with the "X&O genius, schemer, next Belichick" route (Norv, Spurrier, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton, Chip Kelly).

They also mix in with the "HC-QB relationship, best for the QB "route (McCoy, McCarthy, Payton, McAdoo, the Gruden brothers, etc.) .

I would stay away from these, since the result hasn't been there in recent memory. Pete Carroll is a long time NFL guy much more than a college guy. Chip Kelly looks like a huge failure so far. I was so wrong about him. I really thought that he would accomplish great things in the NFL.

The other route is an unconventional route that BAL took when they got John Harbaugh, who was previously a no name Special teams coordinator & defensive backs coach under Andy Reid in PHI.

They got lucky there. Ozzie Newsome is a good friend with Belichick. So when they needed a new head coach, he called BB to ask for some recommendations. For some reasons, the only guy that BB recommended was John Harbaugh. And they don't even that close to each other.

BAL owners were reluctant because the guy wasn't even a coordinator. So Newsome asked BB to call BAL owner to convince him.

I'm not saying we should call BB for recommendation, lol. But we should look at some positional coaches on teams to see if there is one that has good leadership and toughness, has qualities of a head coach.

Harbaugh not exactly a genius at X&O. He hired a bunch of wrong coordinators and fired a bunch of them. Cam Cameron, Marc Trezman. But he's a charismatic, emotional leader, a troops leader who get his players to play their a$$ off and give 100% for 60 minutes.
            Last edited by vinabolt; 10-17-2016, 07:48 AM.
            Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Den60
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post
              There are some main routes that teams go to find their new head coach.

The "Young Coordinators" route (McCoy, Jay Gruden, Adam Gase etc.).

This route tends to combine with the "Belichick tree" route (McDaniel, Bill O'Brien).

The College route (Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, Jim Harbaugh, Chip Kelly etc.).

This route tends to combine with the "X&O genius, schemer, next Belichick" route (Norv, Spurrier, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton, Chip Kelly).

They also mix in with the "HC-QB relationship, best for the QB "route (McCoy, McCarthy, Payton, McAdoo, the Gruden brothers, etc.) .

I would stay away from these, since the result hasn't been there in recent memory. Pete Carroll is a long time NFL guy much more than a college guy. Chip Kelly looks like a huge failure so far. I was so wrong about him. I really thought that he would accomplish great things in the NFL.

The other route is an unconventional route that BAL took when they got John Harbaugh, who was previously a no name Special teams coordinator & defensive backs coach under Andy Reid in PHI.

They got lucky there. Ozzie Newsome is a good friend with Belichick. So when they needed a new head coach, he called BB to ask for some recommendations. For some reasons, the only guy that BB recommended was John Harbaugh. And they don't even that close to each other.

BAL owners are reluctant because the guy wasn't even a coordinator. So Newsome asked BB to call BAL owner to convince him.

I'm not saying we should call BB for recommendation, lol. But we should look at some positional coach on teams to see if there is one that has good leadership and toughness, has qualities of a head coach.

Harbaugh not exactly a genius at X&O. He hired a bunch of wrong coordinators and fired a bunch of them. Cam Cameron, Marc Trezman. But he's a charismatic, emotional leader, a troops leader who get his players to play their a$$ off and give 100% for 60 minutes.
              Much prefer John over Jim. Both are fiery but Jim seems to have some loose screws. However, you gotta wonder if Jim might be a consideration. Personally, I don't think Spanos would make a run at him.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

If Jim H wins his national championship at Michigan or if he gets fired due to recruiting violation, he might want to revisit the NFL, but not until then.

However, I do like that idea, if there is someone else like him... an experienced QB with a linebacker mentality, with coaching in his blood line. He's a former Charger, and a known quantity, so his negatives may be OK with the Chargers if they decide to flip away from the McCoy personality type.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                  If Jim H wins his national championship at Michigan or if he gets fired due to recruiting violation, he might want to revisit the NFL, but not until then.

However, I do like that idea, if there is someone else like him... an experienced QB with a linebacker mentality, with coaching in his blood line. He's a former Charger, and a known quantity, so his negatives may be OK with the Chargers if they decide to flip away from the McCoy personality type.
                  Never gonna see a top dollar HC here. Ever.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Boltx
                    Dominate the day
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

It does appear that Jim Harbaugh doesn't stay at a one job for more than 3-4 years....that being said...why on earth would he leave Michigan so early? He's starting to build a powerhouse there.
                    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                      Never gonna see a top dollar HC here. Ever.
                      What about Mrs. Harbaugh?

Comment

• boldarblood
                        Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post

BAL owners were reluctant because the guy wasn't even a coordinator. So Newsome asked BB to call BAL owner to convince him.

I'm not saying we should call BB for recommendation, lol. But we should look at some positional coaches on teams to see if there is one that has good leadership and toughness, has qualities of a head coach.

I have some friends who are Baltimore fans, they are not a big fan of Harbaugh. They feel he is way to aggresive and is directly responsbile for there last 3 losses.

Here is some fans voting, 65% of them feel he is to aggresive.

Not saying he is a good/bad coach. But to aggresive can be just as bad as to conservative.

Comment

• Foxbatkllr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by boldarblood View Post
                          I have some friends who are Baltimore fans, they are not a big fan of Harbaugh. They feel he is way to aggresive and is directly responsbile for there last 3 losses.

Here is some fans voting, 65% of them feel he is to aggresive.

Not saying he is a good/bad coach. But to aggresive can be just as bad as to conservative.
                          Not to sound like a broken record but I know he cost them the Raiders game.

Comment

Working...
                          X