• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chargers8491
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Minter likes to bring pressure from everywhere. DJ is great at that. Box. Slot. Bring it.
    OLB is the deepest position on the team. Can't wait to see Denzel, Junior, and Daiyan blitzing up the middle.
    Hit Patty MaHommes early and often. Repeatedly. Let's see what Wanya Morris is made of...
    What I really like about Minter is he plays to the strength of the defense and that can change from year after year. For example, last year at Michigan the Dline was the strength, so they played to that strength. The year before that they had Hutchinson so they played to that strength. This year the strength will be the OLBers, so I expect the defense will play to those strengths.
    1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
    2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
    2b- #37 Jenkins DT
    3a- #66 Puni OT
    3b- #69 Sainristill CB
    4a- #105 Rice WR
    4b- #110 Lloyd RB
    5- #140 Green CB
    6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

If he lets HC do what they want (although I'm not even sure what that means), then picking the right one is even more important and that's where TT failed the most.
      We had enough talent to win the division several times. Note that we made the POs under McCoy, Lynn and even Staley. But we couldn't get it done due to bad
      coaching and being in the same division with the better HC. It's not like we didn't have talent. We just always found ways to lose. Which is not on the GM.

Having said that it's true TT didn't make moves during the season and wasn't great at drafting in the 3rd-7 rounds. Plus injuries always seems to bite us at the
      worst possible times.
      Agree. TT is no Hortiz.

Staley is not, nor will he ever be a good HC and is improbable as a future DC. His O and D sucked a great deal more than his player talent.

Comment

• Chargers8491
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

It was explained to people why Staley couldn't just take Mike Williams out of that game in the final week at Denver, by the broadcast crew doing the announcing for the game and even here on this forum. But it goes over people's head. The special teams unit wouldn't have been as effective. Most people don't care about special teams nor want to understand that part and what was explained. They just see what they want to see.

Blaming the old coaching staff is old and tiring. You can say he wasn't given enough opportunity. It's all based according to opinion. So far what Spiller has shown, it's not too impressive. Unless/until he makes strides, what you see of him is what you have. And JT Woods? He's just awful.

You can blame the HCs all you want, but Telesco was the constant. He was the bigger problem. GMs are supposed to hold up on their end too. Telesco's problem was how he operates. How he operates is why the organization has never won a division title under him. He lets the HCs do whatever they want. He isn't good at drafting outside of the 1st round save for some guys who panned out. Though in fairness every GM is going to miss on picks later in the draft too. And that's not the killer. The killer is the in-season activity. He doesn't make moves during the season which is every bit as important as the off-season. Making moves during the season is why a team like the Eagles have done better. TT doesn't do that except if it's to acquire draft picks, which he misses on more than hits. Hortiz has done a good job because he still makes move even when it gets close to the season. He keeps it going. That's what's been the difference.
        Not really. The coaching staff was a complete shit show. Part of the coaching issues was their inability to develop young players and put them in spots to succeed. Not saying TT was not the problem because he was a big problem as well. His coaching hires were an absolute failure and his drafting in the mid-rounds was horrible.
        1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
        2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
        2b- #37 Jenkins DT
        3a- #66 Puni OT
        3b- #69 Sainristill CB
        4a- #105 Rice WR
        4b- #110 Lloyd RB
        5- #140 Green CB
        6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I know it's easy to kick a man when he is down....but he did get hired by 49ers to be Asst. HC. And when the entire NFL was struggling with Dolphins his game plan put that fire out. McCoy, Lynn and Staley were not as big of an issue as Telesco. I mean the guy Tom had Rivers and Herbert and did what for a decade....have losing record. And zero playoff runs. I mean I don't think you, anyone on TPB or even some random person who doesn't know what football is could do worse when already having Philip when they get hired. And having the obvious choice of Herbert at #6 when Dolphins take Tua.

What exactly is Tom good at as GM? How did he get 3 HC and a new GM job right away. Does he have major dirt on Spanos and Davis. Was he safe all this time.

