• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by el_jefe999 View Post
    I've been pleased with the roster build philosophy this offseason but would still like to see the team pickup a vet CB as an insurance policy for Fulton. A more limited, at this point in their career, that still plays with good technique like Peterson or Gilmore could contribute here. I'd still also like at least one DL signed, maybe 2 after roster cuts happen. Asking prices for the remaining free agents will definitely start coming down as we get closer to camp.

It's pretty crazy to think we still have 25ish million in cap space after we started the offseason in cap hell.
    Hortiz.

Re CB - DL, we aren't flush with vet stars. I'm waiting for training camp to see what we have in the young guys. I think Minter will be fine with what we have but a good player cheap? Sure.

C Connor Williams is my major want. I think Bozeman is good. Williams is a star coming off injury. May be reasonable, considering. We've seen what a top C can do for the OL and offense in general.

Comment

• el_jefe999
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2023
      • Send PM

When the season ended I was all about getting Williams but am unsure if he's the right fit for the Harbaugh/Roman offense. I've seen analysis that he excels with athleticism in a zone blocking scheme but power may not be his strong suit.

I don't pretend to know if this is true or not but given how things have progressed if Hortiz signs him Ill buy in.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I was shocked to see the Raiders make Telesco their GM. Not sure what it was they saw in his 'Charger Dynasty' <rolleyes> that brought about the decision.
        Couldn't happen to a better organization!!!!! TT going there was a win - win - win . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Chargers8491
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

By 2014, Nick Hardwick was 33/34 years old and in decline.
          A neck injury landed him on IR and he retired after the season... before the draft.
          Ornsberger was a 4th round pick by the Patriots. He didn't make the team and was put on their practice squad.

How hard was it for Hortiz to pick up a real, starting center this offseason?
          Had Hortiz not been able to pick Bozeman up... would he be rolling with Trevor Robinson and DJ Walton @center...?

In 2015, TT rolled in with Hairiston (LT), over-priced Orlando Franklin (LG), Treveor Robinson (OC), failed OT Fluker (RG), and over-priced Joe Barksdale. And then people are surprised to see the team go 4-12.

You better draft better... or you end up with everybody else's cast-offs... with over-priced contracts.
          I'm guessing if they had not signed Bozeman they would have drafted a center. This is what I like about how Hortiz is running things. He's giving vets 1–3-year contracts to fill starting and back up holes while allowing younger players to develop. If the vets are a good fit, he can extend them. If not, they can move in the younger player or find another vet.

We knew going in the offseason was going to be tough road to fix all the problems in one year but on paper he has done a great job, but we will have to see how that translates when the games start.

Adopted Bolt: QJ

SEASON: 2024 (WK3)
          REC: 10
          YARDS: 133
          TDS: 3

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Fluker was a disaster, but he did take him in RD 1, which is an investment that did not work out. Thanks for agreeing with me.
            Hold on there. Hardwick was a 3rd rounder. We drafted Tuerk who was also a 3rd rounder. Didn't work out, but again was an investment.
            Who where Freeney and Lamp? Tevi was supposed to be a backup. Quessenbery same thing. None worked out, but it's not likeTT
            ignored the O line
            . Then came Slater and Zion. Not even touching all the FAs that were brought in but didn't work out.

So again not saying that TT did a good job with the O line, but he did try. If you want to compare TT with Hortiz and Harbaugh to Lynn, McCoy
            and Staley, knock yourself out.
            You prefer the word "investment"... I prefer to call them "mistakes". When you make mistakes along the OL... you must fix them. You don't wait around for 4 years while teams tee-off on your QB and RB.

IMO, TT was always late in fixing his disasters... especially along the OL. He could/should have drafted OBJ in 2018.
            I can see you share TT's complacency along the OL... thinking we should roll with Pipkins @RT another year.
            Luckily, Ortiz drafted Joe Alt this year. And he'll draft IOL next year if the IOL can't stand up this season.
            Because, unlike Telesco, he understands the urgency along the OL.
            OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

I'm guessing if they had not signed Bozeman they would have drafted a center. This is what I like about how Hortiz is running things. He's giving vets 1–3-year contracts to fill starting and back up holes while allowing younger players to develop. If the vets are a good fit, he can extend them. If not, they can move in the younger player or find another vet.

We knew going in the offseason was going to be tough road to fix all the problems in one year but on paper he has done a great job, but we will have to see how that translates when the games start.
              Absolutely! I think Bozeman was a good signing... because he fits the scheme. He played well for Roman several years ago.
              Dissley, Hurst, Perryman, Gus, JK, Chark, Ford... these all really smart signings. They fit. They're not over-paying guys.

Meanwhile, they drafted very well.
              Alt will be a cornerstone for years to come.
              McConkey was an excellent value pick (glad they didn't overdraft @WR @#5)
              Junior is an obvious pick @LB. Another great value pick. Fits the scheme.
              Eboigbe provides depth @IDL. Another value pick.

