• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

TT was the 'good enough' guy. Hortiz is the 'never good enough' guy . . . . . . . . . . . major difference
    I was shocked to see the Raiders make Telesco their GM. Not sure what it was they saw in his 'Charger Dynasty' <rolleyes> that brought about the decision.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Rich Ohrnberger?
      That's right ....

TT let the center position be unstable for the rest of McCoy's tenure and beyond:

The 1 game Chris Watt expirement opening day of 2015 .... I liked him at guard, bad luck?
      And then bringing in Matt Slauson, who mostly played guard throughout his career;
      And then drafting a guy on the smallish size who blew out his knee his senior year;
      And then brining in Pouncey, who was obviously on his last legs;
      And then again drafting a guard and thinking you'll transition him to center.
      And then bringing in a guy who was 30 +.

Oops! I forgot about the 5'11" David Moll.

11 years of f..king around as Charger's GM,

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I really think Telesco took it to heart over the past three years to fix the oline. It's just that Staley didn't know what he was doing on offense (Letting Steichen walk) and at the same time doing very weird things on defense. Staley got Telesco fired because he exasperated his weaknesses to the point that both had to go in the end.
        Does Jim Harbaugh go into a season with Storm Norton starting at RT? Staley had tape on what Storm offered at RT in an NFL game from his previous season.
        Storm has not been on an active NFL roster since departing L.A.

Comment

• CivilBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I was shocked to see the Raiders make Telesco their GM. Not sure what it was they saw in his 'Charger Dynasty' <rolleyes> that brought about the decision.
          They probably wants TT to find their franchise QB. They don’t care about his other blunders.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Trevor Robinson was the #3 center,
            behind Hardwick & a decent backup .... who also went down.

Who was that guy?
            I forgot his name.
            By 2014, Nick Hardwick was 33/34 years old and in decline.
            A neck injury landed him on IR and he retired after the season... before the draft.
            Ornsberger was a 4th round pick by the Patriots. He didn't make the team and was put on their practice squad.

How hard was it for Hortiz to pick up a real, starting center this offseason?
            Had Hortiz not been able to pick Bozeman up... would he be rolling with Trevor Robinson and DJ Walton @center...?

In 2015, TT rolled in with Hairiston (LT), over-priced Orlando Franklin (LG), Treveor Robinson (OC), failed OT Fluker (RG), and over-priced Joe Barksdale. And then people are surprised to see the team go 4-12.

You better draft better... or you end up with everybody else's cast-offs... with over-priced contracts.
            OLineCentric

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              JH3 and Me
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

They probably wants TT to find their franchise QB. They don’t care about his other blunders.
              What’s TT’s secret skill there - suck so bad you get a Top 5 or 6 pick?

I would have picked Herbie over Tua any day, any slot, any time, always and forever, and said so prior to draft and I’m not GM material (ok, maybe I am). But TT didnt even make that choice. MIA made it for him - There was one top QB left when he drafted and he took him.

TT pitch to LVR:
              - i had consistently great rosters, unfortunately my bosses interfered in selecting unproven rookie coaches that could not translate the talent onto the field over my objections because they were just cheap pricks.

MD Reply
              - don’t worry about that - we’ve got Antonio Pierce, and he’s a player’s coach and hes got grit and snarl and everything you need in a HC …

Dean’s Reply
              - Jim Harbaugh

Check and Mate!
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

What’s TT’s secret skill there - suck so bad you get a Top 5 or 6 pick?

I would have picked Herbie over Tua any day, any slot, any time, always and forever, and said so prior to draft and I’m not GM material (ok, maybe I am). But TT didnt even make that choice. MIA made it for him - There was one top QB left when he drafted and he took him.

TT pitch to LVR:
                - i had consistently great rosters, unfortunately my bosses interfered in selecting unproven rookie coaches that could not translate the talent onto the field over my objections because they were just cheap pricks.

MD Reply
                - don’t worry about that - we’ve got Antonio Pierce, and he’s a player’s coach and hes got grit and snarl and everything you need in a HC …

Dean’s Reply
                - Jim Harbaugh

Check and Mate!
                I doubt Harbaugh would have taken the job if TT is the GM

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

From things being said here in LV, it was his experience as a GM. They didnt have any other candidates that had GM experience. Especially since Pierce doesnt have much experience as a HC they wanted a experienced GM.