Was it something like this.......Deano, you can fire me, but only if Marko hires me. And both the owners say okay Tommy we get it, you will be taken care of.
          Staley gives great interviews.

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

It was explained to people why Staley couldn't just take Mike Williams out of that game in the final week at Denver, by the broadcast crew doing the announcing for the game and even here on this forum. But it goes over people's head. The special teams unit wouldn't have been as effective. Most people don't care about special teams nor want to understand that part and what was explained. They just see what they want to see.

Blaming the old coaching staff is old and tiring. You can say he wasn't given enough opportunity. It's all based according to opinion. So far what Spiller has shown, it's not too impressive. Unless/until he makes strides, what you see of him is what you have. And JT Woods? He's just awful.

You can blame the HCs all you want, but Telesco was the constant. He was the bigger problem. GMs are supposed to hold up on their end too. Telesco's problem was how he operates. How he operates is why the organization has never won a division title under him. He lets the HCs do whatever they want. He isn't good at drafting outside of the 1st round save for some guys who panned out. Though in fairness every GM is going to miss on picks later in the draft too. And that's not the killer. The killer is the in-season activity. He doesn't make moves during the season which is every bit as important as the off-season. Making moves during the season is why a team like the Eagles have done better. TT doesn't do that except if it's to acquire draft picks, which he misses on more than hits. Hortiz has done a good job because he still makes move even when it gets close to the season. He keeps it going. That's what's been the difference.
            Sorry you are wrong..... its not old...its factual..... Staley said during presser we had to play somebody???? ..so he felt he had no choice!....like he does not have backup RB's WR's, QB's.....etc.....

The problem is Staley wanted to stubbornly win a meaningless game and lost his best big play WR for the playoffs..... he also stupidly risked Herbert, and others...... it was a meaningless game because it was meaningless for offense, defense or ST's.....

Staley had zero excuses.....zero!..... and the broadcast team is paid by chargers and cannot say anything negative about coaches.......money never says anything negative.... he knows who is writing his checks....

YES...TT sucked at personnel after the first round and chose unqualified HC's who sucked but saved Spanos tons of money because they were cheap!

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

If he lets HC do what they want (although I'm not even sure what that means), then picking the right one is even more important and that's where TT failed the most.
              We had enough talent to win the division several times. Note that we made the POs under McCoy, Lynn and even Staley. But we couldn't get it done due to bad
              coaching and being in the same division with the better HC. It's not like we didn't have talent. We just always found ways to lose. Which is not on the GM.

Having said that it's true TT didn't make moves during the season and wasn't great at drafting in the 3rd-7 rounds. Plus injuries always seems to bite us at the
              worst possible times.
              This is spin to me.
              You are what your record says you are.
              11 seasons. 3 Wildcard playoff births.
              Overall losing record. Yet let's pass the buck to the 3 HCs this man hired as messing up his groceries. Not buying it.
              ​​​​​The old it was the coaches that had us Chargering and always finding ways to lose. Sure they are accountable for their role.
              But it was Telesco that struggled. His best RB of his entire 11 years found as udfa. His trade up for Gordon, I can see you saying he did that for the HC. Well then why is it Hortiz says the decision on the pick is his decision. Harbaugh may have signed off on Joe Alt. But it was Hortiz who decided he was the pick. Hortiz says he stacks them and has final say.

So yes. The 11 years of wasted QBs was more GM roster construction suckage and draft suckage than HC suckage.
              Had enough talent to accomplish what your record said it was.
              Never good enough. But you can pretend he has a winning record as a GM if only he had better HCs.
              Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Offseason really sucks when cats keep dragging TT and Staley back

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

This is spin to me.
                  You are what your record says you are.
                  11 seasons. 3 Wildcard playoff births.
                  Overall losing record. Yet let's pass the buck to the 3 HCs this man hired as messing up his groceries. Not buying it.
                  ​​​​The old it was the coaches that had us Chargering and always finding ways to lose. Sure they are accountable for their role.
                  But it was Telesco that struggled. His best RB of his entire 11 years found as udfa. His trade up for Gordon, I can see you saying he did that for the HC. Well then why is it Hortiz says the decision on the pick is his decision. Harbaugh may have signed off on Joe Alt. But it was Hortiz who decided he was the pick. Hortiz says he stacks them and has final say.

