• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

It seems the Chargers never have never taken the backup QB position seriously. Geno Smith was maybe the last legit backup, but never did much but scramble in his time as backup. Some other good teams have former starters as their backups. The Chargers have mostly had late rounders lately. They’ve never taken the backup QB that seriously. They’ll wait until Herbert is out for a period of time, then go hunting around. Other teams ensure they have a legit plan B on their roster. I’ve always been unsatisfied with the Chargers backup QB approach.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
      It seems the Chargers never have never taken the backup QB position seriously. Geno Smith was maybe the last legit backup, but never did much but scramble in his time as backup. Some other good teams have former starters as their backups. The Chargers have mostly had late rounders lately. They’ve never taken the backup QB that seriously. They’ll wait until Herbert is out for a period of time, then go hunting around. Other teams ensure they have a legit plan B on their roster. I’ve always been unsatisfied with the Chargers backup QB approach.
      Vlasic was a pretty good backup...but yes, lately the Bolts have been lax in this area...Maybe Harbo is higher on Stick than we are...I guess we're stuck with Stick, 'till we find a better pick...

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Vlasic was a pretty good backup...but yes, lately the Bolts have been lax in this area...Maybe Harbo is higher on Stick than we are...
        I think with an actual running Game Stick might be more than adequate. Staley had no clue on how to properly run an offense.
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• captaind
          Cook This Pork Chops
          • Jun 2013
          • Balcony
          • Senile Agitator
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

First of all, I don't care what anybody says about Goff. He does not get the credit he deserves.

He doesn't have the rocket arm but he took the Rams to the SB and has the Lions as one of the best offenses in the league and he has very good numbers the last three years and frankly they were good with the Rams.

Tua will get too much money now and imo Goff is better. Lawrence got over paid. He hasn't been very good.

Brady. ...he is the one that took less money. No way he should get 30 mil from TB while Rodgers got 45-50. Brady is very unselfish and didn't care about pro bowls or MVPs( that's Rodgers thing) . He wanted rings.

I hated the Patriots but Brady is the one who took less money and you don't see that very often.

Now he gets the same money this season to comment on games as a analyst as he did to play and he isn't afraid to say what we all are thinking.

He called the QBs pampered and it was too easy and why he kept playing.
          Goff was the real MVP last season. And it wasn't even close.

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Contrary to popular Charger fan belief... if your investment along the OL doesn't work out, you must re-invest. Quickly. It's the engine that drives the whole machine. If you're not getting it right, you're wasting any talent that may be on the team already. I'm glad TT is gone. I'm glad we have a group that finally understands team building. No more settling for average along the OL.
            I'm not a big fan of TT. BUT he did draft Slater, Zion in round 1, brought in an Pro Bowler center and Pip was a 3rd rounder. So to insinuate that he didn't invest in the O line is not exactly
            correct.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

I'm not a big fan of TT. BUT he did draft Slater, Zion in round 1, brought in an Pro Bowler center and Pip was a 3rd rounder. So to insinuate that he didn't invest in the O line is not exactly
              correct.
              TT also drafted both Lamp and Feeney...both were highly rated by most draftniks...unfortunately, Lamp was an injury bust, and Feeney was a standard bust...

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

TT also drafted both Lamp and Feeney...both were highly rated by most draftniks...unfortunately, Lamp was an injury bust, and Feeney was a standard bust...
                TT' biggest problem: Choosing the wrong HCs. He also made some bad decisions in the draft.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

RE: Lawrence.

I saw a comparison of him to Mac Jones and David Jones so far in their careers. I was shocked. Almost identical statistically

TG.
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Gus and Dobbins are BOTH currently shelved with injuries!

Various holes on the roster, some bigger than others. You mention a few.

When a team is really fortunate (and drafted well on Day 3), maybe TWO of those holes get filled by up-and-comers. Possibly another two get filled by D.J. Chark-like free agent acquisitions. But that STILL leaves other holes. We're in a waiting game here.
                    Dobbins was out there, I dont see him shelved.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

TT' biggest problem: Choosing the wrong HCs. He also made some bad decisions in the draft.
                      IMHO, TT's biggest problems were:

1) Agree, Choosing the wrong HC's.

2) Not hitting enough in the mid-rounds of the draft. This led to the lack of depth.
                      Adopted Bolt: QJ

SEASON: 2024 (WK2)
                      REC: 8
                      YARDS: 89
                      TDS: 2

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Are we all still confident Spiller isn't making the team?

I maintain he's a shoe-in with his size, youth and potential.
                        And most of all, Dobbins' injury history and now Gus getting nicked up in June....

Rooting for Spiller.
                        Darius "4.36" Davis
                        top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP Magic Number 1

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                          Are we all still confident Spiller isn't making the team?

I maintain he's a shoe-in with his size, youth and potential.
                          And most of all, Dobbins' injury history and now Gus getting nicked up in June....

Rooting for Spiller.
                          And remember...DOT is still on the roster...

Comment

Working...
                          X