• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Broadcaster Comment Thread

IMO, the majority of network broadcast work is very poorly done, and on multiple levels.

(1) The degree of cheering going on is nauseating! Some of these guys cheer more vociferously for BOTH teams than I do for *my* team when I'm watching the game. They have become fanboys. It completely compromises objectivity.

(2) These announcers use a ridiculous amount of hyperbole. If a well known player makes a play, he's a 'star'. If a scrub makes a play, he's "underrated". A "solid" player will be referred to as 'elite'. These guys act intoxicated-- they are perpetually over-glamourizing. They don't allow the game to simply sell itself-- they amplify what's happening on the field, non-stop.

(3) They even lapse into embarrassing 'tough guy talk'. "Oh, what a hit! The safety says, Stay out of my territory, pal!" Totally has a 'professional wrestling' feel to it.

I've only watched a couple of Manning-casts, but despite my distaste for the Mannings personally, they clearly have the right idea: Talk less, amplify less frequently, no cheering.

I have no idea who grades network broadcasters, and the criteria used for evaluations, but cries-donna-bicycle, I would fire 80% of them, if I were in the position to do so.
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
    IMO, the majority of network broadcast work is very poorly done, and on multiple levels.

(1) The degree of cheering going on is nauseating! Some of these guys cheer more vociferously for BOTH teams than I do for *my* team when I'm watching the game. They have become fanboys. It completely compromises objectivity.

(2) These announcers use a ridiculous amount of hyperbole. If a well known player makes a play, he's a 'star'. If a scrub makes a play, he's "underrated". A "solid" player will be referred to as 'elite'. These guys act intoxicated-- they are perpetually over-glamourizing. They don't allow the game to simply sell itself-- they amplify what's happening on the field, non-stop.

(3) They even lapse into embarrassing 'tough guy talk'. "Oh, what a hit! The safety says, Stay out of my territory, pal!" Totally has a 'professional wrestling' feel to it.

I've only watched a couple of Manning-casts, but despite my distaste for the Mannings personally, they clearly have the right idea: Talk less, amplify less frequently, no cheering.

I have no idea who grades network broadcasters, and the criteria used for evaluations, but cries-donna-bicycle, I would fire 80% of them, if I were in the position to do so.
    Growing up in the San Fernando Valley in the 70's on up we had Vin Scully for the Dodgers, Chick Hearn for the Lakers and Bob Miller for the Kings. At the time I did not realize how incredibly amazing that was. Now the more I listen to other announcers the more I realize how amazing they were, not just amazing but the best ever. These newer announcers I have to agree are terrible, they take away more than they add for sure to the broadcast.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Growing up in the San Fernando Valley in the 70's on up we had Vin Scully for the Dodgers, Chick Hearn for the Lakers and Bob Miller for the Kings. At the time I did not realize how incredibly amazing that was. Now the more I listen to other announcers the more I realize how amazing they were, not just amazing but the best ever. These newer announcers I have to agree are terrible, they take away more than they add for sure to the broadcast.
      One of the most Twilight Zone-ish things I've ever experienced is listening to Vin Scully call Dodger games when I was 8 years old... and also when I was 65. It's just too bizarre that one man could be the voice of a franchise for THAT long.

I will offer up Jim Nance and Steve Harlan as two of the most girly-hysterical play-by-play guys working today. I'm truly embarrassed for them.

Comment

• Icebolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2023
        • Send PM

Mannings are fun BUT even they have stated that they can get by with things because they are not BIG NETWORK.
        Best comment I heard this weekend by the bobbos on tv are " John Harbaugh is the best coach" then gets severely outcoached in the first half of the game

Comment

• BigBad
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

When Mahomes got hit in the facemask Tony Romo and Nantz sounded like screaming teenage girls in a slasher film.

It was pathetic

Comment

• sdchrgrboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2021
            • San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
            When Mahomes got hit in the facemask Tony Romo and Nantz sounded like screaming teenage girls in a slasher film.

It was pathetic
            Mahomes is the new Brady.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sdchrgrboy View Post

Mahomes is the new CryBrady.

There.....fixed it for ya...... And Kelce ain't far behind.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

My introduction to Vin Scully was sitting with my grandfather in the bleachers for Sunday double headers at Dodger stadium in 64. He would bring this little white transistor radio that he would hold up to his ear every moment that Vinny was talking. You learned real quick to only ask grandpa questions during the Farmer John commercials. Chickie Baby was a classic and I will always remember "The fridge door is closed, the butter's cooling and the eggs are getting hard" or something close to that. I remember one time in a game versus the early LA Clippers, Chick put the game in the refrigerator BEFORE it started. The Lakers went out and had a 40 - 4 lead after the first quarter (or something close) and I can remember me and my friends laughing our asses off. Now Bob Miller was my favorite TBT. The way he called a game was outstanding so even listening to the radio, you could see the action in your minds eye. I had season tickets to the Kings for years starting with Bruce McNall's first season as owner. What a grand time that was.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

My introduction to Vin Scully was sitting with my grandfather in the bleachers for Sunday double headers at Dodger stadium in 64. He would bring this little white transistor radio that he would hold up to his ear every moment that Vinny was talking. You learned real quick to only ask grandpa questions during the Farmer John commercials. Chickie Baby was a classic and I will always remember "The fridge door is closed, the butter's cooling and the eggs are getting hard" or something close to that. I remember one time in a game versus the early LA Clippers, Chick put the game in the refrigerator BEFORE it started. The Lakers went out and had a 40 - 4 lead after the first quarter (or something close) and I can remember me and my friends laughing our asses off. Now Bob Miller was my favorite TBT. The way he called a game was outstanding so even listening to the radio, you could see the action in your minds eye. I had season tickets to the Kings for years starting with Bruce McNall's first season as owner. What a grand time that was.
                  "The eastern most in quality, the western most in flavor!" -- I hope they put this on Vin's gravestone.

"We've got some time, let's spend it with Jerry.."

And re: Chick Hearn, you forgot "The jello is jiggling".

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Don't forget Chick Hearn is the guy who coined the phrase Slam Dunk.

This was just an amazing time and place for sports announcers.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

"The eastern most in quality, the western most in flavor!" -- I hope they put this on Vin's gravestone.

"We've got some time, let's spend it with Jerry.."

And re: Chick Hearn, you forgot "The jello is jiggling".
                      "From high above the western sideline..."

There were eras during which Chick Hearn did his play-by-play from a courtside table, and other eras in which he called the game from a booth up on the second level.

This broadcast booth was 'open air', so to speak, which is to say... not enclosed. So it was possible to actually get within earshot of Chick.

A friend and I went to a Laker game in '70 or '71, whenever it was that the Lakers had a huge 20+ game winning streak. During the game, my friend and I were walking up those steps to the mezzanine where the concession stands were, which took us right past Chick's location. As we went by, we waved to him and called out, "Hey, Chick!"

Chick had his vocal motor in gear-- the broadcast was going out live-- but he broke stride long enough to say "Two nice young men have just said 'hello' to me at The Forum."

It was at least 10 years later, I was telling this story to another L.A. area native who was a long-time Laker fan. He got this odd look on his face and said, "My God, I remember hearing that!" lolol

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

While on the subject of broadcasters, Greg Olson is getting replaced by Brady next year as the #1 broadcaster. Evidently he is pretty pissed about that.

Comment

Working...
                        X