• Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I went through a lengthy selection process when considering an EV. Half of the people in my office already have one (San Diego County) so I had ample real world imput. I waffled between hybrids and BEV's for months. Finally pulled the trigger in January - went with a model Y. I got one of the last remaining 2023 models which qualified for the full federal rebate, AND Tesla was going through one of their clearance phases so I got an extra 5k off the price. It's purely a commuter car, but my commute is 142 miles per day so buying gas was racking up big numbers - even in a Honda.

So far so good with the EV - I really like it and it's incredibly quiet and comfortable for the long commute. I'm a lot less fatigued when I reach my destination. As 'trip' cars EV's aren't there yet, but I have other vehicles for that. For what I needed it for it's serving admirably. I charge at home and at the office - almost never supercharge. My monthly fuel bill went from $800 to $60 (have to gas up the wifes car once in a while).

Would I have purchased a BEV without all of the discounts? I doubt it - I would have gone hybrid, but with 13,500 off sticker a model Y made sense for me.

That is the kicker for sure, with the EV market struggling so much now, once we stop the government (taxpayer) funding it will be the deathnel for sure.

My son in law had a Prius for a long time, it finally died but was about 10 years old. It was a great commuter car for him and my daughter. Great mileage and Toyota makes a very reliable car too.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

The EV market world wide is dying, they are just sitting in car lots and are barely being moved. There will always be a niche market for sure and I do rent one every time I play golf. This is skewed some in California for sure they have the highest EV saturation for sure, but nation wide, world wide it is not good.

The hybrid market is thriving though.

OLineCentric

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

That is the kicker for sure, with the EV market struggling so much now, once we stop the government (taxpayer) funding it will be the deathnel for sure.

My son in law had a Prius for a long time, it finally died but was about 10 years old. It was a great commuter car for him and my daughter. Great mileage and Toyota makes a very reliable car too.
        No complaints about the Tesla (so far), except for the absurd insurance rates. Even so - insurance + car pymt just about equals what I was spending in gas on a monthly basis. I'll pay it off by the end of the year and then remove the comp and collision, that will bring the insurance back in line.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

The EV market world wide is dying, they are just sitting in car lots and are barely being moved. There will always be a niche market for sure and I do rent one every time I play golf. This is skewed some in California for sure they have the highest EV saturation for sure, but nation wide, world wide it is not good.

Hybrid is simply a stopgap. An interim to get us to all BEV. Once the auto manufacturer's stop gouging and price BEV's at a reasonable level (and removing ICE options from the market) EV's will be the choice - unless you think gas prices will go down significantly . Why do you think Calif has such a high rate of BEV ownership? If gas was at $2.50 / ga I would still be driving my Honda.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

EVs are huge in China. In 2023 they sold 8 mil of them and they sell 60% of the total worlds EVs. They are projected to sell 10 mil this year.
            They are just so far ahead of us in some things.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

CA has the best env for battery function, highest gas prices. Hot temperature like AZ cause premature cell degradation. Cold temperature causes voltage drop that can lead to non function until it gets warmer. Some may have once been in very cold and car wouldnt start, thats battery volt drop due to cold (plus poss increased oil viscosity if cheap oil is used - increasing force required to move engine parts/start) - but mostly its battery. And I’m sure all heard the stories back in the Midwest this last winter of people stuck in frozen EVs that wouldnt work and wouldn’t’ charge. I once worked at Ford prod dev. We did battery testing in Phoenix and Int’l Falls for a reason.

As to this electronics fear, the fact is those “good old” cars did a lot of the same with mech and electromechanical parts that wore out a lot faster. Electronics significant reduces the amount of wiring needed in cars, reducing electrical failures. All in all, cars are generally more reliable now than then by a big factor. Misimpressions and faded memories.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                The reason that the market will go that route is only if the government forces it to. If we stopped forcing Walmart employees to pay for rich people to own EVs the market would have died years ago.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Hybrid is simply a stopgap. An interim to get us to all BEV. Once the auto manufacturer's stop gouging and price BEV's at a reasonable level (and removing ICE options from the market) EV's will be the choice - unless you think gas prices will go down significantly . Why do you think Calif has such a high rate of BEV ownership? If gas was at $2.50 / ga I would still be driving my Honda.
                  If I removed Coke from the market more people would buy Pepsi too.

Gas prices are pretty cheap here. $2.95 for regular. Not great, but not bad at all. Its just California is manipulating the market in many directions to force people to buy EVs. The tell tale sign is that no one is building any serious power plants. If the EV push was serious you would see nuclear power plants being built all over the country and our infrastructure being upgraded everywhere. Its not being done though. EVs are a cool niche, almost everyone that wants one has one, though majority of EV owners are choosing not to get another EV but go back to normal for their next car.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Exactly! As gas prices go up and relative cost of EV's vs. gas powered cars come down the choice will become obvious.
                    I hope to be off the grid by the time I retire (4 years). Reduce my monthly costs.

OLineCentric

Comment

• Javia
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Exactly! As gas prices go up and relative cost of EV's vs. gas powered cars come down the choice will become obvious.
                      I hope to be off the grid by the time I retire (4 years). Reduce my monthly costs.
                      I don't know. I think EVs might be helpful on the O-Line. We could definitely use their higher max power and instant torque to uproot DTs and clear running lanes. I think the rest of the team needs to stick with gas or hybrids because they need to last the whole game.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Javia View Post

I don't know. I think EVs might be helpful on the O-Line. We could definitely use their higher max power and instant torque to uproot DTs and clear running lanes. I think the rest of the team needs to stick with gas or hybrids because they need to last the whole game.
                        WE ONLY SUIT UP SEVEN !!!

Flexibility is a must.
                        It has to be hybrids.
                        Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

The reason that the market will go that route is only if the government forces it to. If we stopped forcing Walmart employees to pay for rich people to own EVs the market would have died years ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...ds/ar-BB1o1G7g
                          Subsidies happen all the time (for better or worse). If the subsidy leads to lower prices for me... I'm all for it. I know the Fossil Fuel industry receives giant government subsidies as well.

Ideally, a new industry receives subsidies to get on its feet... then the subsidies are gradually rolled back once the market has reset.
                          OLineCentric

Comment

Working...
                          X