• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

I get that. My point was the season was basically over so there was no reason he shouldn't have been given more reps.
    You could say the same for most of our younger guys last year - Spillar, Woods, Henley, Davis (as a WR), all the young Dlinemen, etc. Staley was desperately trying to hang onto his job so only played the vets, and TT / upper management didn't have the balls to overrule him and get the kids some seasoning. Stupid - particularly when the season was already in the tank . . . . . . . . that's how losing organizations operate.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      I think Spiller makes it and Mason may or may not. Dont see a spot for him unless they want a FB to play here and there. With injury prone RBs like Dobbins and Gus, Spiller we should keep. I dont think he has had a real chance either. Mostly gets caries with the scrub OL and our OL was awful last year in run blocking. Spiller is still only 22 years old. 23 in August

As has been stated many times previously it's very difficult to evaluate our young talent with the way they were handled by the previous regime. The doghouse guys - Spillar, Woods, etc have a new lease on life (so to speak) with the new staff. I hope they make the most of it. It would be huge if a few of them could become productive players.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        I think this graphic shows the future direction of the team. Herbie can throw the ball to anybody, anywhere, but he can’t make stops on D when the game is on the line.

And when choosing to keep the WRs or the EDs, who did Hortiz chose to keep.

Give us two years, we will be a top D in this league.

IMG_0186.jpg

Thank you. This is it in a nutshell.

I've said it before but it bears repeating; Staley and TT rode Herbert into the ground. They we too inept to 'build' a roster properly, so they just relied on Justin to bail them out. The kid is nails, but that level of pressure is unsustainable in the long run, and is one of the reasons Herbie's earlier years are better than his more recent ones.

I fully expect a 'bounce back' season from him this year. Hell if Herbert had just had a 10 to 15th ranked defense for the last 3 years we'd have had deep playoff runs in all 3, and just maybe some hardware . . . . . . . . . Harbaugh's got it right - build a team AROUND Herbert, don't expect Herbert to BE the team.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Jefferson took a year off so he’s probably the healthiest guy on the squad. And mentally rejuvenated too. I like him a lot.
          He has some things going for him, but he's Rico Curtis slow.

That's just too big a liability, IMO, unless your only other option is a speedy J.T. Woods type who's a big liability as a tackler.

In other words, if Jefferson is The Answer to a hole on the Bolts defense this year? That's an indictment of his competition!

A guy with Jefferson's limitations SHOULDN'T be anyone's Answer, unless you consider Emergency Stopgap to be an answer.

Comment

• CivilBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

As has been stated many times previously it's very difficult to evaluate our young talent with the way they were handled by the previous regime. The doghouse guys - Spillar, Woods, etc have a new lease on life (so to speak) with the new staff. I hope they make the most of it. It would be huge if a few of them could become productive players.
            I just saw we signed another speedy receiver. Damn this coaching staff is relentless. TT would have stepoff the gas around this time.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              Spiller brings one thing that none of the other current backs do…he is pretty good in the passing game, at least he was in college. He has really had no opps as a pro. But he may end up being the third down back. Edward’s, Dobbins, Vidal, Dotson either not ever asked to do it or not ever shown can do it. Spiller has chops in that area. I hope he gets a chance. Too much talent to be so miserable as a pro.

TG
              Dobbins can catch passes and is far more talented and explosive than Spiller if he can stay healthy. Spiller just has no juice when he runs

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

He has some things going for him, but he's Rico Curtis slow.

That's just too big a liability, IMO, unless your only other option is a speedy J.T. Woods type who's a big liability as a tackler.

In other words, if Jefferson is The Answer to a hole on the Bolts defense this year? That's an indictment of his competition!

A guy with Jefferson's limitations SHOULDN'T be anyone's Answer, unless you consider Emergency Stopgap to be an answer.
                Well, Perriman is a stopgap too. Others also? Let's just make it through this year with a winning record and get younger and better next year. And that doesn't mean stopgap players can't play and help us win this year. We'll find out in TC, but Jefferson appears to be better than the other backup safeties and he brings that Baltimore attitude of toughness and accountability to a squad in need of an attitude adjustment.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I just shake my head over the whole Spiller situation. How can a player that was well respected in college just disappear? It just doesn't make sense. If he stinks that bad he should have been replaced last year. There is no shortage of available RBs out there.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Chargers rushing offense under Staley: 2021 #21, 2022 #31, 2023 #25 in NFL. Ranging from well below average at best to next to worst in NFL. It was not just the RBs who sucked.
                    Agree. Which for one thing has me apprehensive about our OLs ability to run block. Hoping it was the scheme and hoping we have a better OL coach to improve that aspect.

Kelly wasn't good at making people miss. He needed a hole to blast thru or he was going nowhere as he imo was not elusive and notice he still hasn't been signed.
                    He could be a in season pickup by someone.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-16-2024, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I just saw we signed another speedy receiver. Damn this coaching staff is relentless. TT would have stepoff the gas around this time.
                      TT sucked. I recall him saying when asked about speed at WR " we all would like to have speed at WR, but it isnt easy to come by" or something like that.

Not that hard, you just have to draft it and sign it and that's what Hortiz did.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Im watching the UFL Championship game right now. Birmingham against Wade Phillips San Antonio team.

Seen 3 kickoffs as I missed the opening kickoff.

They kick from the 20 and the kicks get down to the 5 -7 yard line.
                        They will get returned and one return went to the 35, one went only to the 18 because they tried a trick return.....didn't work. The other went to around the 22 as the return man reversed his field from the sideline and ran a bit backwards and got run down.
                        Most games I've seen 30-35 yardline is more normal.

There isn't a big difference from a regular kickoff except the guys running down the field aren't in line with the kicker and are ahead of him as you have seen in pics. Blockers are well up ahead as well. Just not as much as a running start.

Starting QBs for this game?

Birmingham Adrian Martinez?
                        SA....some dude named Chase Garbers 🤷

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree. Which for one thing has me apprehensive about our OLs ability to run block. Hoping it's the scheme.amd.hopijg.we have a better OL coach.

Kelly wasn't good at making people miss. He needed a hole to blast thru or he was going nowhere as he imo was not elusive and notice he still hasn't been signed.
                          He could be a in season pickup by someone.
                          Waaal, we'll see....LOL!

Our OL have the size and strength.
                          Technique and scheme is being installed by experienced veterans.
                          Harbaugh (lifelong) and Roman (26 yrs) will be overseeing the OL.
                          Run CO Bischoff (12 yrs) and OL Mike Devlin (22yrs) will be hands on.
                          Ben Herbert is the S & C beast.
                          They want to hit somebody.

Comment

Working...
                          X