• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

We have different coaches and a different scheme.
    The pads haven't even come on yet. No real hitting.
    The effectiveness of the OL will determine our RB's effectiveness.
    They'll take a look in pre-season... if Spiller doesn't look like a fit, there are plenty of FA RB's. Dime-a-dozen.

Gus, JK, Spiller, Vidal
    Hurst, Dissly, Parham, Mason

And remember... no blockie, no rockie. So Spiller and Parham should polish up their pass/run blocking.
    Both RB and TE should be targets next draft. Something mid-round but long-term. Neither position is worth 1st-3rd round capital.
    OLineCentric

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      JH3 and Me
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      Are we all still confident Spiller isn't making the team?

I maintain he's a shoe-in with his size, youth and potential.
      And most of all, Dobbins' injury history and now Gus getting nicked up in June....

Rooting for Spiller.
      RB1 and RB2 out cannot hurt his chances. Hope he comes in ready to play professional RB this season!
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

A few touches in a few games in his NFL career is not an opportunity.

I think you misunderstand the type of RB he is velo? No, he's not an explosive back,

and he evidently did not exel in pass protection.
        Spiller has gotten 55 carries in his two seasons for 2.5 ypc. He hasn't gotten more touches because he's been dreadful on the opportunities he has been given. He has shown no spark, given no reason there might be hope for him. He's had 55 chances and on every one of them he's only shown he has no talent and should not be on an NFL roster. He's had more opportunities than Larry Rountree, who had 49 carries before coaching had seen enough. Spiller's performance has been no better than Rountree's. There's nothing there. If they want to add another RB, it would make more sense to bring back Joshua Kelley, who is still a free agent.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Spiller has gotten 55 carries in his two seasons for 2.5 ypc. He hasn't gotten more touches because he's been dreadful on the opportunities he has been given. He has shown no spark, given no reason there might be hope for him. He's had 55 chances and on every one of them he's only shown he has no talent and should not be on an NFL roster. He's had more opportunities than Larry Rountree, who had 49 carries before coaching had seen enough. Spiller's performance has been no better than Rountree's. There's nothing there. If they want to add another RB, it would make more sense to bring back Joshua Kelley, who is still a free agent.
          If it were such a foregone conclusion that Spiller has nothing to offer, he'd have been released, right? They want COMPETITORS in camp, guys who make the other guys around them work harder. They absolutely do NOT want guys that have no capacity to help the team.

So-- while I'm not expecting Spiller to make the team this season-- I don't think the team's evaluation of him is as dire as yours.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

If it were such a foregone conclusion that Spiller has nothing to offer, he'd have been released, right? They want COMPETITORS in camp, guys who make the other guys around them work harder. They absolutely do NOT want guys that have no capacity to help the team.

So-- while I'm not expecting Spiller to make the team this season-- I don't think the team's evaluation of him is as dire as yours.
            Spiller is still under contract, that's the only reason he is here. Sure, they'll give him his opportunities in camp, but they've seen his tape and I'll bet they've drawn the same conclusion I have. He will be gone in the first cutdowns after camp. I don't think my evaluation is dire, I'm just trying to counter this belief that somehow still persists on this board that Spiller still has potential.

Comment

• Chargers8491
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Moving up from the Mountain west to the NFL is a huge leap,
              and college DTs rarely hit the ground running in the NFL.

Look at the DT Brown on Carolina ... drafted right after Herbert.

He wasn't much his first 2 - 3 seasons, and then finally took off.

That's why you can't just draft one DT every 4 years, as was Telesco's habit.
              I get that. My point was the season was basically over so there was no reason he shouldn't have been given more reps.
              Adopted Bolt: QJ

SEASON: 2024 (WK3)
              REC: 10
              YARDS: 133
              TDS: 3

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Spiller is still under contract, that's the only reason he is here. Sure, they'll give him his opportunities in camp, but they've seen his tape and I'll bet they've drawn the same conclusion I have. He will be gone in the first cutdowns after camp. I don't think my evaluation is dire, I'm just trying to counter this belief that somehow still persists on this board that Spiller still has potential.
                yes. he's under contract for two more years and he's already been in the NFL for 2 seasons, but he's still only 22 years old, he's the same age as Vidal, I have to imagine that his age coupled with his size and the fact that he's still locked up for two years might interest the new staff, how much has he learned in the past two years about pass protection and can he stick to the script and take what the defense gives him instead of trying to make a play all the time? You might be right and the writing might be on the wall, but given the age and the horrible situation here with the run game in the past, is there a small chance that he can win over this new staff? I think there could be, but honestly IDK...
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Chargers8491
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2022
                  • Send PM

I could be wrong, but I don't Spiller is going anywhere at least this year anyway. He is the biggest RB on the roster, and he is still young. Plus, with Gus and Dobbins injury history they will need to make sure they have solid depth.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2022
                    • Send PM

I expect to see another safety signed before the start of TC. Maybe Simmons? I like the Jefferson signing but he is coming out of retirement and was out last year. If Jefferson works out or they find another FA safety that would be huge for DJ and the D. This would allow DJ to move around more. I'm expecting maybe a couple of more signings prior to the start of TC.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Not so sure about some of those ideas...sure, try to not annoy refs, that's for sure...but...to "know where they live?" And to ask about their wife and kids? Gotta be careful not to sound like a stalker, here...
                      Not their address. Wow.

Takes less than a minute to say hey Alex, did you play ball. And ref says yes HS and College. Joey says.where at
                      Ref says Tennessee. Blah blah. Joey says is that where you grew up. Ref say yes I'm from Memphis and Joey as ask about food BBQ. He does NOT need to know where he actually lives. He isn't sending him any holiday gifts. That would be awkward.
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

I think Spiller makes it and Mason may or may not. Dont see a spot for him unless they want a FB to play here and there. With injury prone RBs like Dobbins and Gus, Spiller we should keep. I dont think he has had a real chance either. Mostly gets caries with the scrub OL and our OL was awful last year in run blocking. Spiller is still only 22 years old. 23 in August

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                          • Feb 2019
                          • McLean Illinois
                          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                          • Send PM

I think Spiller and Mason make it...Mason will double as a TE, and put some work in there, in the various 12 and 13 alignments...so I think maybe he takes one of the TE spots...

I think Spiller is a Harbaugh type of back...and if he works hard, and hits it off with staff/responds well to coaching...he has a real good shot, IMO
                          Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

Working...
                          X