They brought in Marvin Lewis to mentor/help Pierce (Pierces choice, not TT) but he wasnt great at Cininnati and has zero playoff wins in limited appearances.
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-17-2024, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

His "investment" in Fluker was a disaster from almost Day 1.
                    But once they understood he was a guard (rather than an OT)... what did they do to remedy the situation?
                    They over-paid for Joe Barksdale whom the Raiders didn't bring back. He was a decent pass-blocker but a piss-poor run blocker.
                    Neither Roman nor Hortiz would have brought Barksdale in. They would have drafted a quality OT.
                    And what was their plan after Hardwick got old and hurt...? FA UDFA Trevor Robinson.
                    Clary got replaced with Troutman. Dunlap got replaced with Chris Hairiston. Fluker replaced with Kenny Wiggans... Sam Tevi... Trenton Scott... on and on and on.
                    FA's other teams wouldn't re-sign. Players on the cheap with injury histories. Call those "investments" if you'd like.
                    But if you plan on starting Spencer Pulley at center and Kenny Wiggans at guard... don't plan on making the playoffs (even if you have 6 Pro Bowlers playing on the team).

Investment along the OL... C'mon, you can't point out the infrequent attempts without mentioning the numerous times there was a lack of effort.
                    Fluker was a disaster, but he did take him in RD 1, which is an investment that did not work out. Thanks for agreeing with me.
                    Hold on there. Hardwick was a 3rd rounder. We drafted Tuerk who was also a 3rd rounder. Didn't work out, but again was an investment.
                    Who where Freeney and Lamp? Tevi was supposed to be a backup. Quessenbery same thing. None worked out, but it's not likeTT
                    ignored the O line. Then came Slater and Zion. Not even touching all the FAs that were brought in but didn't work out.

So again not saying that TT did a good job with the O line, but he did try. If you want to compare TT with Hortiz and Harbaugh to Lynn, McCoy
                    and Staley, knock yourself out.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

By 2014, Nick Hardwick was 33/34 years old and in decline.
                      A neck injury landed him on IR and he retired after the season... before the draft.
                      Ornsberger was a 4th round pick by the Patriots. He didn't make the team and was put on their practice squad.

How hard was it for Hortiz to pick up a real, starting center this offseason?
                      Had Hortiz not been able to pick Bozeman up... would he be rolling with Trevor Robinson and DJ Walton @center...?

In 2015, TT rolled in with Hairiston (LT), over-priced Orlando Franklin (LG), Treveor Robinson (OC), failed OT Fluker (RG), and over-priced Joe Barksdale. And then people are surprised to see the team go 4-12.

You better draft better... or you end up with everybody else's cast-offs... with over-priced contracts.
                      We'll see ... Bozeman has not played a down with the Chargers.
                      However, I agree with you ..... not hard at all to get something half-way resembling a starting center, or right tackle.

King Dunlap was probably penned to start sometime in 2015, he was still around in 2016.
                      One problem with Telesco was that he was always waiting on this guy to develop, or that guy to get healthy.

They should have cut bait earlier with a lot of guys, but let it influence their passivity.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

I was not down on McCoy, unlike everyone else. That 2014 team started out so promising, and then they lost Mathews, Wood head, Dunlap, all those centers.
                        Rivers was playing like the league MVP until he developed the bulging disc back problem.

When McCoy had something to work with, his teams were capable of winning playoff games.

Staley's teams, on the other hand, walked around like a punch drunk sailor during the season, eventually falling on their face.

Face plant against the Raiders in 2021, against Jacksonville in 2022, and again against the Raiders in 2023.

Comment

• el_jefe999
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2023
                          • Send PM

I've been pleased with the roster build philosophy this offseason but would still like to see the team pickup a vet CB as an insurance policy for Fulton. A more limited, at this point in their career, that still plays with good technique like Peterson or Gilmore could contribute here. I'd still also like at least one DL signed, maybe 2 after roster cuts happen. Asking prices for the remaining free agents will definitely start coming down as we get closer to camp.

It's pretty crazy to think we still have 25ish million in cap space after we started the offseason in cap hell.

Comment

Working...
                          X