So yes. The 11 years of wasted QBs was more GM roster construction suckage and draft suckage than HC suckage.
                  Had enough talent to accomplish what your record said it was.
                  Never good enough. But you can pretend he has a winning record as a GM if only he had better HCs.
                  So the record is all due to the GM, got it. And you think Lynn, McCoy and Staley are good HCs, got it.

After LT AJ brought in Mathews. TT brought in Gordon (wasn't he a 1st rounder)? Eckler did a fine job for UDFA. Unfortunately the D has been subpar.
                  Not saying TT was great or even good. But his biggest failure was not the talent on the team but rather the HCs he brought in. None of which are HCs
                  any more and probably will never be. We missed out on Reid and a host of other fine HCs which would have made a huge difference to the organization.

I respectfully disagree with you.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Have to intervene here.

You make it seem ChargersPowderBlue that it was a game they had to win. The special teams unit would have been downgraded in a meaningless game - so what!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

personally, not sure I'd go down that road, as would rather venture the guess that politics might be more in play than we think.... young John is still DFO and overseer of JH2, and.... Spanos has shown that he is more loyal than not, and usually unwilling to let guys go, even if they are virtually ancient relics and from the AJ days.... some of the days where young John cut his teeth, and prolly still feels some loyalty to his fellow scouting dept brethren.... would be my suspicion, i.e. why is Stick still on the roster, let alone an Isaiah Spiller ??
                      you envision a scenario where Lil John and Big Jim are in a room together, probably with Joe, and they are talking about players and roster, and Lil John is convincing Big Jim who are the players and Big Jim and Trader Joe just nod and defer to his analysis? I assume you expect Lil John would state actual reasons about ability or talent, and not literall say "well, i'm loyal to him because I was in the room when we drafted him", right?

See -I'm seeing the opposite - I envision Big Jim overwhelming Lil John with persuasive compelling details on why "this player is yes, this player is no, this player is a maybe and we'll keep him around and see in camp, and this is what we're gonna do and I'm glad you support us and have our back, Lil Johnny. it really means alot to me and Joe that you got us 100% and believe in us, it is gonna make us a real high functioning championship team - love our unity Lil Johnny!"

I'm not envisioning any scenario where Lil John is overriding Big Jim and Trader Joe about some mid-round pick that has shown nothing on the field to date. If they are keeping Spiller around, they (the coaches) want to keep Spiller around. my guess anyway, based on these assumptions:

a: he's under a cheap rookie contract, no real gain to cut him now
                      b: maybe he's got a lil something, we're (coaches) are gonna find out and decide later if he makes it.

Fact is they brought in 2 FAs and drafted another RB, not counting the FB - they didn't assign a lot of confidence in Spiller yet. They cleared out most of that room, but they didn't clear him out yet. What I saw in his limited running is a guy that didn't know how to run in the NFL - he ran tentative without burst or aggression. that shit dies in a hurry at the NFL level where defenders are all faster and stronger. maybe coaches think they can coach that shit up. if not they cut him after camp.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                        you envision a scenario where Lil John and Big Jim are in a room together, probably with Joe, and they are talking about players and roster, and Lil John is convincing Big Jim who are the players and Big Jim and Trader Joe just nod and defer to his analysis?
                        There IS another possibility...maybe Johnboy isn't even IN the room...

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

There IS another possibility...maybe Johnboy isn't even IN the room...
                          They need Johnny there to take the minutes . . . . . . . . . if he wants to do anything else he should be banned from the building

Comment

Working...
                          X