I would have liked a quality CB... but like you said, it wasn't all getting fixed in 1 year.
              There is a nice class of CB's next year. I predict CB, EDGE, and IOL next year's draft.

OLineCentric

Comment

• captaind
                Cook This Pork Chops
                • Jun 2013
                • Balcony
                • Senile Agitator
                • Send PM

You prefer the word "investment"... I prefer to call them "mistakes". When you make mistakes along the OL... you must fix them. You don't wait around for 4 years while teams tee-off on your QB and RB.

IMO, TT was always late in fixing his disasters... especially along the OL. He could/should have drafted OBJ in 2018.
                I can see you share TT's complacency along the OL... thinking we should roll with Pipkins @RT another year.
                Luckily, Ortiz drafted Joe Alt this year. And he'll draft IOL next year if the IOL can't stand up this season.
                I think TT was late because he was always too busy plugging other holes in the ship, caused by lack of depth, caused by his inability to draft well beyond the first few rounds.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Well no. You said TT didn't invest in the O line. You used the wrong terminology. He made mistakes on the O line. He didn't draft the right guys, brought
                  in FAs that didn't work out. All of that is true. But he did invest on the O line, it just didn't work out. We now have 3 first rounders on the O line and one
                  3rd rounder. Hortiz brought in a FA center and drafted in a 1st rounder. So 3/5 current so called starters are a function of TT, including 2 1st rounders.

It's like saying a guy puts $1M in the stock market and loses $800K. One can say he is very bad investor in the stock market. You cannot say he didn't
                  invest in the stock market, He was just bad at it. That's TT.

In as far as PIP goes, he didn't get traded. Still on the roster and slated to be a starter. We'll have to see how it works out.

In as far as the draft goes. It was a personal choice. I would have taken Nabers and a O line guy in the 2nd. But I'm not the coach. Have to
                  role with what Harbaugh wants. I'm good with it.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Posted in the other thread but all draft picks officially signed.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

All rookies signed now. It's going to be long hot summer before football returns.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2022
                        • Send PM

Absolutely! I think Bozeman was a good signing... because he fits the scheme. He played well for Roman several years ago.
                        Dissley, Hurst, Perryman, Gus, JK, Chark, Ford... these all really smart signings. They fit. They're not over-paying guys.

Meanwhile, they drafted very well.
                        Alt will be a cornerstone for years to come.
                        McConkey was an excellent value pick (glad they didn't overdraft @WR @#5)
                        Junior is an obvious pick @LB. Another great value pick. Fits the scheme.
                        Eboigbe provides depth @IDL. Another value pick.

I would have liked a quality CB... but like you said, it wasn't all getting fixed in 1 year.
                        There is a nice class of CB's next year. I predict CB, EDGE, and IOL next year's draft.
                        I think Still will turn some heads if can continue to develop during TC. He had a solid 3 days at the end of OTA. If he can become a starting Nickle that would be huge. Didn't hear much about Hart other than he is big. Hopefully, he can develop as well.

Eboigbe is a project. Can't remember who said that during one of the pressers. Not really expecting a lot from him other than depth this year.

I really like the Vidal pick and think he will see a lot of playing time especially if he has a good TC and pre-season. I also think he had a really shot at being the starter by the end of the season especially with the injury history of Gus and Dobbins.

I would add IDL to your list and think it could be their 1st rnd pick but it's way too early to tell.
                        Adopted Bolt: QJ

SEASON: 2024 (WK3)
                        REC: 10
                        YARDS: 133
                        TDS: 3

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Well no. You said TT didn't invest in the O line. You used the wrong terminology. He made mistakes on the O line. He didn't draft the right guys, brought
                          in FAs that didn't work out. All of that is true. But he did invest on the O line, it just didn't work out. We now have 3 first rounders on the O line and one
                          3rd rounder. Hortiz brought in a FA center and drafted in a 1st rounder. So 3/5 current so called starters are a function of TT, including 2 1st rounders.

It's like saying a guy puts $1M in the stock market and loses $800K. One can say he is very bad investor in the stock market. You cannot say he didn't
                          invest in the stock market, He was just bad at it. That's TT.

In as far as PIP goes, he didn't get traded. Still on the roster and slated to be a starter. We'll have to see how it works out.

In as far as the draft goes. It was a personal choice. I would have taken Nabers and a O line guy in the 2nd. But I'm not the coach. Have to
                          role with what Harbaugh wants. I'm good with it.
                          I was in the Nabers fan club for the first pick but I also can live with this draft as well. I would have wet myself if we could have drafted Nabers + McConkey and then used next years first to get another Linemen in the second. As it is we got a good draft on paper and we'll see how it pans out with later picks at wide receiver. Overall a very balanced draft and we can already see the improvement in professionalism.

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X